Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LSD my 2.89 Diff

kiwi nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 vz sv6
Hi i have a 04 sv6 i would like to know if it's posible to change my single spinner to a lsd. has anyone done this and if so how did you do it? I'm thinking of changing the differential case that mounts on to the crown wheel inside the diff so this way i keep the 2.87 ratio. this is what i'm thinging If i take a 3.07 diff lsd and remove the differential case off the crown wheel and mount it on my 2.89 diff. Would it work and does anyone know if the holes line up with the crown wheel?

I know it would be easier to change the whole diff to a different ratio but I would like to keep the 2.87 diff.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

kiwi nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 vz sv6
most sv6 are not lsd thats what i was told.
My holden dealer told me that only police cars have lsd in the sv6. i also asked them about my questions but they couldn't give me an answer.
i just want to have both wheels spinning .

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
oh well, nz must be different, my sales brochure says its standard, i just had a gander at it,

if that 3.07 lsd centre id from a v8 you will need to swap the case aswell as they are a 8inch diff, v6 diffs are 7.5 inch, the dont interchange as they dont fit

so im not sure if you can just swap the crownwheels/pinions they could be different centres

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
Are you 100% sure you don't have an lsd

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
oh well, nz must be different, my sales brochure says its standard, i just had a gander at it,

if that 3.07 lsd centre id from a v8 you will need to swap the case aswell as they are a 8inch diff, v6 diffs are 7.5 inch, the dont interchange as they dont fit

Why would they be different? They are all made over here aren't they?

kiwi nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 vz sv6
Are you 100% sure you don't have an lsd

I'm sure its not a lsd. i can only get smoke pouring out off one tyre and also i jacked the car up and span the tyre. only one side turned. if it was a lsd both wheels would have turned.

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
I'm sure its not a lsd. i can only get smoke pouring out off one tyre and also i jacked the car up and span the tyre. only one side turned. if it was a lsd both wheels would have turned.

Thats not enough to check it. Have a look and the actual label on the diff case.

Your lsd clutches could be worn hence its running like a single spinner. It happens.

If its single spinner the opposite wheel should turn the other way.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thats not enough to check it. Have a look and the actual label on the diff case.

Your lsd clutches could be worn hence its running like a single spinner. It happens.

If its single spinner the opposite wheel should turn the other way.

if thats the case you could pull the centre out check replace the cones or tighten them up a little:whistling

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
Why would they be different? They are all made over here aren't they?

dont know, i think the middle east export commos, the sv6 is sold with a 4-speed auto