Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
That’s a fair point.

I do think that there could be more emphasis on ‘competency based assessment‘ of trades. Rather than having to do a full (however many years) apprenticeship regardless of if you have mastered that skill or not. It’d certainly open up the pathways for people changing careers, and older workers looking for a new trade.

For example, I’m a qualified electrical engineer so I do have a fair bit of electrical knowledge. I enquired about obtaining an electrical licence many years ago, and what training I’d have to do. It was quite a convoluted conversation and explanation, but as a full qualified electrical engineer I would start (and have to do) the same training as a 15-year-old straight out of high school. And we wonder why there is a lack of tradespeople.
As someone in the construction industry you can stick RPL’s up your rear lol.
They cause so many issues as they currently stand.
Someone does a full 4 year apprenticeship including trade school, or you have someone who works as a labourer for 6 months and spends 1 month doing his RPL and now they’re both equally qualified.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Good to see that Professor Gigglesworth is on top of the important matters in Queensland.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/aust...1&cvid=5a73c7aa9fd34bccab1cdb1fd69d6d0e&ei=19

Rescue magpie Molly and Peggy the Staffy having a laugh. (Supplied: Juliette Wells)
Mr Miles was asked if he would have the same level of advocacy if a person was raising a bilby or a koala in their home without the required permits.

"Probably not, but I think there's a clear difference there," he said.

Sums up the stupidity right there. How is it any different?

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Good to see that Professor Gigglesworth is on top of the important matters in Queensland.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/aust...1&cvid=5a73c7aa9fd34bccab1cdb1fd69d6d0e&ei=19

Rescue magpie Molly and Peggy the Staffy having a laugh. (Supplied: Juliette Wells)
We have been following the magpie and the two staffies on facebook for quite a while. It is amazing how the two dogs have made a friendship with the bird and vice versa. The bird sings and barks like a dog. They sleep together. It would have not been an issue with our dog because she would have killed it.

The bird was rescued as a chick and hand reared. It could not go back into the wild because it would not survive. My question is what are they going to do with the bird? Common sense would say that it should be returned to the family. The problem seems to be a lack of common sense by the department

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
It's still a supply/demand issue.

Also not just immigration, but the increasing amount of people living single.

Take away the 500k (net) who entered the country in the previous 12 months along with the 150k who entered in the December Qtr and the supply issue disappears.

It ain't rocket surgery.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Bureaucrats and common sense will never go together.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
That’s a fair point.

I do think that there could be more emphasis on ‘competency based assessment‘ of trades. Rather than having to do a full (however many years) apprenticeship regardless of if you have mastered that skill or not. It’d certainly open up the pathways for people changing careers, and older workers looking for a new trade.

For example, I’m a qualified electrical engineer so I do have a fair bit of electrical knowledge. I enquired about obtaining an electrical licence many years ago, and what training I’d have to do. It was quite a convoluted conversation and explanation, but as a full qualified electrical engineer I would start (and have to do) the same training as a 15-year-old straight out of high school. And we wonder why there is a lack of tradespeople.

No, you can do a course based of your skills.
It's something along the lines of prior training recognition.

Edit Airstrike beat me to it.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I do, and I’m spectualating that there could be more, or more of the teaching and learning done in a classroom setting with trained trainers (which can - and should - include practical hands-on training too).
Mechanical apprentices these days do some class room stuff, head to the workplace for practical, then back to the class room and back to the workplacement a few times during their apprenticeship.....

Are you suggesting more classroom practical with this apprenticeship and less workplace placement?

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Mechanical apprentices these days do some class room stuff, head to the workplace for practical, then back to the class room and back to the workplacement a few times during their apprenticeship.....

Are you suggesting more classroom practical with this apprenticeship and less workplace placement?

Yes, as an option.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
No, you can do a course based of your skills.
It's something along the lines of prior training recognition.

Edit Airstrike beat me to it.

I guess the depends on the training centre/industry and what stuff they will accept from other courses.

In that regard the NCEA system NZ now has is pretty good, it allows you to cross-credit skills from one course to another and not have to re-do the work.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The tech system was proven very successful, till it was decimated with howards vandalism and stripped of funding (because the private sector can do things cheaper :rolleyes:). We are now paying the price with high prices for work done and low numbers of tradesmen. That is one of the things playing into expensive and mostly unattainable housing. Keeping wages low for nearly a generation has also impacted house affordability. Was it a planned outcome from corrupt and greedy conservatives or just pure stupidity?

Me being a tyre fitter, I did a single day in a class room learning the very basics and the rest on the job, with someone looking over my shoulder seeing I was doing my job as they requested...The same principal applies these days with people I tech and the wages are identical

Aligning....I could have gone to school and got a piece of paper to say I can do it and get a few bucks an hour more on the spot, but I chose the path of learning on the job and waiting 6 months to get the same money as the smuck that stuck his head in books...

So I chose the stupid path, but proved successful for my purposes and didn't stop me buying a property recently, despite earning under that $28 per hour figure that is absolute pathetic money according to many here