Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I’m far from an EV advocate but so much of this is pointless.
Complaining about the charge time vs fueling with petrol, a mate has a Tesla and hardly ever uses public charges as it’s charging over night at home. Can’t fuel my car up from home.

People who live in apartment buildings or only have outdoor or street parking can't charge at home.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
People who live in apartment buildings or only have outdoor or street parking can't charge at home.
Of course it doesn’t cover everyone. A bit over 80% of homes in Australia are detached properties, call it 60-70% if you exclude those with only on street parking.
It’s a bit disingenuous to go on a massive rant about something that won’t cause issue for majority of owners.
As for on street parking seen a handful of interesting charging setups in inner Melbourne lol.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I’m far from an EV advocate but so much of this is pointless.
Complaining about the charge time vs fueling with petrol, a mate has a Tesla and hardly ever uses public charges as it’s charging over night at home. Can’t fuel my car up from home.

Also let’s not forget that a lard arse SUV/Ute is nearly the worst thing that you could make as an EV. They need huge batteries to lug around a huge brick through the air, which results in very long charging times.

The most common sense vehicles to be making as EVs are small hatchbacks like a Toyota Corolla or Mazda 3, etc. But the carmakers can’t charge a huge premium for that so they are (mostly) sticking with large SUVs they can justify a large sticker price on.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride

Yes, and those people shouldn’t be buying EVs. The muppets in power want to do away with all ICE vehicles but it’s just not going to work unless hydrogen fuel cell vehicles actually become a thing.

Anyone who doesn’t have charging at home overnight is screwed. It’s also going to mean a shitload of grid storage needs to be built as most of our electricity will be generated during the day with renewables but most is the energy consumption will be at night, charging EVs.

The most logical way around this would be to make it compulsory for employers to provide electric car charging at work so cars are actually being charged when the power from renewables is being generated.

How likely is it for that to happen, buckleys and none, because governments are never ahead of the curve and also refuse to regulate business wherever possible. The business union would scream blue murder if it was proposed and that would be the end of it.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
As for on street parking seen a handful of interesting charging setups in inner Melbourne lol.

People here have been getting in the shite for running extension cords out to the street to charge their cars. Realistically though if they are serious about going 100% EV then basically every single on street car parking space will have to have an EV charger at it, at least in the inner city areas anyway.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Yes, and those people shouldn’t be buying EVs. The muppets in power want to do away with all ICE vehicles but it’s just not going to work unless hydrogen fuel cell vehicles actually become a thing.

Anyone who doesn’t have charging at home overnight is screwed. It’s also going to mean a shitload of grid storage needs to be built as most of our electricity will be generated during the day with renewables but most is the energy consumption will be at night, charging EVs.

The most logical way around this would be to make it compulsory for employers to provide electric car charging at work so cars are actually being charged when the power from renewables is being generated.

How likely is it for that to happen, buckleys and none, because governments are never ahead of the curve and also refuse to regulate business wherever possible. The business union would scream blue murder if it was proposed and that would be the end of it.

I'd guesstimate that a very low % of people actually park at work.

If they can park near work, it will again be street parking (have a look around any commercial or industrial area on a work day) or in multi level car parks in a CBD.

Then there are the packed train station carparks.

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
doesn't mean electric vehicles won't eventually dominate the market. People my age (50+) don't like them because we grew up with petrol, but most generational children born after 1990 are indifferent. i love the idea of being able to plug my car in for a recharge instead of paying $100/wk in fuel. Think about it? Over a 10 year period, which is the average ownership lifecycle of a car, that's $52,000 on top of what you already paid for it. Compare this to the cost of charging an EV
EV charging price .png

source: https://www.drive.com.au/caradvice/how-much-does-it-cost-to-charge-an-electric-car-in-australia/

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
doesn't mean electric vehicles won't eventually dominate the market. People my age (50+) don't like them because we grew up with petrol, but most generational children born after 1990 are indifferent. i love the idea of being able to plug my car in for a recharge instead of paying $100/wk in fuel. Think about it? Over a 10 year period, which is the average ownership lifecycle of a car, that's $52,000 on top of what you already paid for it. Compare this to the cost of charging an EV View attachment 265826
source: https://www.drive.com.au/caradvice/how-much-does-it-cost-to-charge-an-electric-car-in-australia/

See this is where this is very misleading. That chart is per charge. So times that by 7 days for your week and your matching petrol for the week.

Statedaily costweek cost
ACT18.20127.4
NSW18.74131.18
QLD15.49108.43
SA24.11168.77
VIC14.67102.69

i get that you wont charge the full 60kwhs each day, but you will charge it each night because who knows what tomorrow brings. But getting it close to apples with apples