Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ls1 into vk

ogle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk sl
ive just got my vk back from painters and its now time to fit the ls1, im running 4l60e auto and dont want to use the castlemaine rodshop kit(to many bad stories) is there anyone who's fitted an ls1 without it? ive already got a set of tuff mounts. ive heard its possible using a vs kframe, rack and mini starter to avoid clearance issues and swapping the starter, if youve done this swap or know some one any help would be great

OFF T4P

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
383 HSV GTO coupe & vk ls1 turbo
hey mate i am currently doing this conversion atm. I used tuff mounts VS K frame Vn powersteering and a vl intermedit shaft to join the rack and steering coloum. i am using the standard starter as i am going single turbo and wont need to run pipes down that side there is not much room down there. a mini starter might free up a bit of room for headers. The 4l60e is ganna be a issue making that fit you will need to mods the tunnle and trim all the fins and **** off the box. turbo 400 would be the way to go

ogle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk sl
is the th400 a straight mount up or do i need to get a different bell housing? and are the lower control arms a straight bolt up or do i need to use vs struts to?

VBRED

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VK Calais 333 Pack
Mate The VK lower arms fit the VS K frame.

Can't help with the gearbox.

ogle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk sl
thanks ive been sussing it out there appears to be a conversion kit due to a shorter snout on the th400 converter, i already have a vs rack im wondering now if i need to modify the length of the rack ends at all?

OFF T4P

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Any k frame from vn - vs will do the job and same with the powersteering rack vn-vs they are all pretty mch interchangeable. you will need a vl shaft to hook it all up you wont need to do anything to the control arms. with the th400 its a straight bolt up apart from the top bolt wont line up but all the rest will so it wont matter if you leave that one out . you will need a custom convertor made up to suit .

VBRED

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VK Calais 333 Pack
Refer to post by 21sly "use Vn powersteering and a vl intermedit shaft to join the rack and steering coloum".

ogle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk sl
thanks for the advice glad i got it now and not when i was trying to shoehorn the 4l60e in ha ha, 21sly do you know anyone selling an entire vk loom mine has been fried

OFF T4P

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
nar mate ichopped all my loom out and i am using a ls1 standalone harness from a dude down south. and custom wiring all the windows and lights and all other electrics i wont have all the calais **** it come with. No heat No ac No boot release no interoir lights all the sort of **** i have deleted only running the bare minimum for rego

180sc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais & vh sl
"The 4l60e is gonna be a issue making that fit you will need to mods the tunnel and trim all the fins and **** off the box. turbo 400 would be the way to go "

Is there a physical difference between an ls1 4l60e than any other 4l60E ? i have fitted 3 one in vb behind 350 chev and one vs box behind ecotech in vh and a vt 4l60e behind a super 6 all fit well with a slight mod in the same place and takes 5 mins to do with a grinder a hammer and a welder and unless you look very long and hard you wont even notice whats been done.

I know vl are a different story as they have a smaller tunnel but vb-vk shouldnt be an issue.