Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lets talk VS brake upgrades

DG355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute 355 + VF Clubby W375 + ZB RSV
This is the master cylinder I purchased-https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/335267940458

I tried uploading a photo of my car with the new wheels but sayng it's too large.
I bought them from Castlemaine. You can do a search on their site for the kits.
That should say new brakes not wheels...I ended up getting new wheels too because I had in my head sentor rims were 18" which is the minimum for the Willwoods....

DG355

Reaction score
Members Ride
I will say, from experience, I drove a VR with VT brakes using the VR/S master and it worked fine for me.
The pedal dropped down and was a little squishy, nothing you don't get used to.

I would recommend getting a master cylinder upgrade, or using calipers better matched to the VR/S master.

But I did drive with the mismatched VT calipers and VR/S master.

I will say, from experience, I drove a VR with VT brakes using the VR/S master and it worked fine for me.
The pedal dropped down and was a little squishy, nothing you don't get used to.

I would recommend getting a master cylinder upgrade, or using calipers better matched to the VR/S master.

But I did drive with the mismatched VT calipers and VR/S master.
My vs master was very soft even with the vs brakes. I have a decent cam in it so probably lack of vacuum.
In most situations it was fine. I drove it with the VS master for 5 yrs after the engine got a few upgrades.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
After driving anything post VT driving anything pre VT is just scary when it comes to stopping.

My VS Senator scares me every time I hit the brake pedal, average at best as this one never got the optional big brake upgrade from HSV.

One thing people tend to overlook however is the engine/tune. If the engine is running poorly and not creating good vacuum then the brakes will be **** as they rely on good vacuum to work the brake booster. I upgraded our old VS with a VX booster/MC and sometimes it had a great pedal and other times not. With that car I actually got into the habit of tapping the brake pedal before an actual stop to ensure I had a solid pedal.

Draimond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
I've actually been thinking of adding a dedicated vacuum pump to my VS. Seen them do it on the skid factory not that long ago.

Would love to see some pics when you can. There are apps you can get to decrease photo size. Also online tools you can use. Some phones will let you turn the settings right down on your camera to take smaller pics too.

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
I took a VS plastic booster in to have the reaction pad glued back on and they overhauled the lot.
Cost about $300.
I'd like to sell it but I'm scared I'll end up in the 'what do they want to sell for ridiculous money' thread.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I took a VS plastic booster in to have the reaction pad glued back on and they overhauled the lot.
Cost about $300.
I'd like to sell it but I'm scared I'll end up in the 'what do they want to sell for ridiculous money' thread.

If you have the receipt as proof & it never went back on car hold out for $300 take $280 or whatever closest.

If no receipt & been back on car $200....sold a couple $100 to $200 range to get my money back when had to take trailer load of parts away despite only wanting just one particular part.

DG355

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've actually been thinking of adding a dedicated vacuum pump to my VS. Seen them do it on the skid factory not that long ago.

Would love to see some pics when you can. There are apps you can get to decrease photo size. Also online tools you can use. Some phones will let you turn the settings right down on your camera to take smaller pics too.
Here are some photos. Car looked a bit sedate with the senator rims. No so much now. I’ll have to update my profile photo.
I might go back to senator rims. A guy does 18s-20s but wants money up front and a couple of month wait. No shop front made me wary.

Attachments

• IMG_6520-compressed.jpeg
    IMG_6520-compressed.jpeg
    198.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_6519-compressed.jpeg
    IMG_6519-compressed.jpeg
    252.3 KB · Views: 48

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Decent looking set up.
Spewing they don't fit a 17 as would definitely consider them behind the HBD W series.

After driving anything post VT driving anything pre VT is just scary when it comes to stopping.

My VS Senator scares me every time I hit the brake pedal, average at best as this one never got the optional big brake upgrade from HSV.
See I find the VS (basic Ute) to do alright by simply having better Pads and Rotors. Had T3s now have T2s and they do alright.
Find them good compared to the standard style on the VZ SS, although that may change when we up to T2s or T3s on that front.
Although, after really stomping on some AP Racing 6pot fronts and 4pot rears, yeah, not much matches up to that

Reactions: Lex

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Here are some photos. Car looked a bit sedate with the senator rims. No so much now. I’ll have to update my profile photo.
I might go back to senator rims. A guy does 18s-20s but wants money up front and a couple of month wait. No shop front made me wary.

**** that is a nice looking ute, Mine will never look that good, it's too far gone, was even after the respray, little bits and pieces were done wrong before I bought it. Now it needs another respray.

DG355

Reaction score
Members Ride
**** that is a nice looking ute, Mine will never look that good, it's too far gone, was even after the respray, little bits and pieces were done wrong before I bought it. Now it needs another respray.
Thanks. I could’ve bought a Maloo for the same price when I bought it. Regretted not doing so when the prices shot up but no regrets now. Taken around 6 years to get it where is now and very happy with it. When I bought it was meant to be run around and one thing led to another.

Reactions: Lex