Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it worth spending $5k on a v6, I already have, or converting my one tonner to LS1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Seriously that's you reply?

My comment was about adding boost to the Ecotec, but that must be too hard for you to comprehend ay sabbath? It's easy for you to ignore that point about adding boost & to quote a post that I made in another thread, yes it cost Gilb $15000 to get his N/A V6 to make 217rwkw or 291rwhp (this includes the cost of his car, as well as numerous engine rebuilds & lots of tuning) but that doesn't matter does it? No...Please go ahead & take it out of context & that post in the other thread had nothing to do with this one & is irrelevant.

JetV6 had spent roughly $25000 on his engine it has run numerous mid to high 9 second quarter mile passes & has made a best 513rwkw, that pretty impressive considering that's over 4 times the amount of power they came out with stock.

If you can properly do boost on an Ecotec and not #### the whole thing up, with a budget of 5 grand, then I will eat 10 dicks.

The guy has 5 grand, its not a pissing contest to see who has a bigger wallet than they have brains.

A LS1 conversion can easily be done to a VY for less and he will have FAR more power than he ever would spending 5 grand on an Ecotec.

15 grand to get an NA V6 to 217rwkw. Thats hilarious. It cost me 13k including the cost of my car to get 230.

5 grand is not going to get him close to LS1 power levels, I dont even know why you brought up these people spending 10k++ other than trying justify spending the same bucks on your V6.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
If you can properly do boost on an Ecotec and not #### the whole thing up, with a budget of 5 grand, then I will eat 10 dicks.

The guy has 5 grand, its not a pissing contest to see who has a bigger wallet than they have brains.

A LS1 conversion can easily be done to a VY for less and he will have FAR more power than he ever would spending 5 grand on an Ecotec.

15 grand to get an NA V6 to 217rwkw. Thats hilarious. It cost me 13k including the cost of my car to get 230.

5 grand is not going to get him close to LS1 power levels, I dont even know why you brought up these people spending 10k++ other than trying justify spending the same bucks on your V6.

Grennan I have boost in my Ecotec & it would be as fast (if not slightly faster) than a standard LS1 & my whole setup cost me less than $3300.

The OP did say he may have another $5000 to go on top of the $5000 he already has. $10000 could get him a very fast Ecotec, the only issue would be that he would have to upgrade his gearbox & diff as well.

Assume he has only $5000:
A second hand set of extractors, a catback exhaust system & new cats could easily be had for under $1000, get a second hand set of roller rockers for around $450 & then the OP would have $3550 left for a supercharger kit (my Powerdyne kit cost me $850 second hand with a tune from CAPA), if the op got one as cheap as mine he'd have $2700 left for a tune & other goodies. All that & he'd have a car that's slightly faster than one with a stock LS1 in it, except he didn't have to do a whole transplant to get it.

"15 grand to get an NA V6 to 217rwkw. Thats hilarious. It cost me 13k including the cost of my car to get 230."

Have you just stated that it cost Gilb only $2000 more to get his N/A Ecotec to make almost the same power as your V8 did? Please don't do what sabbath did & quote that $15000 was used to make 217rwkw, again this includes the cost of his car, as well as numerous engine rebuilds & lots of tuning.

P.s. I didn't bring any figure into the conversation until sabbath did with one of my previous posts in another thread.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Have you just stated that it cost Gilb only $2000 more to get his N/A Ecotec to make almost the same power as your V8 did? Please don't do what sabbath did & quote that $15000 was used to make 217rwkw, again this includes the cost of his car, as well as numerous engine rebuilds & lots of tuning.

Was that part of the process to get his car to those power levels?

Yes. The end.

My figure also included the cost of my car and tuning. Just because he had to do more tuning doesnt make it any less relevant to the overall cost.

Also $3,300 to get your car boosted, how reliable is it? What other supporting mods have you done? Ie fuel system etc. Does that include the cost of tunes etc? Because thats all part of the overall process and cost.

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
Although it's a pretty safe bet, it's not 100%. I would never put the option of eating 10 dicks on the table.

Be different and chuck a sr20 or rb30 in there.

Its cheaper, easyer, more powerful and sounds better to do the conversion to an ls1.
Why is this even a debate?

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Although it's a pretty safe bet, it's not 100%. I would never put the option of eating 10 dicks on the table.

?

I threw it out there because I know the overall cost and process involved in putting a turbo kit into a commodore.

I know that taking into account fuel system and tuning which are part of it, the cost is well over 5 grand for a kit worth using. Then throw on top of that money to get it reliable.

Anyone that says their kit was 3 grand and got it fully working and is reliable and isnt gonna end in fire is leaving out some pretty key details.

On the topic of SR or RB - youd have to get in engineered. Chuck an LS1 in there and head down to Vic Roads (or whomever) with the engine number. Job done. Because the engine was an option for that car its a simple swap.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
A Raptor kit is $5k, DIY, and has recommendations but not prerequisites outside of the kit contents. But let me guess; that's not 'proper' boost?

And unless Delco is a figment of our imagination, that's a very game bet, or you like the dick.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
A Raptor kit is $5k, DIY, and has recommendations but not prerequisites outside of the kit contents. But let me guess; that's not 'proper' boost?

And unless Delco is a figment of our imagination, that's a very game bet, or you like the dick.

So there is nothing else to do on that kit other than to drive it happily? No tuning costs?

*edit*

Just had a quick look, fair enough there is a kit there for 5 grand. Present me with 10 dicks.

Its not intercooled though and is running 9PSI+

I do question the reliability of it though and wonder how long your average engine would last.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
So there is nothing else to do on that kit other than to drive it happily? No tuning costs?

*edit*

Just had a quick look, fair enough there is a kit there for 5 grand. Present me with 10 dicks.

Its not intercooled though and is running 9PSI+

I do question the reliability of it though and wonder how long your average engine would last.

It's debatable, I'd let you off the dicks, but barely :p Without a shift kit you're certainly pressing your luck on a 4L slusher. As for engine reliability it's excellent given it's centrifugal and the KW don't come til high up, the kit on mine did 60K on the unopened Emo before it and has hit 25k on mine.

Just to be clear though, in the OP's instance I would also agree given it's a Vboat model, the LS1 wreck conversion would be the option of choice. That's what I'd do.

Status
Not open for further replies.