Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Licence and speeding query

Pickle'

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Have u paid it already? Doesn't the penalty kick in only after u've paid it? Pay it after u have ur full's in aug, only thing is Ur fine will be bigger with late fees

Doesn't work that easy... when you go for your opens they ask if you have any outstanding fines etc. and you can't attempt the test if anything is still outstanding.

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Ok I have ZERO idea about your rules down south, I only know what happened to me up here in QLD. I thought I was right to drive, but turns out I was a little over the limit. So off to court and copped a low level DD charge. Had my licence cancelled for 1 month. Then even though I'd had my opens for nearly 20 years I was back onto P's for a year (didn't need them that long first time I don't think). Not sure what that really meant for me as I'm over 25 and most restrictions no longer count as far as I could tell, just the reduced points I could lose. So I wouldn't be surprised if you have to start over again on your P's, not just the 3 months you would have left.
And unfortunately I believe that it won't work about the end of your 12 month thing either. While the penalty may not start until you pay, the offence still happened and is enacted upon as to your conditions at the time of the offence. (hope that makes sense).
Sorry, I know how much it sucks.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Doesn't work that easy... when you go for your opens they ask if you have any outstanding fines etc. and you can't attempt the test if anything is still outstanding.

we dont have a test to go onto the full licence down here =P
as i was told when i got the p's the day that it ends is the last day on the p's.
after which you can pull them down and not show them again.

also this is form the vicroads site:
Any suspension, drink driving offence without licence cancellation or suspension, or drug driving offence, will result in an extension of the P1 or P2 period
so by the looks it will be an extention of p's when you get the licence back.
however i have no idea about if you wait it out. which is what you are no asking
im sure there is a loophole but i wonder if they have closed it or not.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Points are deducted when u pay the fine, they don't back date the points. If u disput it and it goes to court, the result is then applied what ever the outcome.

At worst u can call vicroads anonymously and enquire how points work with fines.

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
QLD and VIC are different i know but when lost my licens for 6 months it aded 6 months to my P's (im on opens now, been on em for over a year) plus i had a 1 year late night driving restriction which i had to get a excemption/certificute as i work nights and not once did the cops ask me for it and i got pulled up a fair few times lol.

also pretty sure here if you lose your point when your on the 1 year good behaviour 1 pint thing besides the 3 month suspension you get disqualified for 6 months? i think

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
Long story short ,
Got a few speeding fines/No p plates fines in the past which has resulted me being on the 1 point for 12 months option .

Im on my p's and get my full license at the start of Aug this year .

However I got caught speeding (108 in a 100 zone, yes im a ######## )and that has put me over the 1 point for 12 months bond , Now ive got to go 6 months with no license.
But my question is , when those 6 months are over will I be straight onto my full license or will that push my P plates futher back another 3 months etc ?

Im in Vic btw

regarding the P's period extension it only applies to drivers that had been through the P1 and P2 period and the extension is 6 months PLUS the length of your suspension.

im currently off the road for 3 months so my P's period is extended by 9 months (6 months from vicroads + 3 month suspension) AFTER i get my licence back. in effect, this means that its actually adding 1 year in actual time to when i would be getting off my P plates beforehand.

so you will have your P's period extended by 12 months AFTER you get your licence back after the 6 months suspension.

it sucks i know.

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
Pretty sure there's a 6 mth extension on your P's. Could be wrong though. Ring VicRoads on Monday morning and spend 3.5hrs on hold only to be told " ummm, I don't know. I'll have to transfer you."

3.5hrs on hold? **** man u got more patience than me

I8.A4.RE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY LS1 - LANCER MY10 - VE UTE
Ok I have ZERO idea about your rules down south, I only know what happened to me up here in QLD. I thought I was right to drive, but turns out I was a little over the limit. So off to court and copped a low level DD charge. Had my licence cancelled for 1 month. Then even though I'd had my opens for nearly 20 years I was back onto P's for a year (didn't need them that long first time I don't think). Not sure what that really meant for me as I'm over 25 and most restrictions no longer count as far as I could tell, just the reduced points I could lose. So I wouldn't be surprised if you have to start over again on your P's, not just the 3 months you would have left.
And unfortunately I believe that it won't work about the end of your 12 month thing either. While the penalty may not start until you pay, the offence still happened and is enacted upon as to your conditions at the time of the offence. (hope that makes sense).
Sorry, I know how much it sucks.

I reckon that's how it is down here too mate. A mates son got done just before he was ending his [P] Lic and he had to do the whole 2 1/2 years again. Same goes for the DUI example you gave. If you were on Blacks and got done DUI, you'd have to serve 1 year on a [P] Lic, then return to blacks.

To OP. If it was that much of a concern, you could have offered a full lic holder a couple hundred Dollars, plus the cost of the fine to nominate themselves as the driver.

VicCop

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SV6 SII
Trayner: Taken from: P1 and P2 Probationary licence restrictions : VicRoads

Any suspension, drink driving offence without licence cancellation or suspension, or drug driving offence, will result in an extension of the P1 or P2 period

Correct. This was one of the best changes when the new rules were introduced. Previously, if a P driver became suspended they then got their full licence upon the suspension being lifted. A bit of a rip off if you ask me. Now they have to continue to serve their time and in effect prove that they are worthy of proceeding to their full licence.

Points are deducted when u pay the fine, they don't back date the points. If u disput it and it goes to court, the result is then applied what ever the outcome.

At worst u can call vicroads anonymously and enquire how points work with fines.

Technically points aren't deducted from a licence. You accrue (or gain) them. You start with zero and points go up as you incur penalties. So the less points or none, the better.

Believe it or not I have come across motorists with in excess of 30 demerit points recorded. All suspended or disqualified or course.

As to when they are added I'm not completely sure. It could be when the 28 day period lapses because that's the time frame you have to send it back electing it to be dealth with by a court, or nominate another driver in the case of an offence detected by a camera.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
I was hoping you would post in here VicCop :) Thanks for the input, so 12points are the max you can accrue (over time) before having to take the options of loss of licence or 12months 1point?

could you find out or is it all to do with VicRoads?

Off Topic, VicCop: if possible do you recommendations? will shoot you a PM tomorrow.