Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Jaycar Response Dissapointment - Ive lost $500!!!

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Thanks LeViaTHaN, i have a wholesale account with Electus for several years and installed many of the Response range of products, only had one small problem with an amp in my personal car but that was fixed quickly and without hassle at all.

stevoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
s2 vt ss
i have had problems with the response stuff before, bought the dvd head unit and 7" flip out screen, the screen was great no probs, the dvd player i exchanged 3 seperate units all with a cd receieving mechanism problems, got awsome help from the staff and they gave me another exchange but by the time i recieved it i already bought a jvc double din touch screen, so they are sitting in my room at home till i can find a reason to use them, will give em another go one day.

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
all my response stuff is all still workin n sounding good now, still trips into protect when its pumping every now n then tho, hardly, compared to the onse i sent back

eh holdenboy how cheap do electus sell there amps for i couldnt believe it

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Haha, yeah not too bad ;)....its all based on quantity buys though, same as Jaycar does it.

Just out of curiosity are you running a decent battery?
Maybe just check out the voltage at the amps' terminals when shes pumping.

Conkster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec Wagon
ive got 2 response subs (new range) and ive had to take one back so far as the suspension bracket came loose and the dvd (nonscreen) headunit fastfoward button got stuck down so now the cd track changes radio station changes and even on bumps the cd ejects for some reason.

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
I'm the manager of a Jaycar Store. Let me point out the things that aren't supposed to happen.

Response is generally a high quality, low priced product. The amp you had problems with won amp of the year in HOT 4's, beating Kenwood and Alpine.
You have had a shocking, unbelievable experience, from unexperienced staff, that in my opinion, should not be working in a Jaycar store. I can't believe what they told you. I would have expected that s**t from a kid behind the counter at Dick Smith Electronics, but not a Jaycar.
I sincerely apologise for your treatment, even though it's not my store. I urge you to write a letter of complaint to Head office, and get the people of this store to pull their heads in.

The point is here that it's a disappointment. It's just not what we're accustomed to from Jaycar / Electus. I've been a customer of Jaycar - and then Electus - for well over twenty years. I have seen the quality slide dramatically in the recent past, and the emphasis now seems to be a "Toys-R-Us" for the electronic gadget fraternity. Cheap and NASTY Chinese made JUNK. And all of this aside from the blatantly unprofessional behaviour of the staff concerned with Matt's problem in the first place - such a situation would never have arisen if the equipment had been properly tested during manufacture/distrtibution. And even if it did - the amp should have been REPLACED - striaght up, no question. Yes the oddball can sometimes "sneak under the radar" during QA, but this is becoming the norm. (of course, if the replacement amp did the same thing, then maybe the amp's not at fault...)Oh, by the way - I'm now up to my FOURTH 4 x 50W amp failure - still waiting on the paperwork to arrive, as promised by the "friendly and helpful" head office staff. (that was promised a month or so ago...) I've been ordering from them as a registered business customer for over 2 1/2 years now - I've never had as much as a phone call from a customer "area rep" or similar.... I wonder if they'd notice if I stopped sending orders....

How sweet it is to pick up an olf Jaycar catalogue from 10 or 15 years ago and idly flip through the pages - there was no spruike on the cover about how many products were stocked, it was simply a good reference list for the average hobbyist enthusiast, and could be depended on as a reliable source of good quality products - from the individual components themselves, tools, cases, connectors, and just about everything else. For example, I refuse to buy my connectors from Electus any more, because they are RUBBISH now!! The last lot of RCA line sockets I bought - 100 of them - had to be individually opened up and the tarnish ground off with a ball end burr on the Dremel so I could get the solder to wet to them! Additionally, I had to get the soldered terminations done in record time, because the insulator was made from cheap plastic, and became deformed if too much heat had to be applied... :bang:

Sadly the same has happened to the other products in the range - Quality Assurance has slipped dramatically at a high level, and is trickling all the way down to the customer now. There was a time I would highly recommend Response amps and speakers for my installations - but now I'm very pleased to say that I've recently been made a JBL Car Audio dealer - so bye-bye Response I'm afraid..... I would never have pusued that in the first place if I'd remained happy with your stuff. Think about that.... ;)

CCCMikey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS '95. LPG. 513,000KM
Factory Units do weird things.

Hi there :)

Just a quick note on the factory units. I have two of them around the house and one in the car. (It takes a long time to crack the passwords but it's doable: 6 numbers, 4 digit password, 5 min retry.) Anyway that's beside the point...

These units are a bit weird in that the speaker outputs are not negative ground. (They're not any ground at all really.) As a result, depending on what you hook them up to you can get some interesting voltages flowing where you don't want 'em, with the possibility of frying the amp module in the factory unit or at least getting some weird noises. This might have been the OP's problem initially.

If you have to use it, you might need to add some resistors in line for safety. I did this when fitting an all-in-one Response sub.