Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it really Clock Spring

Zeeshan Ahmad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive 2001 3.8L
Hi everyone
I have a Holden commodore 2001 VX ecotec. Its Air bag light is continuously ON & gives 3 beeps when car is started.
Further, Car horn is not working + Steering Audio controls are also not working.

Am I right to believe that all the three cables of clock spring have been broken & I need to replace the clock spring?

I don't want to get surprised after busying a new clock spring & opening steering that clock spring is working fine.

Is there any possibility that these issues are due to some other problem?

Thanks for the guidance

SID888

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX1 5.7L Berlina Wagon A4
Had the same problems you have, airbag light on for 6 months or so then horn and steering wheel controls stopped working. Replaced clock spring with a second hand one, $20 from wreckers and all fixed. You will still have to get the airbag light reset with tech2 after replacing the clock spring.

Zeeshan Ahmad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive 2001 3.8L
Thanks SID888

How difficult it is to replace clock spring? I am a handy man & recently replaced car drive belt by myself. Any DOs / DO NOTs for doing this?

If I replace clock spring & do not get the light reset by tech-2, will it affect working of air bag in case of crash?

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
Do disconnect the battery before starting.
Do obtain a service manual. PM me if you need a download link to the PDF for the VT - VYII service manual.
Don't do the job without adequate beer supply.

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
try this link to guide you.
Australian LS1 and Holden Forums › ... › General Forums › General Automotive
his the guide.
Check you have the pin code for the radio.
If 1 is a tick ... disconnect the battery (stops airbag going off)
Remove the 4 tamperproof torx screws that secure the airbag to the steering wheel.
Once all 4 are removed ... GENTLY wriggle the airbag forward enough so that you can disconnect the airbag/horn/stereo control wires. The airbag wire just plugs in and pulls out with some gentle wriggling.
Once airbag removed ... NOTE HOW THE WIRES RUN THROUGH THE STEERING WHEEL.
Grab a 16mm (I think :confused: ) socket and undo the bolt on the steering wheel.
Once the bolt is removed the steering wheel should come away from the steering column.

NOTE: BE careful when removing the steering wheel, you'll need to guide the airbg/stereo/horn wires carefully through the appropriate slot in the wheel.

also allow time to drain the power out of the system 10 min -20 min , also make sure when fitting the steering wheels and wheels are straight , also the clock spring is centred before fitting to avoid braking it

Zeeshan Ahmad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive 2001 3.8L
Thanks.

please guide for the last Q "If I replace clock spring & do not get the light reset by tech-2, will it affect working of air bag in case of crash? "

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
yes you have to clear the faults to remove the light.

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
u will need a T20 OR T30 torx key to remove the screws if you don't have any bunnings have a set for around 20 mark or try repco .

Zeeshan Ahmad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive 2001 3.8L
I have T20 & T30 Torx keys. Not clear on last Q that if I replace clock spring to okay the circuit but don't get air bag light reset, will airbag pop up in case of crash or not??

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
until you clear the fault codes and light goes out the air bag will not work.