Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Keeping Engine Warm??

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
theres 2 tps sensors one uses the spring and adaptor one doesnt one needs preloaded 90 od degees one does not .fitting it wrong so its not preloaded will cause issues with not coming back to idle

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
from what I have found the tps re learns it's start spot every ignition on so if it moves durin running it will change but if it's moved before starting it dosn't make a difference
Hmm.....Interesting.
That would make sense, because when the idle does rise and I shut the engine off
and restart it again, the idle does return to normal.

But the next time it could be ok for a while and then out of the blue the idle rises again.
This could be due to the TPS moving around due to the movement of the butterflies.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
theres 2 tps sensors one uses the spring and adaptor one doesnt one needs preloaded 90 od degees one does not .fitting it wrong so its not preloaded will cause issues with not coming back to idle
Thanks del.
The one that's on it only has a full range of 90 degrees.
So by my reckoning, it's not pre loaded.
But does it need the spring and adapter? Hmm.
When the T/B was made, may be it was made so as the spring and adapter were not utilised.

By the way....What does the spring and adapter sleeve do anyway????

Last edited:

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
there is an earlie one and late one not sure which way they are but one has grey side cover and other is all black, they have different start points so if the wrong one is used I think it will bottom out and might stop before full throttle

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
You are correct.
If the grey one is used on my set up, there is a big flat spot from idle (I tried it).
That one, had to be pre loaded to fit as the start position was different to the other one (all Black),
but it didn't bottom out at WOT as far (as I can remember).

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The spring load I'm talking about is internal in the TPS.

Can you put up a pic of your TB?

Early TB's (VN/VP) didn't have the plastic sleeve because the butterfly shaft was a lot thicker. Later model TB's had thinner butterfly shafts because they fitted proper needle roller bearings for the shaft and this required the use of the plastic sleeve to make it fit the TPS properly. As far as I'm aware all late model TB's with the thin shaft require the use of the plastic sleeve as the bore size inside the TPS where the shaft sits hasn't changed.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
I'll put up a picture of the throttle body soon.

In the mean time, the spring I was talking about is this one (circled).
What's its purpose?

I don't think I need the adapter sleeve, as he's made the shaft, where it connects to the TPS a good fit.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I believe that spring and washers are only there to seal the end of the shaft to prevent foreign objects i.e. dirt entering and getting into the bearing or jamming the shaft. I'm not to fused about it to be honest but Holden must have believed it was possible issue.

Without seeing the TB it's hard to say. Would really need to get the measurements of the shaft and the flat on it and compare to a standard TB.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Here are some pictures.
I don't have a Factory T/B to compare it with unfortunately.
The first picture has the measurements of the connection to the TPS.

And this one for good measure.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
I just noticed in the second picture, there's a big gap underneath, where the TPS sits.
That gap, is going to let in all sorts of crap.

As a matter of fact, if you look at the bottom of the TPS recess on the T/B, you CAN see grit and stuff.
That could be interfering with the bearing and not closing the butterflies properly.

Carby cleaner.....here I come.