Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
By what happened, I meant the AS telling the Indo police, the Indo media reporting, etc, not what happened on the boat. Sorry if that wasn't clear but I thought it would have been seeing as I said I don't believe the AS story.

The ABC was reporting allegations, as they should, as does every media outlet. Should News Limited not report on allegations of theft by Thompson or should the ABC not report allegations of corruption in the Unions as they have just done until the investigations are done, court cases are over? Just because you don't like the allegations does not make the messenger biased. I didn't take the story by the ABC, as it was presented, as fact and nor should anyone with half a brain take allegations as fact. Every day would be a slow news day if the media were to stop reporting on allegations and only reported what they knew to be unequivocally true.

edit: re bold - The media is supposed to be there for public interest/good, not govco's interests.

I guess in this case, it's not so much the fact that they reported the story - it was the manner in which it was presented. IMO, it seemed to be assertive, as though the lies told by the AS were the truth.

And as for public interest over government interest, I stated "national interest", something which I interpret to be quite different to "government interest". The relationship between the two nations suffered as a consequence of that story. I don't think it is responsible reporting when the "public's right to know" overrules the relationship between neighbouring countries, especially one as prickly and unpredictable as Indonesia.

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
I guess in this case, it's not so much the fact that they reported the story - it was the manner in which it was presented. IMO, it seemed to be assertive, as though the lies told by the AS were the truth.

And as for public interest over government interest, I stated "national interest", something which I interpret to be quite different to "government interest". The relationship between the two nations suffered as a consequence of that story. I don't think it is responsible reporting when the "public's right to know" overrules the relationship between neighbouring countries, especially one as prickly and unpredictable as Indonesia.

Nobody left of centre even bothers posting on here anymore. It's nothing but a huge conservative circlejerk. You and the moderators. It's like you have something to prove, and occasionally you get to shoot down the odd, uneducated bogan which only serves to inflame your sense of righteousness. Keep feeling content in your bubble of ignorance, idiot. #onetermtony.

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Ahhh, stuck your head up for another look around, eh gopher?

Any "embarrassment" this government suffers over boat people pales into insignificance compared to your precious lot. No boats for five weeks so far - can't remember Labor getting anywhere near that result.

Back in your burrow, mate......

if they stop telling us about them then the problem is solved
oh you poor gullible fool

Last edited:

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
Gopher, just save your sanity and don't post in this joke of a thread any more. I stopped 5 years ago. Like I said, they're all just conservative fruitloops that enjoy each others company. Some of the moderators are not even above harassing you when you make it obvious you don't share their flawed belief system. Let them feel content patting each other on the back, It's like they loiter on a commodore forum of all places because they like easy debates when it comes to arguing political viewpoints.

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01

Not all roses in the party room I'd imagine.
Abbott, Turnbull clash over ABC
Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull has strongly defended the ABC's editorial independence in the face of Prime Minister Tony Abbott's attack on the national broadcaster, which he says ''instinctively takes everyone's side but Australia's''.

Mr Turnbull defended the Prime Minister's right to critique the ABC but, in comments that could be interpreted as resistance to Mr Abbott, he said the ABC was rightly accountable to its board of directors, not politicians.

''What's the alternative … the editor-in-chief [of the ABC] becomes the prime minister?'' he said. ''Politicians, whether prime ministers or communications ministers, will often be unhappy with the ABC … but you can't tell them what to write.''
Former ABC managing director David Hill savaged Mr Abbott's comments against the ABC's perceived lack of patriotism. ''It's an absurd proposition, laughable if it wasn't so dangerous,'' he said.

''This is the first serious suggestion I know of, certainly in the last half a century, where a prime minister of the country is suggesting the Australian public be denied access to the truth, and the first time that a prime minister has seriously intimated that the ABC should censor and withhold information from the Australian public.''

Who knows, reason may prevail...

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Gopher, just save your sanity and don't post in this joke of a thread any more. I stopped 5 years ago. Like I said, they're all just conservative fruitloops that enjoy each others company. Some of the moderators are not even above harassing you when you make it obvious you don't share their flawed belief system. Let them feel content patting each other on the back, It's like they loiter on a commodore forum of all places because they like easy debates when it comes to arguing political viewpoints.

My sanity is intact

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Nobody left of centre even bothers posting on here anymore. It's nothing but a huge conservative circlejerk. You and the moderators. It's like you have something to prove, and occasionally you get to shoot down the odd, uneducated bogan which only serves to inflame your sense of righteousness. Keep feeling content in your bubble of ignorance, idiot. #onetermtony.

Lololol - most of the debate is often quite civilized on this thread (from both sides). Of course it takes posts like yours to prove the rule ;).

Ok.... I'll bite...

1. Different points of view to ones own doesn't constitute a flawed belief system
2. So far, all I've seen from you is 2 posts contributing nothing beyond taking pot shots at people who you don't agree with.

If you have something intelligent to contribute on topic then go for it otherwise GTFO!

Lol - Is that your evidence?? Are you saying that Abbott is not entitled to express his opinion on the organization? In this case I think both Abbott and Turnbull both have a point. You seem to have missed this quote from Turnbull (I think):

The minister said, in his view, criticism of the story was justified and unfounded allegations had been given too much weight. ''I thought the allegations were beyond implausible, I thought they bordered on inconceivable,'' he said.

As for Hill.... If he extrapolates that from Abbott's comments then perhaps it's fortunate he is no longer running the place.

Last edited:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2

Not quite true. There are quite intelligent leftists who post frequently and while our views differ, their points are valid and they are certainly entitled to those views. It's true that conservatives seem to rule on this thread, but why is that? Why are there so few leftists prepared to contribute? They may well be outnumbered, but that might just reflect the results of the last election, mightn't it? After all, the leftist party was decimated - where were you all in their hour of need?

And one other thing about the other leftists - they don't see the need to add insults to their comments. You stuck your head in for the first time in yonks and all you could really contribute was an insult. Very clever.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2

Who knows, reason may prevail...

I've stated previously that I regretted Turnbull's overthrow. To me, he is the more plausible national leader. I know that other conservatives here disagree, but I would have liked him to be at the helm right now.