Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
There will only be one Scummo.
Thats not entirely correct! They usually have different names, but the thing that they all have in common is that they are all called politicians. ;)

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
We do complain about our politicians and rightly so but who in their right mind would ever want the job. You have to be some special kind of nuts. Some of them however have been well quailified.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
We do complain about our politicians and rightly so but who in their right mind would ever want the job. You have to be some special kind of nuts. Some of them however have been well quailified.
My old man told me when l was a kid (teenager). The reason these people become politicians is because they are not smart enough to get a job in the private sector.

Not long later the pollies voted in they only had to be in politics for 10 years, then they could retire with at least a $million dolllars!

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
To be frank, I really don't care whether they get this voice in or not....I see it as another way for the pollies to spend tax payers money....

And yes call me ignorant, pig headed or what ever...I really don't care about it....

I checked my mail box before and here is a no card in there....It promptly went into the recycle bin, just to keep Greta happy
You are not on your own, the voice is doomed to fail bc most people who have any understanding of how the labour party works will understand this is all about money going into the hands of the pricks who least deserve it.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
My old man told me when l was a kid (teenager). The reason these people become politicians is because they are not smart enough to get a job in the private sector.

Not long later the pollies voted in they only had to be in politics for 10 years, then they could retire with at least a $million dolllars!

Careful of out of date information. Since the November 2004 new parliamentarians have only had access to an accumulation type of superannuation scheme. The employer contribution is about 15.5%. So ten-years of service (which would be a very long time in politics) would equal about 1.5 times their annual salary plus any interest earned along the way. I believe (but I’m not totally sure?) that the preservation age is the same as the general public. Yes, it’s a reasonably generous scheme but it isn’t like it’s a total windfall.

There would be very few serving Victorian parliamentarians still on the older defined benefits scheme.

Some information here (if anyone is interested)… https://www.vic.gov.au/sites/default/files/2020-12/MP superannuation review - issues paper.pdf

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It's still to much if you ask me.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
You are not on your own, the voice is doomed to fail bc most people who have any understanding of how the labour party works will understand this is all about money going into the hands of the pricks who least deserve it.
Not so sure that it will fail.
Seems that most ethnic, not born in Australia, city dwellers do not understand what it is all about, and are likely to be swayed by the loud, hysterical 'Yes' vote campaigners.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

I honestly think, peoples attitude towards other races need changing before things can move forward.

Don't get me wrong....Attitudes have changed over time towards other races, but there is still that minority that refuse to change what they think about other races and won't budge either way...

Oh and to be quite clear....I have no problems with any race/colour/religion.....

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
The perfect way to solve two problems with one sweeping change would be any politician can get a pension. $300,000 a year. That's fine. $500,000? Bring it on.

But.

The pension is reliant on performance in that cost blowouts of projects due to negligence and oversight in the planning or delivery phase not wholly out of their control (Im thinking one in 100 year pandemic style circumstances) then their pension is taxed at a rate of say...90% per year, every year until the blowouts are paid back.

You never know, it might actually make them more accountable with our money.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
The perfect way to solve two problems with one sweeping change would be any politician can get a pension. $300,000 a year. That's fine. $500,000? Bring it on.

But.

The pension is reliant on performance in that cost blowouts of projects due to negligence and oversight in the planning or delivery phase not wholly out of their control (Im thinking one in 100 year pandemic style circumstances) then their pension is taxed at a rate of say...90% per year, every year until the blowouts are paid back.

You never know, it might actually make them more accountable with our money.
Yeah these crazy pensions blow my mind, like a lifetime bonus even if you do poorly in the role.