Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is This The Start Of Something Bigger, US Banking Collapse?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
Bring on USD <> AUD parity again!

(I need to do some shopping!)

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
My reading of this is that it is caused by a run on deposit funds due to borrowing costs being elevated so depositors are using their own capital rather than borrowing.

No bank can withstand a big run on funds.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
No bank can withstand a run on funds. But there has to be a reason why it started and more importantly if it can be stopped before to many other banks fall victim too.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
No bank can withstand a run on funds. But there has to be a reason why it started and more importantly if it can be stopped before too many other banks fall victim too.

‘The economy’ and the stock market are just as much about emotions and feelings as they are on any ‘economic science’ (a term that is an oxymoron in my books) or logic.

Markets get spooked and the economy takes a hit - there seems to be no rhyme or reason behind it.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Lets see if it emotion takes down any more banks.

It's certainly make the NZ markets take note.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
It's certainly make the NZ markets take note.

… and many other overseas markets. And that in itself is weird. I don’t know how many times I’ve heard news reports that the US market is down and that it is expected that the AU market will also be down when markets open in the morning. Okay, the US is having a bad day, but why does that make the other markets also go down? If anything, it should make them go up (where are these people who are moving huge amounts of money moving that money to?).

As far as I can tell, there are no fundamental laws for economics (compared to fundamental laws for physics). Markets are simply ‘valued’ by the last few transactions and that value extrapolated to give the total value of the market. That works okay for relatively small transactions, but it doesn’t actually equate to the real value of the market. For example, we could say a VE ute is worth $40,000 because one recently sold for that amount. But if every VE ute owner decided to sell at the same time, they’d be valued at next to nothing. Same car, different ‘markets’ and way different values.

Markets are much the same. For some reason (a very wealthy) someone gets spooked and sells a truck load of stock (maybe they just want to buy a new super yacht?). Selling naturally depresses the price at bit. If other stock owners take this as an omen and also decide to sell this can cause as a run or collapse of that stock. The weird thing is that the company that is being sold up is probably doing exactly what they were previously doing, and everyone who works there are probably doing exactly the same work, and producing the same whatever they produce - nothing has changed, but it’s value of the company on the market.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I believe quite a few NZ companies had deposits with the first bank so that's effected their liquidity potentially. NZ's Rocket Lab had $38 million in deposits there as one example. Another NZ company withdrew all their funds 30 minutes before it fell over. One article said various NZ companies had a combines deposits worth $170 million.

So now we wait and see if it spreads.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
No bank can withstand a run on funds. But there has to be a reason why it started and more importantly if it can be stopped before to many other banks fall victim too.
The Silicon Valley Bank put most of their spare deposit funds into US treasuries from what I understand. Normally that’d be a pretty safe bet but in the current environment not so much.

The value of US treasuries (and all treasuries/bonds for that matter) goes down as the interest rate goes up, which left them short of liquidity and having to write down the value of their assets. Throw in some publicly on their predicament and the rest is history as they say.