Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Low profile tyres/rims and country roads

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
For those who have not seen the effect of country roads on low profile tyres check this out.

20210112_150046.jpg

We live in a country area and the roads are a bit hit and miss at times. I advised son no 2 not to run with these rims - but as usual the old man is FOS.

80km hr - oncoming truck - two passenger side rims split completely in two.

So what is he looking to replace them with - new low profile rims and tyres.

Bashes head on wall and then laughs!

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
"Hey Dad, can you lend me some cash"
"What for, your new rims to replace the ones I told you not to use"
"Umm, ahhh, well, you know ...... ahhh, I bought the new rims, so this loan will be for next Saturday night".

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Got to love it....When they are young, they think they are right, until this happens....

Can't believe he is going for a second bite

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@Jolls, curious if they where factory rims or some aftermarket rim? cast alloy or drop forged?

(some city roads aren't much better than country roads)

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I have seen similar issues occur with rims in my time and the supplier has actually come to the party and replaced the rims and even damage to the car that has resulted in the rim failure....

However having this sort of stuff occur, in the country area in which it seems he lives, one would be silly to go back down the same path again....

One thing for sure is, they would have had a goodride with that happening.... :p (saracasm that may not have been warranted)

Oh and finally...I am glad that he didn't get hurt as a result of that failure....At the estimated speed, things could have turned nasty in a heartbeat....

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
@Jolls, curious if they where factory rims or some aftermarket rim? cast alloy or drop forged?

@Skylarking - definitely cast alloy made by GM; not sure 20" rims were standard on the VE V8 Calais though. Both are split through in the same fashion; right down the centre

Last edited:

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
I have seen similar issues occur with rims in my time and the supplier has actually come to the party and replaced the rims and even damage to the car that has resulted in the rim failure....

However having this sort of stuff occur, in the country area in which it seems he lives, one would be silly to go back down the same path again....

One thing for sure is, they would have had a goodride with that happening.... :p (saracasm that may not have been warranted)

Oh and finally...I am glad that he didn't get hurt as a result of that failure....At the estimated speed, things could have turned nasty in a heartbeat....

@vc commodore I doubt any supplier would come to the party unless we told porkies about how it happened. The hole was about two feet long, a foot deep and a foot wide in the bitumen, and of course, on a corner with very limited verge. It would have made a hell of a bang in our Hilux. I only bashed one of my steel rims back into shape after hitting something similar on a "high" standard dirt road just before Christmas. They are just not the right feet for a car out this way unless you are sticking to the highway.

Thanks for the thought - surprisingly the cheese and kisses and two billy lids weren't overly concerned about it; except for the loud noise that woke the baby. Different story when the saw the rims. I was surprised there was not more damage given the size of the pothole. It definitely could have been a nasty event if they had gone over the verge - instanly flat tyres on a right hand corner on the off camber. The gods were definitely smiling.

I will try to bash some sense into his skull at work during the week!

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
For those who have not seen the effect of country roads on low profile tyres check this out.

View attachment 218117

We live in a country area and the roads are a bit hit and miss at times. I advised son no 2 not to run with these rims - but as usual the old man is FOS.
I read this.
No 2 loves you very much.
I don`t know what FOS means.
But FOC would have been very rude lol

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I heard a claim can be made to Council for not maintaining the roads as they are paid to do, when an incident like this occurs

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I heard a claim can be made to Council for not maintaining the roads as they are paid to do, when an incident like this occurs

Unless it is like WA where Main Roads policy is that if you have a tyre with a profile of 40 or less you can go get fcuked, irrespective of how bad the road surface is.