Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Itunes

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
I should have asked was there anyway I can just connect my ipod to my new laptop and sync all of my music with my new itunes program? That way I dont have to stuff around with playlists again. And I can recover my downloaded music that I deleted off my computer. Probably wishful thinking.

Nope, you can't sync the content off an iPod onto another PC into iTunes. You could copy the data off it, but as all the file names are stripped and split into their weirdo file system it would be next to useless.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
There may be a program out there that will rip everything off the ipod? Worth looking into I guess.

MudBlood

Insert Cool Title Here
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim + VZ SV6 + VY Gen3 SS Crewman
Link 1 - iPod to iTunes

Ask Dave Taylor

There are ways of getting the software without paying for it,,,, but, unfortunately i cannot say on here.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
  1. Open iTunes
  2. Menu -> File -> Library -> Consolidate library
  3. Menu -> iTunes -> Preferences -> Advanced
  4. Make a note of "iTunes music folder location"
  5. In Windows/Finder locate the folder WHICH CONTAINS the folder from the previous step (usually this is called "iTunes")
  6. Copy this folder from old computer to new computer (using whatever means you prefer)
  7. Open iTunes on the new computer
  8. Menu -> iTunes -> Preferences -> Advanced
  9. Next to "iTunes Music folder location" click "Change"
  10. Browse to the folder you copied across

That should do it. Those are the instructions on a Mac, they are very similar on PC but the menu locations might be slightly different.

drewins

swear word
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore wagon
^thanks for that. I wont have any time till next week to do it but when I do i'll let you know how I went

thanks all

drewins

swear word
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore wagon
  1. Open iTunes
  2. Menu -> File -> Library -> Consolidate library
  3. Menu -> iTunes -> Preferences -> Advanced
  4. Make a note of "iTunes music folder location"
  5. In Windows/Finder locate the folder WHICH CONTAINS the folder from the previous step (usually this is called "iTunes")
  6. Copy this folder from old computer to new computer (using whatever means you prefer)
  7. Open iTunes on the new computer
  8. Menu -> iTunes -> Preferences -> Advanced
  9. Next to "iTunes Music folder location" click "Change"
  10. Browse to the folder you copied across

That should do it. Those are the instructions on a Mac, they are very similar on PC but the menu locations might be slightly different.

Probably a dumb question but could I just copy parts of the folder at a time as I only have a 4gb mem stick. Wont matter?

sl33per

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
95 VS Executive
lmao
this thread has amused me a little bit
how do people think that if you have music on their itunes, its not on their computer and cant be copy/cut-pasted?
how the hell does your itunes play the music then?
of course all your music is on the computer itself in folders.
unless ur a neat freak like myself, i have all my music in the one folder, even if i download an album or songs, i cut-paste them into my itunes folder so if i do upgrade my system, or change os, i dont have to manually search for the 3000 something songs i have.
i found a good old program on the net awhile ago that will copy your music from any ipod that you plug in to your computer.
its called sharepod, ive never used it but have opened it up and had a look at it
u could give that a go and if u need me to send it thru email, just pm me.
worth a shot anyway
..if you are still having problems getting your music over, as i am thread digging lol, my bad

sl33per

Static89

I Am Ironman.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S1
mate the way i did it was searched for all music files Start/search/music then i cleard all the music off my ipod, opend up my computer folder, opend up i pod, and copied it all into there, same way u would with a USB or a external hardrive, wich is what it makes your ipod takes a while if u have a bunch of music, but u dont have to buy anything all u have to do is spend time waiting for it to transfer and do all the normal i tunes crap

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Probably a dumb question but could I just copy parts of the folder at a time as I only have a 4gb mem stick. Wont matter?

Oops, 2 months old, I missed this so you've probably figured it out, but yes that should be fine. You just need to make sure you re-assemble the folders etc right.

of course all your music is on the computer itself in folders.
unless ur a neat freak like myself, i have all my music in the one folder, even if i download an album or songs, i cut-paste them into my itunes folder so if i do upgrade my system, or change os, i dont have to manually search for the 3000 something songs i have.

You know iTunes will do all that for you automatically right? In the preferences, under Advanced there are two options: "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library".

If you have both of these options turned on iTunes will store everything you put in it by artist/album and name the files by the track number and song title.

If you don't want iTunes to copy everything automatically, you can manually sort everything by choosing "File -> Library -> Consolidate Library".

ruggj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Exec 01
ive moved my itunes library over 4 different pcs now. i make a complete image of the drive using symantec ghost, copy it over to the new drive. then i copy the ituneslibrary.itl file to the new itunes folder, put all my music in the same locations they were before, and nothings changed. if i cant find some songs or videos (usually videos most of my music is in organised folders except for a tiny bit), i just get a program to take the songs off my ipod and to my pc.