Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is this possible or am I dreaming? LCD monitor mounting.

MyPetFly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 & VXII S
have you started the second? or thought of a design? same place? im really interested in this thread, keep up the good work

also, where did you get all your fibreglass gear from? how much was it? thanks

I will definitely mount the screen in the same place. I am happy with the basic design but it needs to look a lot less bulky (in my opinion). I got out of bed at 6am this morning and took to it with my rotary cutting tool (Dremel) and my belt sander (took me about 2hrs). I have decided I will keep playing with proto 1 because I am learning heaps as I go. I am going to cap it at another 10hrs on proto 1 and if I'm still not happy with it I am going to start again.

It looks pretty crap at the moment because I have done a heap of cutting, sanding and bogging but I can post a few new pics toight.

In relation to the fibre glass I just looked up hobbie shops in the yellow pages and stumbled across the ad for the fibreglass place. I think I am luck that I found this old guy as he has been very helpful (been back to see him 5 times for advice). All up so far I have spent about $150 on foam, fibreglass, resin, sandpaper and a few extras but I have enough supplies to make 3 prototypes. The cost of the fibreglass is minor compared with the man hours that go into prototype development.

If I get it right and it all looks good I will see if there is enough interest from members of this forum and some of the overseas ones (the Pontiac GTO in the US and Vauxhall in Europe are the same as our Monaro) to get a mould made. This should not be expensive and I don't want anything for it. If it looks good and people like it I will be happy. If there was a mould made I wouldn't think it would cost more than a couple of hundred dollars to get one made and shipped anywhere in the country (as long as I didn't have to organise it or be involved).

MyPetFly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 & VXII S
For those that are interested here are a few pics of the 7" touch screen I will be using.

screen1.jpg

screen2.jpg

After doing a lot of slimming down on prototype 1 it is starting to look more stylish now. I did a heap of bogging last night and once I give it a bit of a sand I will post some more pics.

MyPetFly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 & VXII S
For those that are interested heres some more pics that are up to date. I spent about 3 hours on proto 1 today and I am pretty happy with it now. I just have to put a thin layer of fibreglass over what you see in the photos and then start the fine sanding process to get it perfect and ready to paint (the fine sanding will take forever I think but it will be worth it . . . the finish is everything)

sanded1.jpg

sanded2.jpg

sanded3.jpg

sanded4.jpg

sanded5.jpg

Will be knocking off work at lunch time tomorrow so I can get home and put the final layer of glass on. The 2 hours later I can start sanding and I guess thats how I will spend my Friday night!

MyPetFly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 & VXII S
I couldn't help myself . . . I took this photo this morning to get an idea of what it will look like when the LCD touch screen is installed.

dummy1.jpg

lacy18

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Congrats mate, I reckon it looks great! All your hard work is paying off and in regards to making a mould for it, I think a lot of people might be interested once they see the final outcome of yours :thumbsup:

HUMBLZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
looking good,u sure u will be able to view the whole screen good from drivers and passenger side as its recessed?

RichoVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VZ Executive
looking real good mate, keep it up. what about number 2? or are you sticking with number 1?

=SKB=

Reaction score
looking good,u sure u will be able to view the whole screen good from drivers and passenger side as its recessed?

Good point. Test the screen in your latest housing to make sure before you put more hours in.

Should look good when finished.

MyPetFly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 & VXII S

Yep. I have been driving around all day with it mounted in place on the dash (with the cut out picture stuck in) and there is no probs seeing the whole screen. Even better it is impossible for the screen to be in full sunlight due it being recessed and the angle of the roof of the car . . . . pretty cool design . . . but really just fluke!

HUMBLZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
oh ok well thats good to hear..painting it the charcoal colour to blend in with the rest of the dash are you?i was thinking of moding my compartment under the standard stereo to fit a motorized 7' single din screen in..