Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Leaking somewhere

Paulymac

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline 17
Hi guys decided to vacuum the Ute in the weekend and when I lifted up the drivers side car mat I noticed it was wet and the 2 metal lugs on the back of the mat were rusted , there is also a rust stains on the carpet from the car mat and the carpet felt very wet as well, it’s obvious it’s been wet for a wile now and we have had a lot of rain over the past 12 months , does anyone have any ideas what could be leaking?
cheers

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Check the drain holes in the drivers door.

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
V8 utes have the high mount brake light. Mine had a leak where there is a grommet for the wires to go through up near the brake light.

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
Use the air- con much ?

Has the windscreen been replaced prior to you buying the car or have you had the windscreen replaced ?

Any aftermarket accessories fitted like, spotties, aerials, etc. and wiring run from the enginebay into the cabin through any firewall grommets ?

Could start there.

Paulymac

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline 17
No I haven’t had a new windscreen and hardly ever use the A/C , and no after market add ons , heard if it is A/C it would be on the passenger side anyway,,,,but over the last couple years I have noticed a wet smell every now and then which I brought it up with Holden and they said it’s most likely the A/C is causing that smell and it’s nothing to worry about:rolleyes:

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
You'll be needing to strip out the console, seats and carpets, dry everything out, then have someone hose the car to simulate rain for maybe 10 minutes or so whilst you sit in the cabin with a torch and see if you can spot where the leak is originating from.

If you had a VE I would have suggested looking to see if the panel under the brake booster was rusted.

Reactions: Lex

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
if it is the the obvious/known locations like the ac drain, hvac join through the firewall and others then you might need to pop the seats, console, carpet out and do a visual inspection looing for water marks/trails to narrow down the location of the leak.

i had a ve ssv that had a leak and i had to do it lol i pulled half the vehicle apart to find it was leaking through a grommet that the side indicator wire went through behind the front left fender.
it is a pain in the ass because it was wet in the rear not the front.

Paulymac

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline 17
Holden are doing a water test on it next week , not sure if it comes under any warranty but when I asked Holden if it did i never got a definite yes

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
If you told them of a musty smell while the vehicle was under warranty, then this is just a continuation of that same issue which they didn’t resolve. Thus it’s covered under warranty ;)

Hopefully the dealer wrote down your musty smell concerns in a service report as they sometimes don’t do so. If they did, you may need to remind them you’ve raised the issue previously and show them the service report. It should them be ok :cool:

That’s why I put more faith in service reports rather than a stamp in a service book when buying second hand cars... sadly most owners don’t keep them but in some cases I’ve gotten reprints from the servicing dealer...