Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Loose steering column - help!

Scatman696

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk berlina
Can't say I had that issue with the 3 columns I have done....The last one was about 10 years back.....

The bracket at the base of the column isn't catching on a pedal or alikes, not allowing the column to move downwards?

Something to look at
No I don’t believe it’s catching. I don’t want to tap the stem down or I’ll most likely collapse it.

We are close but no cigar yet!!

Scatman696

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk berlina
Can't say I had that issue with the 3 columns I have done....The last one was about 10 years back.....

The bracket at the base of the column isn't catching on a pedal or alikes, not allowing the column to move downwards?

Something to look at
I have been told by a wrecker that you leave the bottom bracket last and force it on with a screw driver.

Haven’t tried that yet.

I had thought of taking the column out and tapping it backwards - but most likely to break the pins I guess?

I’m sort of stuck hard. Just having a refresh / break from it for my sanity

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I have been told by a wrecker that you leave the bottom bracket last and force it on with a screw driver.

Haven’t tried that yet.

I had thought of taking the column out and tapping it backwards - but most likely to break the pins I guess?

I’m sort of stuck hard. Just having a refresh / break from it for my sanity

Yes, the bolt at the base of the column should go in, once you have at least 1 nut on the studs.....Not before....

Honestly, I have never struck the issue you describe when I have replaced he column.....

I've slid the intermediate shaft onto the rack, and the column lines up with the studs that come out of the dash..

Scatman696

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk berlina
Yes, the bolt at the base of the column should go in, once you have at least 1 nut on the studs.....Not before....

Honestly, I have never struck the issue you describe when I have replaced he column.....

I've slid the intermediate shaft onto the rack, and the column lines up with the studs that come out of the dash..
So basically attempt to get one of the dash bolts in and then engage the bottom base with bolt and it should be good?

Scatman696

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk berlina

If I jack the car up and turn the wheels will this help me get a better angle? more room? I have loosened the bottom bolt and am able just to get both of the dash bolts on, however the third under dash bolts does not line up at all no matter what I do. I was thinking if I was to jack the car up and turn the steering slightly will this help? I'm stuck and out of ideas.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Has the alloy slotted tab in the column moved? From memory they can move in the column slots

Scatman696

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk berlina
Has the alloy slotted tab in the column moved? From memory they can move in the column slots
Yes I noticed that it does it pulls downwards a little but when I try and seat it up on the bolts and into the bottom bracket under pressure it feels jammed. I don’t want to go two hard and sheer the pins.