Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ls1 In vk

MS85VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk commodore
finally ready for ls1 in my Vk wondering if anyone who has done the conversion can share some help with me iv read a few threads but just confused about k frame steering racks what the best combo you have used if I should just get the Castlemaine kit want the engine in as easy as possible no head aches my Vk currently stock 202 Carby donor car is a wh statesman, I pretty much just want to get the ls1 in and run it stock stock gear box before I starting working any help appreciated thanks

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
I've got an LS3 and TH400 in my VK. I used a VS V8 k frame and VL manual steering rack and intermediate shaft. Got the conversion kit from CAE, using their engine and gearbox mounts and their Castle Headers 1 3/4 tri-y pipes. Clearance is pretty tight with those so i woudn't go the bigger 1 7/8 4-1 cause they're a pain to get in. I still had to give mine a couple of taps with a hammer around the intermediate shaft where it bolts to the spline on the rack, and a couple near the passenger side rail. You will also need to change the fuel system to suit, I'm using a VN V8 tank, replaced the stock in tank pump with a Walbro 460, that will feed into a filter/regulator mounted next to the tank, and run a returnless 3/8 line to the fuel rail. You'll need to retain the emissions stuff such as the charcoal canister. I also done a VT front brake upgrade, VS booster and VT master cylinder, VT discs and calipers, and conversion hubs (not the cheap eBay specials)

Find an engineer and speak to them in detail about it to see what they need for it to be signed off.

MS85VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk commodore
Thanks heaps for the info mate did you get yours engineered

Yeah I thought there’d be some tapping involved I was hoping to run my k frame from my car now with the my steering rack but I don’t think that will work is it easier to run a power steering setup or is it not worth it. I wasn’t going to run power steering but I was told I may as well run it ?? I was also told I can run my tank just run a vl pump or maybe was vl turbo pump do you know if that is true

MS85VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk commodore
Curious how did you go with your dash custom dash heard can’t get the Speedo to work with this conversion and other things to

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
You can stick with your k frame and get engine mounts to suit it. it's not that difficult to run power steering either, i only went with the manual rack as it's easier, more room, and mine is only a weekender. You need a fuel pump from a fuel injected car and it needs to have enough capacity to keep up with the LS, i dont know if a VL pump will fit a VK carby tank, a new fuel pump and regulator wont cost too much, and if you end up getting a later model tank (VN - VS), make sure you get the straps as well.

There are a couple of options for the dash, you can get the factory speedo converted with an electric motor so you just need to hook up the speed sensor wires from the gearbox, you can get an x drive box from CRS or some other places that take the electric impulses from the speed sensor and drive a mechanical output shaft to use the factory speedo cable, or you can get a Dakota Digital speed sensor that has a cable drive on the end of it. Or go for a custom dash with autometer gauges with a electronic speedo

I'm still building mine, got the motor, box and headers in, working on the fuel system and the wiring at the moment.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
vk crossmember only good if stays manual rack as p/steer rack way too bulky otherwise find vn-s v8 crossmember then use later model p/steer rack & steering link.

Engine mounts/trans member you can hit Lowe Fabrications for tuff munts/musle garage street series which should be similar price to CRS.

Pacemakers are compatible most cars need firewall or floorpan tapping whether holden v8 or ls.

Other than that might have to trim crossmember for sump cleartance(most don't) & tap in trans tunnel for little extra clearance driver's side near auto pan.

Can also use adapt trimatic shifter with th700 so 4l60e should work too just doesn't overdive selection unless you fit up/modify vl jatco shifter

Speedo you either buy exxy electric speedo drive box from crs or other way is adapt gps speedo into your dash.

MS85VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk commodore
Nice thanks heaps for the information let us no how your build goes would love to see it tell youv put the time and effort in this sure your Vk will fly,I’m just sourcing the rest of my parts now get my hands on a Vl turbo diff then I’ll start with the mounts, then hopefully start getting the motor in soon thanks heaps again for the info

MS85VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk commodore
Thanks gtrboyy for the info iv heard Lowe fabrications would do the conversion also, I was told by some one Dunno if it’s worth but I did think about it as I ain’t a mechanic only know no a few things here and there

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Could probably do 90% of the work yourself learning as you go...takes time finding right parts on a budget then bolting it all up.

Buying parts outright in a rush or paying someone to do all work will

Just don't chop or cut anything in case you need it later haha

Look under back of your car if diff has flat flange where tailshaft bolts up means vk borgwarner diff...saves heaps of coin & can salvage most parts off vn-s diff cheaply.

MS85VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk commodore
Cheer mate thanks heaps for the info yeah I’m gking give it a go with a few mates bit scared **** not fitting lining up etc but all be a big of fun n I’m sure the conversion is well worth it