Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
shhhh dont tell the public

Immigration Minister Scott Morrison refuses to detail recent asylum seeker boat arrival in Question Time - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

how can he believe that by hiding the arrival we wont find out, or that the smugglers hes so worried about wont find out??

Which bit is hidden? From my understanding the government reports on illegal boat arrivals weekly (I think it's weekly anyway). Nothing hidden what so ever. I'd like to know why that is so difficult for you (and many others) to comprehend?

Rufus®

I Jizzed in my pants
Reaction score
Website
www.mediafire.com
Members Ride
VR S1 S Pack, VX S2 Acclaim Wagoon
ok so hiding was the wrong word. but why can he not answer the question? it was an easy question which took longer to answer than a simple yes/no....

Rufus®

I Jizzed in my pants
Reaction score
Website
www.mediafire.com
Members Ride
VR S1 S Pack, VX S2 Acclaim Wagoon
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Rudd snatches it.

yeah, you'd have thought he would have learnt by now..... go just ####ng go...

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
ok so hiding was the wrong word. but why can he not answer the question? it was an easy question which took longer to answer than a simple yes/no....

The government said they would report to the public on the subject of illegal boat arrivals weekly instead of every day one arrived. So what? Different way of presenting information that govco things will help their efforts. I don't see it making any difference either way however the information is declared within a short period of time at most so meh.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
When asked about this new policy relating to boat arrival announcements, Abbott said during an interview yesterday that one reason they are not making announcement every time one appears, is that the public generally is no longer interested in news regarding daily or whatever frequency arrivals. I think that's true. Ask yourself. Do you really want to hear about every single asylum vessel that lands or gets rescued, day after day, as happened during Labor's time in office? I sure don't - I've had a gutful of hearing about the latest boat arrivals. I would much rather hear about the negotiations with Indonesia and their intransigence on this subject.

I don't subscribe to any conspiracy theories regarding this policy (obviously, because I support the conservatives), but if Labor had adopted the same policy, my view would have been the same. There is no need to tell the public every time a boat arrives. It's now very old news and the public overwhelmingly elected the Libs to address the problem. It appears that the flow of these things has slowed down and there has been some co-operation from Indonesia (though not nearly enough). That's a start and any policy had to gain Indonesia's co-operation to enable any measure of success.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Not sure how I feel about this one:
No restrictions on patrol boats gifted to Sri Lanka

I see the point, but I agree with commentary in regards to if the boats will actually be used for what they are intended by that nation given there are no restrictions or controls.

At the same time, if we did have these 2 spare vessels, couldn't we re-purpose them in Australia as dedicated boat interceptors allowing our Coast Guard and Navy vessels to not be used as taxi's?

Thoughts?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The vessels were "obsolete" for their original intended purpose and had outlived their usefulness to the RAN. Their replacements are already in service.

Before we keep increasing the size of our fleet, we have to have the personnel necessary to operate them. You will have noted the current recruitment program for naval personnel that has been running for some time now. The simple fact is that we can barely staff our existing fleet as the navy is short handed and new, larger vessels are on the way that will increase the numbers of personnel required. Keeping those old vessels wouldn't really improve things as their maintenance costs were too high and they probably would have stayed in port due to lack of personnel to man them.

The issue that gets me is the claims we are providing military vessels to Sri Lanka, which has a poor human rights record, and that there is no guarantee Sri Lanka won't use the vessels against Tamils etc, in a military fashion. I would have thought that we would provide the vessels without any armament at all, as it wouldn't be required in the people smuggling role. That way, we can claim the moral high ground by providing useful vessels to a government that can't afford to buy them. If the Sri Lankan government then re-arms the vessels, they would stand condemned.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Good points.

Though based on the article, we did remove the armament which consisted of 7.62-millimetre machine guns.

Though given there are on controls or restrictions, the can go ahead and fit what they like back onto the vessels. That strikes me as an obvious restriction to put on the the use of these vessels. No need for machine guns or the like in stopping illegal fishing boats or rescuing passengers at sea is there?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sooooo - we are spying on Indonesia. Is anybody surprised or worried about that? Does anybody believe for 1 min that Indonesia aren't spying on us (or at least attempting to?). They were caught a few times during the Howard years. What I do find hilarious is Bob Carr and Shorten saying that Abbott should immediately apologise and deist. It was their ####ing government who was in charge when it happened :lmao: