Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1 & T56 Conversion to VK Calais

RACE5L

Solid cammed
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 355
The only engine im told you can get away with MAFLESS is a C4B, but that was from an internet source. Have you checked the alignment of your gearbox to diff pinion? I am looking for a gearbox crossmember for a T56 into VH and one build I followed had issues with off the shelf mounts and ended up having to fabricate his own. I have Tuff mounts for the engine, but may swap to go lower.

ERORR: It is lucky the LS1 engine weighs less as it is the part that hangs over the front tyres. As a driveline swap, any loss in weight in the engine is made up in the T56's bulky weight coming in at around 75kgs. A trimatic is in the low 40s...

VBRED

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VK Calais 333 Pack
Maybe a maflees tune after engineering. Maybe a set of upper adjustable diff arms to get the pinion angle ok. I have an off the shelf gearbox crossmember but the engineer is not happy with it. I might fabricate a new one.

THe T56 is a big box. Not surprised it weighs 35kg more then atrimatic.

Jam43

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl walkinshaw replica
Can anyone tell me what they have done about the tail shaft when doing the conversion

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Can anyone tell me what they have done about the tail shaft when doing the conversion

At a guess you'll have to go custom.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Use either the tailshaft from either the car or the donor car the engine came from and shorten to the length needed as well as the rear mount for the diff changed. Should be fairly straight forward for a shop to do if you have your measurements right.

Yonzi

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk brock
I just randomly bumped into this thread/site after looking up LS1-related ****.. thought I'd help out.

I done this conversion about 5 years ago. LS1/T56 into my VH. I put the eng/trans in myself, bought a conversion kit off Castlemaine (mounts, starter adapter plate, mini starter, rip shifter, headers...) got Electronic Auto. to take care of the wiring for me, got the McDonald Bros to weld up the corners of my sump after I chopped 'em for k-frame clearance, Prof.Exhaust to modify the extractors as they wouldn't fit, got my tailshaft shortened, slapped VT brakes on...
I ended up crashing the damn thing (thanks to old unroadworthy tyres + a crappy wet road) which makes me :censored: :bomb: Ran like a dream but.. just like I knew it would.

Anyways, looks like you got the clutch sorted.. as for the ECU, mine's mounted under my dash (pas. side). Fits perfectly - above and away from feet.
I left that solenoid on the trans you were talking about and just bashed out my tunnel to make room for it.
I don't remember having probs with my coil touching my brake booster..
Sorted out your accel.cable yet (assuming ur going the cable-route)? Think I used a VR one.. which was a bit too long and had to loop it around where it hooks up above the pedal. Shave off some of that accel.cable/linkage-stop thing on your T/B btw, to allow your flap to fully open (as it doesn't from factory) for more power.

I too had an engineer (Bill Malkoutsis or someshit) come over my place to check it out mid-build.. what a joke. Mfer charged me $264 to pretty much just tell me:
- Have a fingers tip worth of clearance all around your engine/sump/exhaust.
- Run your wiring on the opposite side of your fuel line(s).
- Run those late model clip-on fuel fittings (which Elec.Auto. told me to f-em-off as they are **** and just use normal clamps).
- You need to run the same pollution crap of the car that engine came from.

Yeh that's pretty much it. The rest of the time he was telling me about what parts of U.S. he'd been to. I should've kicked him off my driveway and told him to f-off when he charged me that.

Oh yeah.. VL tank, Bosch external pump (not a damn 044 which everyone buys for some unknown reason), fuel press.reg mounted under the car near my tank, pollution canister also mounted near the tank, spun my fuel rail around to make the outlet/inlet closer to the line... ah memories :bang:

How much did you pay for the shorten tail shaft and where abouts.