Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
But it's blatantly clear that much of Europe has been living well beyond their means for many years.

but that's what "living well beyond their means" is - the govt undercollecting taxes, allowing citizens to retain the revenue as disposable income. the govt then sourced the "missing" revenue by borrowing. it makes no difference whether that's done by not collecting taxes or not having the tax in the first place - the result is the same.

the idea that we can 'get rid' of all these useless taxes is dangerous.

My issue is stuff like the stupid flood levy. Why should the rest of Australia have to pay for the under insurance of the QLD state government??? IMO Qld should pay for it. I could go on about any number of arse rapings and feeble wealth redistribution schemes of our current government.

insurance is like a hippy commune. everyone joins together to look after each other. it works because the cost of helping the odd person out is low, when spread across everyone else. when you're as big as the govt, it doesn't work - there's no bigger pool of people who chip in help when you suffer a loss. that's why govts tend to self insure (to a degree). in the long run, the cost of the govt insuring against major disasters like the floods would probably be more than the payout.

the insurance levy was justified.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
but that's what "living well beyond their means" is - the govt undercollecting taxes, allowing citizens to retain the revenue as disposable income. the govt then sourced the "missing" revenue by borrowing. it makes no difference whether that's done by not collecting taxes or not having the tax in the first place - the result is the same.

the idea that we can 'get rid' of all these useless taxes is dangerous.

You were saying Greece was lax in collecting taxes owed - people did not pay. I am not advocating that in any shape or form.

insurance is like a hippy commune. everyone joins together to look after each other. it works because the cost of helping the odd person out is low, when spread across everyone else. when you're as big as the govt, it doesn't work - there's no bigger pool of people who chip in help when you suffer a loss. that's why govts tend to self insure (to a degree). in the long run, the cost of the govt insuring against major disasters like the floods would probably be more than the payout.

the insurance levy was justified.

In no way shape or form is this justified. Insurance happens when you pay a premium. Victoria and NSW paid said premium for public infrastructure as did thousands of home owners. QLD didn't. I have contributed to that premium (in Victoria) indirectly thru my taxes already collected. Why should I be forced to pay again because of other governments gambling??? Does this mean I should not bother to pay my home insurance premium next time around because the Federal government will pay me out if something bad happens???

Reaper

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Hang on, isn't the main problem in Greece due to early retirement ages, bloated public service, over paid public service and enormous pensions for public servants?

Tax evasion is one of the lowest on the list as opposed to public servant corruption. More proof that big government DOES NOT work.

To say tax evasion is the main cause is farcical.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Hang on, isn't the main problem in Greece due to early retirement ages, bloated public service, over paid public service and enormous pensions for public servants?

Tax evasion is one of the lowest on the list as opposed to public servant corruption. More proof that big government DOES NOT work.

To say tax evasion is the main cause is farcical.

I have no idea why they have such deep problems - have only gone off what jules posted. Either way it's not something that I have been advocating.

Reaper

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
The Greeks are probably just as lazy as the French and expect a highly subsidised lifestyle with minimal work, hence the uproar over reforms and austerity budgets.

Actually, in the EU greece are the "hardest" working. Now whether it is harder I do not know, but they work the most hours per year.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Yeah they do a lot of hours, but its not that intensive. I was there around 5 years ago and yeah, normal starts like us, late finish times and dinner around 10pm, but a lot of breaks in between.

Very laid back, unlike places like Singapore, Japan etc etc.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
it's possible that australian taxes are being wasted and that the greek ones were not, but i think that would be a highly optimistic thing to believe. perhaps you should consider the possibility that the truth is hiding in plain sight - govts do need these taxes (including sometimes the ones you disagree with) to help run the country and help you put food on your table.

I have to ask, how do government taking over 30k a year from me in taxes help put food on my table?

I am really looking forward to the answer on this one...

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
I have to ask, how do government taking over 30k a year from me in taxes help put food on my table?

I am really looking forward to the answer on this one...

I too am interested as to how the goverment puts food on my table.

Last I checked, I buy my food from non-goverment sources.