Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Loose steering column - help!

Scatman696

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk berlina
Nope....The pin that has been mentioned has sheared off causing the column to collapse....

The pin shears off to help prevent damage to your body in the event of an accident, by allowing the shaft to collapse down with you, rather than being fixed in place.

If you grab the shaft, it'll move upwards, which is the motion you described in the beginning of this thread....

Either than column has been in an accident, or someone hit it with a hammer to remove a steering wheel.
I have a second hand column that I have just purchased. Hopefully this doesn’t have the same issues. My father just picked it up for me and I’ll install in the morning when he brings it over. Thank you for confirming the column is stuffed and housing bearing. Round #2 here we come.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The biggest pain is a 5/8 headed bolt (from memory) that holds it in place at the pedal box....It's located via the top of the column at the pedal box...

Best to undo the 4 X13MM nuts that hold it to the dash and hold the column down, whilst using extension bars with the socket on the end.

You'll understand when you get to it... :)

Scatman696

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk berlina
Nope....The pin that has been mentioned has sheared off causing the column to collapse....

The pin shears off to help prevent damage to your body in the event of an accident, by allowing the shaft to collapse down with you, rather than being fixed in place.

If you grab the shaft, it'll move upwards, which is the motion you described in the beginning of this thread....

Either than column has been in an accident, or someone hit it with a hammer to remove a steering

The biggest pain is a 5/8 headed bolt (from memory) that holds it in place at the pedal box....It's located via the top of the column at the pedal box...

Best to undo the 4 X13MM nuts that hold it to the dash and hold the column down, whilst using extension bars with the socket on the end.

You'll understand when you get to it... :)
Awesome info - thanks again. Yes I have had a look at this and I can see the 4 x 13mm bolts. Is the challenge bolt under the rubber boot in pedal box? Is that the only one that will be a challenge? I’m 124kg and I’m already stressing about it

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Awesome info - thanks again. Yes I have had a look at this and I can see the 4 x 13mm bolts. Is the challenge bolt under the rubber boot in pedal box? Is that the only one that will be a challenge? I’m 124kg and I’m already stressing about it

Don't think it's under the rubber root...As soon as you lean on the column, look straight down with a torch and you'll spot it

The next hardest part is lining the intermediate shaft up properly on the rack, so you can put that bolt back in (13MM head)...That just takes a little patience...

The loom unplugs easily off the column and the wiper loom unclips easily....(ie wiper/indicator switch)...No way to get them mixed up...

Slide it in and out carefully, not to damage any of the under dash wiring and she'll be apples. :)

Scatman696

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk berlina

Either than column has been in an accident, or someone hit it with a hammer to remove a steering wheel.
Hi there,

I have the new column in, and I’m a couple of mil short of making the top brackets. We have tried everything loosening the bottom bolt that attaches the shaft. With attempted to wiggle it around moving the uni joints and still coming up short. Is there a knack or a way this can be done? We are so close but yet so far

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hi there,

I have the new column in, and I’m a couple of mil short of making the top brackets. We have tried everything loosening the bottom bolt that attaches the shaft. With attempted to wiggle it around moving the uni joints and still coming up short. Is there a knack or a way this can be done? We are so close but yet so far
Compare the old one (that you just pulled out) to the new one? Are they exactly the same, are the bolts the same length or one set sleightly shorter? Are there any spacers. Are they the same? Maybe one of the spacers from the old column is still there?
Measure things, have a look with a critical eye at both.
I'm sure you will work it out. :)

Last edited:

Scatman696

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk berlina
Compare the old one (that you just pulled out) to the new one? Are they exactly the same, are the bolts the same length or one set sleightly shorter? Are there any spacers. Are they the same? Maybe one of the spacers from the old column is still there?
Measure things, have a look with a critical eye at both.
I'm sure you will work it out. :)
Yeah we checked. They are Identical. It’s only a couple of mil out. But I don’t want to force it.

I thought someone might know a hack or what they did to get in smoothly.

Thanks

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Hi there,

Is the problem getting the column brackets to line up with the studs coming out of the dash frame?

Scatman696

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk berlina
Is the problem getting the column brackets to line up with the studs coming out of the dash frame?
Yes it is. We have tried wiggling it, pressure (only by hands etc) the rubber boot at the bottom is clear of it as well.

I just can’t seem to get it back on the bolts from the dash frame it’s close - just a few mils at most.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yes it is. We have tried wiggling it, pressure (only by hands etc) the rubber boot at the bottom is clear of it as well.

I just can’t seem to get it back on the bolts from the dash frame it’s close - just a few mils at most.

Can't say I had that issue with the 3 columns I have done....The last one was about 10 years back.....

The bracket at the base of the column isn't catching on a pedal or alikes, not allowing the column to move downwards?

Something to look at