Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Paying the monkeys (politicians) peanuts as is implied when compared to what company executives or whatever are paid, results in the monkeys doing what monkeys do. Covering their eyes and ears, grinning and throwing their sh1t at each other whilst throwing taxpayers money down the drain.

Great fun!……for the monkeys.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It would be better if we, as the voting public could fire politicians when they don't do as promised on election day.

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Was talking to an idiot yesterday who blamed the resources rent tax that was never passed into legislation on the post GFC property slump. Really? Didn't have anything to do with the fact a global recession was occurring, or that financial markets around the world were in turmoil?
You can't argue with these people. They believe what they want to & ignore evidence.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Paying the monkeys (politicians) peanuts as is implied when compared to what company executives or whatever are paid, results in the monkeys doing what monkeys do. Covering their eyes and ears, grinning and throwing their sh1t at each other whilst throwing taxpayers money down the drain.

I feel like that’s what we already get while paying big dollars. Same outcome with more money wasted.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon

Things become very murky when the public system and the private systems crossover. Politicians relying on donations for election funding is a recipe for corruption. That corruption might be soft corruption such as ‘look over there, nothing to see here’ type incentives. Banks (and supermarkets) are a good example. Banks donate to the major political parties and the politicians treat them well. Occasionally there might be an enquiry but it’s hard to remember any real action against them. “We had an enquiry and we had some very stern words with them” is about the extent of it.

Political parties often have fundraising dinners where ‘guests’ pay $10,000s for a seat at the table with a minister. There is ‘no such thing as a free lunch’, and there is no such thing as a free donation either. Favours from the politicians will be expected from these functions, and I suspect that it will be money very well spent.

Politicians should be making decisions for the general good, not just for the good of donors. Separating the payments from the decision makers would be an excellent start. Hell, any money being paid to a decision maker (or political party) has to be questionable.

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Labor is supposed to be the "sensible centre", but even I question some of their decisions (submarines, China, AUKUS, stage 3 tax cuts).
Transition to a greener world is good for the planet, however the cost of doing so will be very expensive & I doubt anyone other than corporations will benefit, financially. I don't think I'm ready to live on a diet of tofu & candlelight

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Things become very murky when the public system and the private systems crossover. Politicians relying on donations for election funding is a recipe for corruption. That corruption might be soft corruption such as ‘look over there, nothing to see here’ type incentives. Banks (and supermarkets) are a good example. Banks donate to the major political parties and the politicians treat them well. Occasionally there might be an enquiry but it’s hard to remember any real action against them. “We had an enquiry and we had some very stern words with them” is about the extent of it.

Political parties often have fundraising dinners where ‘guests’ pay $10,000s for a seat at the table with a minister. There is ‘no such thing as a free lunch’, and there is no such thing as a free donation either. Favours from the politicians will be expected from these functions, and I suspect that it will be money very well spent.

Politicians should be making decisions for the general good, not just for the good of donors. Separating the payments from the decision makers would be an excellent start. Hell, any money being paid to a decision maker (or political party) has to be questionable.

I've been saying for a very long time there should be no donations for political parties. Come election time each party and/or member are allocated X amount of dollars to run their campaign funded by the government, that way, no one has a cent more than anybody else and their can be no claims of bias. Campaign on ideas and personality and take the ******* money out of politics as it will soon get rid of those who are only in it for themselves and to get rich lining up jobs after and perks etc.

Government of the people, by the people, for the people (and not big business).

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Labor is supposed to be the "sensible centre", but even I question some of their decisions (submarines, China, AUKUS, stage 3 tax cuts).
Transition to a greener world is good for the planet, however the cost of doing so will be very expensive & I doubt anyone other than corporations will benefit, financially. I don't think I'm ready to live on a diet of tofu & candlelight
yep exact reason i didnt vote for them as i knew they were going to go down this path, but seems more people just wanted scomo gone yet didnt think of what the other side was going to do, but as albo said after the referendum he is going to ramp up the transition to renewables so buckle up its only just beginning

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Since when has labour been the sensible centre ?
My old man told me in the 60's, give labour the cheque book and they will break the bank.
Nothing has changed.
Labour sucks, always have, and the problem is they employ public servants who have no idea just like them and these public servants tell the pollies what to do and when to do it.
That is how govmint works just like any business, but of course there are so many people with their fingers in the cookie jar (public purse) so they create things to get a bigger cookie jar just like the voice.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I've been saying for a very long time there should be no donations for political parties. Come election time each party and/or member are allocated X amount of dollars to run their campaign funded by the government, that way, no one has a cent more than anybody else and their can be no claims of bias. Campaign on ideas and personality and take the ******* money out of politics as it will soon get rid of those who are only in it for themselves and to get rich lining up jobs after and perks etc.

Government of the people, by the people, for the people (and not big business).

I agree. The powers that be won’t have a bar of that idea. The same idea was raised here a few years back but hardly a peep of it now. No doubt a few political donations in to the party coffers have put that idea to bed. Meanwhile we the masses go about our daily lives content with the fairness of the one-person-one-vote idea. Unfortunately, the issues on which we vote on have been well and truely decided (corrupted) before we get to the polling booth.

Last edited: