Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is there a difference between genuine and non-genuine panels?

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
Are genuine body panels worth the huge price difference or is metal all the same and aftermarket OEM panels and plastic body parts such as bumper bar covers just as good as OEM?

I don't see how non-genuine panels would be inferior if the panel is not physically strained such as in an accident. So in essence, its just cosmetic and only as good as the paint that is applied on it.

Am I missing something here?

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
gaps and alignment, and other things along those lines from when they were made.

ie they may look the same but when you put it on the car will not line up, or be poorly made.

now we wait for ryder to show up for his expertise :p

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
After seeing a genuine and non genuine vz front guard side by side all i can say is that the non genuine is about half the thickness of a genuine item.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
a mate of mine has a vy with a taiwan front on it. hail hit it, and only the taiwan panels had dents. (so yes to thinner steel)

in the last 3 months ive painted 6 taiwan BA xr8 bonnets. genuine there like 14 or $1500 bucks from ford. reproduction taiwan there $300. the fit and finish for $300 i thought was excellent. but there not all as good as the ones i painted...

it all depends on what your looking for dude, if you want schmick fit and finish, go genuine. if you dont care and want to save money go taiwan...

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
what I want is a perfect fit (exactly like genuine) but the thickness I don't care much about. We don't get hail here and if I, god forbid, get in an accident then genuine or not it will need to be replaced.

I thought the Taiwanese guards fit just like genuine. No??

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
As said above, it all depends on the manufacturer. Some will fit better and will be better finished than others.

Thinner metal can be a bit of a bastard to work with if you need to apply and sand filler because the panel moves inwards as you try to sand the filler flat leaving you with high and low spots. That's just my very limited experience though, I'm no expert by any means

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Thinner metal can be a bit of a bastard to work with if you need to apply and sand filler because the panel moves inwards as you try to sand the filler flat leaving you with high and low spots.
The oil can effect is happening because you haven't got the panel tight before applying the bog.
The way I get light panels tight
dungerhammer_zps8d1f6e62.jpg

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Here is a good image to show the strength of aftermarket panels. Front guards in particular.

A mate of mine got hit by a car who suddenly merged from left to right.
Here is the damage to the car that caused the accident -

and here is the damage to the aftermarket panel -

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
The oil can effect is happening because you haven't got the panel tight before applying the bog.
The way I get light panels tight
dungerhammer_zps8d1f6e62.jpg
I understand what you mean, but it's certainly not oil canning. The panel's just thin, so you need to make sure you don't push too hard when sanding and just let the sandpaper do it's work. Still, it's a long process for a noob like me. (Getting quicker though!) lol

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
Here is a good image to show the strength of aftermarket panels. Front guards in particular.

A mate of mine got hit by a car who suddenly merged from left to right.
Here is the damage to the car that caused the accident -

and here is the damage to the aftermarket panel -

aesthetically, before the accident, it looked genuine though, right?