Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Learner Drivers

Robbo_c

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais II,2007 Calais V
I hate to bring a racial element into this, but, i'd like to see what would have happened if the lady driving were white. Sorry to say it, but the way i see it, is they are only letting her keep her license because she is Sudanese and obviously not of white descent. There has been alot of controversy surrounding the Sudanese / African community in the last year, i kind of see this as a way of keeping tensions down between the white people of Australia and the Sudanese / African community of Australia.

Almost like a peace offering, otherwise "they" would be at risk of being labelled "racist" towards her because they feel victimised in Australia.

Yeah i agree i was drivng around the other day and i saw a sudanese L plater with the L plate upside down now if they cant even get that right how are they going to be able to drive.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Pretty crap that she wasn't charged, how come it always seems to be sudanese or immigrants that stack on their learners. Im on my learners and i've never been involved in an accident i dont know how you would hit the accelerator instead of the brake anyway.

Im guessing the vehicle involved was an automatic. In general(what has happened in this accident Im not to sure of)Brake/accelerator mistakes are all so prevalent, youll never stop people making mistakes.........its a design problem!

My solution....brake pedal should be only reachable by the left foot on autos.

And_ROOS

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV +6
Yeah i agree i was drivng around the other day and i saw a sudanese L plater with the L plate upside down now if they cant even get that right how are they going to be able to drive.

Sadly i agree, most Sudanese seem to come over here, do enough to get their licenses then totally disregard all the laws on the road.

Stretcher Bearer

A.R.N.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SOCOG Exec 9C1
It is an open argument that whenever an Eastern African behaves in an unsocial way including behaving like a gangsta or some other violent action or drving behaviour that they had full knowledge of that their past and all that they witnessed is the cause.

So it says "don't take responsibility-->blame someone else"

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
I hate to bring a racial element into this, but, i'd like to see what would have happened if the lady driving were white. Sorry to say it, but the way i see it, is they are only letting her keep her license because she is Sudanese and obviously not of white descent. There has been alot of controversy surrounding the Sudanese / African community in the last year, i kind of see this as a way of keeping tensions down between the white people of Australia and the Sudanese / African community of Australia.

Almost like a peace offering, otherwise "they" would be at risk of being labelled "racist" towards her because they feel victimised in Australia.

I'd be more inclined to think it's the fact that Sudan is a violent, dysfunctional, war-torn country - and the fact that most of it's refugees are black is incidental. It's not like white people have never gotten of charges on a mental health excuse is it now?

Sadly i agree, most Sudanese seem to come over here, do enough to get their licenses then totally disregard all the laws on the road.

Most Sudanese? You're gonna back that up with some numbers right? You only hear about the bad ones, just like you only read in the papers about the bad P-platers. It doesn't reflect the majority. In fact, this woman didn't disregard the law, in fact she was driving very carefully prior to the accident, then everything went pear shaped, and she panicked.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
she panicked.

Sorry but when myself or anyone else panics on the road the last thing we have been known to do is to mount a kurb and jam on the accelerator for long enough to go from 10 km/h to 60km/h . I suppose the driver instructor panicked also and forgot he had his controls he could use?

They have used a past to allow this insane road idiot to keep a licence and to continue driving. Would the victims family be charged with murder if one shot her after what they witnessed? You know psychological issues and all.

Ship the bitch back to sudan where she can mount the curbs all she wants. Am I an arsehole? Yes, I am sick to death of these minorities claiming mental issues because of the country they come from. In fact I am sick to death of every person claiming it. They slaughtered an innocent person in a horrifying act. They deserve to be in jail.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
It is an open argument that whenever an Eastern African behaves in an unsocial way including behaving like a gangsta or some other violent action or drving behaviour that they had full knowledge of that their past and all that they witnessed is the cause.

So it says "don't take responsibility-->blame someone else"

Well said mate.

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Sorry but when myself or anyone else panics on the road the last thing we have been known to do is to mount a kurb and jam on the accelerator for long enough to go from 10 km/h to 60km/h . I suppose the driver instructor panicked also and forgot he had his controls he could use?

They have used a past to allow this insane road idiot to keep a licence and to continue driving. Would the victims family be charged with murder if one shot her after what they witnessed? You know psychological issues and all.

Ship the bitch back to sudan where she can mount the curbs all she wants. Am I an arsehole? Yes, I am sick to death of these minorities claiming mental issues because of the country they come from. In fact I am sick to death of every person claiming it. They slaughtered an innocent person in a horrifying act. They deserve to be in jail.

Well said man, i wasn't going to reply to anyone against my post, due to the fact all of us know how these arguements go..... Around and around in circles, turning into namecalling and insult throwing, then the thread gets locked.

But well said Craig :thumbsup:

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR

From what I've heard, she was taking a corner too sharply, the instructor tried to correct it by turning the wheel, at which point the driver froze up and was holding the wheel "in a vice like grip" (quoting the judge) in the same position (preventing the instructor from correcting it) and at the same time she fully depressed the accelerator. This isn't inconcievable is it?

Sure most of us probably wouldn't do that, but I've been rear-ended by a guy who did exactly that - I was stopped at a red light, guy came out a corner and was pulling up behind me and pressed the accelerator instead of the brake, and bang! It does happen.

As for the instructor, he's a garbage truck driver and friend of the driver, not a professional instructor so the car wouldn't have had dual controls. His options included the gear selector and handbrake. If he had put it in neutral and applied the brake maybe it could have been averted, but honestly in the short few seconds he would have had to make and enact that decision (remember he's probably panicking too) you can't say definately that you'd fare much better in his shoes.

Read my earlier post, I agree, I don't think she should be driving. My point is 1) it's a tragic accident, clearly the woman does have problems and they quite likely contributed to the events which unfolded; and 2) you can't just pick isolated media reports of a particular demographic and claim that represents the whole/majority of that demographic unless you have evidence to back it up. That's just common sense.

That's all I'm saying. She shouldn't be on the road, I never said she should be, and no I don't think you should avoid all the penalties because you have a mental condition either. Please don't take my words out of context.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
From what I've heard, she was taking a corner too sharply, the instructor tried to correct it by turning the wheel, at which point the driver froze up and was holding the wheel "in a vice like grip" (quoting the judge) in the same position (preventing the instructor from correcting it) and at the same time she fully depressed the accelerator. This isn't inconcievable is it?

Sure most of us probably wouldn't do that, but I've been rear-ended by a guy who did exactly that - I was stopped at a red light, guy came out a corner and was pulling up behind me and pressed the accelerator instead of the brake, and bang! It does happen.

So perhaps it is time that people that instruct learns must do a safety course for these very situations?

They had this accident on Crash Investigators, was interesting to say the least. Regardless, I am still unsure as to how people confuse the pedals, I have been teaching my younger cousins to drive at the farm, not once they have mistaken the pedals and they are NINE YEARS OLD. If people have accidents due to this happening they should not be allowed to drive. If they cannot use dexterity in one foot for 2 pedals they cannot safely occupy the road.

This is where driving courses come into their own. In the one major car accident I had on my own(after a rear tyre blew in the rain) I was able to downshift anchor on the handbrake slow a spin and reduce impact speed from 100 -70. Clearly ANYONE should not be allowed to teach people to drive and this point goes back to what I said first, train drivers to train new drivers. Maybe this would also go a long way to reducing young deaths on the road?