Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1 swapped VC Commodore power steering rack Hat

Dazza_B

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC commodore
Hi

im currently LS1 swapping my mates VC commodore and am trying to make the power steering lines fit around the headers.

i have got a VN subframe and a VL Power steering rack. i have heard from several people that the hats on the racks need to be swapped to move the position of the lines as currently they point straight into the headers.

I found a Forum Post the shows the hat i am looking for (pictured below). It states there that it is a VP hat but when I look up VP racks the hat doesn't seem to match the one in the post)
Photo0591.jpg

would anyone happen to know what the hat in the picture is or provide any info on how they have done it in their swap that would be much appreciated.

thanks.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Cant really tell from pics but in person with tape measure or vl/n rack to compare others to it's easier..

splined shaft narrow racks are vl or vn

slotted shaft shorter rack ends like vl/n rack ends is vp

slotted shaft with longer racker ends is vr/s

To tell difference if using vb/k k frame or rack measure mounting points but can easily tell by the bulky part where lines go into is way bigger.

Might be the kit or extractors you're using so google issues blokes may have with that brand.

Dazza_B

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC commodore
Might be the kit or extractors you're using so google issues blokes may have with that brand
There CAE performance products (castle Headers) VB-LS1 Tri-Y Headers and they barley fit. they've been the biggest headache of this whole build.

WOULD NOT RECOMMEND PURCHASING
originally brought the 4 into 1 headers and they did not come close to fitting.
then i got them to swap them to the Tri-Y headers and the header flanges had massive warps in them. I rung up and they took them back and "fixed" them for me. At least this time they were nice enough to pick them up drop the "repaired" ones back instead of me driving 2.5H there and back.

Thanks for the help. hopefully someone else knows.im thinking of going to a wreckers and looking at the racks they got there.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
As you already know extractors don't fit which is biggest part of the problem & need to be modified to suit youre car...very common for clearance issues.

Even certain brand that fits closest needs bottom of extractors modified to clear floor...other brands either dont fit at all or complete nightmare to get in especially 1 7/8 pipes.

Nearly went Ls on my vp ute...already had ls1/t56 donor car & was leaning more towards custom kit which moved rack over & kept original starter position & custom 4 into 1's that pulled apart. or other option was tuff mounts kit using pacemakers.

From what I've read most use vn rack for early girls & for vn-vs they'll keep whatever rack is in car & adapt everything else to fit....on mine I usually end up going manual racks as p/steer either fits well but leaks or no leaks but clearance issues lol