Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L67 VS III Statesman extractors

WillyTheMLGPro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman 50th Anniversary
The VS S3 models are a bit of an oddity as they got the never VT style transmissions that have the 2 piece case and full circle bellhousing that changes stuff just enough to not make **** fit properly.

My Mate recons the Pacemaker VS ecotec headers did fit but needed a little clearance work.
how do the vs pacemaker compare to stock ones?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
You won’t get them to fit. Variatronic headers are rare. Variatronic plus full bellhousing are pretty well non existent.

Option one: stick with cast manifolds and fit catback only (you’ll already have twin cats - not a restriction).

Option 2: fit extractors to suit vs3 but revert back to standard steering rack.

You won’t notice much, if any difference fitting headers. Those cast manifolds still flow pretty well for what they are. Better off fitting a 10psi pulley for a little performance increase.

WillyTheMLGPro

Reaction score
Members Ride
You won’t get them to fit. Variatronic headers are rare. Variatronic plus full bellhousing are pretty well non existent.

Option one: stick with cast manifolds and fit catback only (you’ll already have twin cats - not a restriction).

Option 2: fit extractors to suit vs3 but revert back to standard steering rack.

You won’t notice much, if any difference fitting headers. Those cast manifolds still flow pretty well for what they are. Better off fitting a 10psi pulley for a little performance increase.
I'm more after sound than performance.
I already have a custom 2.5 inch catback with a y pipe to a single center muffler to a rear resonator.
How would it be if I just swapped out the cats to a couple 200 cell high flow cats?

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
I use the standard VS Pacemakers on my L67 in a VS Calais with variatronic steering.

Also has a full bellhousing - T56 and adapter plate - and it all fits with some clearancing of the bellhousing. Have also had a T5 and a VT auto in a similar setup, they both required clearancing of the bellhousings.

It's tight, but as everyone has mentioned, its about the best you will get for an easy, off the shelf set.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I use the standard VS Pacemakers on my L67 in a VS Calais with variatronic steering.

Also has a full bellhousing - T56 and adapter plate - and it all fits with some clearancing of the bellhousing. Have also had a T5 and a VT auto in a similar setup, they both required clearancing of the bellhousings.

It's tight, but as everyone has mentioned, its about the best you will get for an easy, off the shelf set.
You able to upload some pics for the thread owner?

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Have a search on here.
There is a few threads with pics that help.
Along with NAAF chiming in with a few requirements.

Last pics I saw had a bit of a notch out the bellhousing and mention of having to "dent" the header in 1 spot for clearance.

That's if other don't upload pics.

Reactions: Lex

WillyTheMLGPro

Reaction score
Members Ride
Decided that I'll do Custom Extractors later in the future.
For now just going to do some 100 cell High flow cats to compliment the custom 2.5 inch catback I have.

WillyTheMLGPro

Reaction score
Members Ride
Okay so I need a bit of help.
Since I'm going down the route of Custom Extractors, I need help with choosing specs. Still amateur when it comes to this.
A few things I've already decided on are that I'll probably go with Mild Steel for the material with a 2 1/2 inch exit.
I'm undecided on the primary pipe size.
Ones that I've seen are 1 3/4, 1 5/8 and 1 7/8.
The engine has a Mace cold air intake and will be getting a 10 psi pulley in the future but no other modifications than that.
I'm more interested in getting a nice note from the engine at a medium high volume rather than going for max performance and having it extremely loud.