Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is there a way to remove rear springs without a spring compressor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
OP, Its best not to even hint about doing anything dodgey (or out of the norm) on this website,

Yes how wrong of members not to support people doing dodgy work on cars they share the road with!

Maybe just for you we could start a bush mechanics sections and encourage people to cut their springs for instance and support people who have no idea which end of a spanner to hold to fix their brakes or other critical components. These people risk their own lives and those around them driving unsafe cars if not fixed correctly. You can get help on here, there are 1000's of posts to prove that, but when members start asking the bleeding obvious and it's apparent they know nothing they will be told.

Thing is these people stuff up and there is a chance they will come back here and start blaming those for helping them, therefore it's best to tell them to put the tools down, walk away and get someone who knows what they are doing.

Tough love.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition

HoldenOn

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS equip, 4.2L stroker on its way.
In my experience, go buy the proper tools. Sure you can do jobs without, but it's a pain in the ass and sometimes dangerous. If you buy the tools, you will then be able to do the job easier and safer every time you do it.

ripper6

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 vs acclaim
If you dont have any stands mate, big bits of wood will do (like lengths of 12"x12").

OP, Its best not to even hint about doing anything dodgey (or out of the norm) on this website, because unless your a forum sponsor, youll get flamed by a hundred internet mechanics telling you your a child, an idiot, a criminal, cant spell etc. But thats how forum mentality works, Its a bit like being on that tv show Jeremy Kyle.

Well said mate. I have my own wood blocks I use most of the time, and people just jump to the conclusion that I'm full body under the car haha I have a set of ramps whenever I need to get under the car fully, but people here shoot first ask later. Anyway thanks for the advise and all the other decent people answering my actual question.

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
Yes how wrong of members not to support people doing dodgy work on cars they share the road with!

Maybe just for you we could start a bush mechanics sections and encourage people to cut their springs for instance and support people who have no idea which end of a spanner to hold to fix their brakes or other critical components. These people risk their own lives and those around them driving unsafe cars if not fixed correctly. You can get help on here, there are 1000's of posts to prove that, but when members start asking the bleeding obvious and it's apparent they know nothing they will be told.

Thing is these people stuff up and there is a chance they will come back here and start blaming those for helping them, therefore it's best to tell them to put the tools down, walk away and get someone who knows what they are doing.

Tough love.

Have you read the quote in your sig mate?

That guy was right on the money there.

And Like I said bro, if he were a forum sponsor and included the clause "only for offroad use" nobody would have a problem with it.

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Well said mate. I have my own wood blocks I use most of the time, and people just jump to the conclusion that I'm full body under the car haha I have a set of ramps whenever I need to get under the car fully, but people here shoot first ask later. Anyway thanks for the advise and all the other decent people answering my actual question.

Ramps aren't going to do you much good if your trying to remove your springs!

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine

I don't have balls, so please don't call me mate. Yes my signature is a perfect example of if you are a Princess and can't handle tough love then you should pack up your ball and go home. As I said 1000's of other posts are full of good questions followed by sound and helpful advice.

And Like I said bro,

I have a vagina so I can't be your bro, sorry.

if he were a forum sponsor and included the clause "only for offroad use" nobody would have a problem with it.

Oh I think they would in this instance as the OP is talking about his daily driver so people would jump all over it still.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe

didnt need to ask questions first when in your first post you stated

but I only have a little 1400kg jack. also no car stands either.

if you had've not added this tidbit of info, no one wouldve told you to buy stands.

ramps are good, but probably wont help for doing the rear springs, most likely not high enough(if you put them under the body). blocks of wood, im not a huge fan of, as they can split, but theyre definately better than a jack only. i still say, buy some proper stands.

That guy was right on the money there.

And Like I said bro, if he were a forum sponsor and included the clause "only for offroad use" nobody would have a problem with it.

if it was a forum sponsor saying "no car stands either", i dare say plenty of people would still get uppity about it. thats bad practice coming from a business, working on customers cars.

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
I don't have balls, so please don't call me mate. Yes my signature is a perfect example of if you are a Princess and can't handle tough love then you should pack up your ball and go home. As I said 1000's of other posts are full of good questions followed by sound and helpful advice.

I have a vagina so I can't be your bro, sorry.

Oh I think they would in this instance as the OP is talking about his daily driver so people would jump all over it still.

Sorry, Didnt realize girls cant be mates in aussie.

This is getting stupid. I was just pointing out that forum members were overly harsh on the guy when all he did was ask for suggestions on how to remove his springs and pointing out that he didnt have certain tools. Now, as usual, the forum mentality kicks in.

Status
Not open for further replies.