Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MACE Cold Air Intake

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Ok So I finally got my act together on Saturday and spent some time putting the CAI from Mace in.

Dead easy installation, as usual I didn't read the instructions. If Greg had included an Allen key, the kit could have been straight from IKEA.

Things I learned from the job - Install the steel Pipe into the Pod filter first it's easiest that way. It's worth dropping the MAf off and giving it a quick blow clean.

VT Commodores - we have it easy when it comes to making this box really perform. Between the radiator support Panel and the radiator itself is a plastic panel thats used as a spacer, and to locate the lower aircon gas return line. This panel covers a vent in the support panel that is about 4 inches long by an inch and a half wide. This vent if it's opened allows air to flow directly from in front of the radiator, to the head light surround area, where the CAI picks up from.

Drop off the hoses from the radiator and drain your coolant. Lift the clips in the top of the radiator support panel. Lift out the radiator. Pull out the plastic panel. Cut the top half off, leaving bottom hose guide. Reverse process and vent is now open.

If you have aircon (99% of us) the flow is obscured in part by the condensor.

Tips and tricks - I used a nikko pen and marked the outline of the box on the panels around it. Then took the box out and put a strip of foam cushion tape on the marks. A little better sealing and a vit of vibration damping. I also sealed up the slots in the bends of thebox with some gaffa tape.

The hole in the box for the 3" Diameter steel pod mount is a little oversize. I cut a piece of ice cream container lid out, cut a 3" dia hole in it (used mount pipe as a guide) slid it over the pipe, mounted everything up, then gaffa taped it in place to limit air flow loss. Theoretically speaking, this is not necessary, as there is more air going into the box than the engine can use, I'm just a freak for fiddling with things.

Sounds good, it's actually quieter than what I had before which was a bare pod in the bay. I can hear the exhaust burble over the intake hiss now with the window down. Cool.

Is there any effect yet on performance or economy ? Yes and No - Haven't run any times, and have been playing with chipsets so nothing specific. When I have something bankable I'll post it up. So do I have any non bankable feelings I want to post about it ? Yes. I think the torque curve is a little broader. I notice when I sink the slipper from low speed that the nose comes up - and stays up. Before the nose would come up then ease off a little when the torque converter locked up and stopped multplying torque. That sort of dead spot between about 1800 and 3500 RPM where not much happened seems a bit less apparent. Do NOT assume that this was all the doings of the CAI though, I'm playing with other bits and pieces as well.

All in all, this is a damn neat install, dead simple, without adding complexity over the serpentine belt system (which I don't like - I had to change a serpentine on the side of the road once.....). Theres plenty of flexibility in the Intake hose extensions, the Pod does it's job, and I'm convinced that theres a heap of air hitting the box when your moving.

Have fun.

Andrew

Thanks for some tips Andrew they helped me put mine into the VS.
Hope you didn`t mind but I just added my comments in here.

Well first off big thanks to Steve for his help.
On the whole the install was easy.
The pipe could be shorter.
I put some washers on top of the lid thought it looked better (just me).
The pickup is much smoother that the SS CAI I must say.
I`m going on a long drive tomorrow (17/10/10)
Hope to give her some on the highway no speeding lol.
Have a look at the link of my ride.
Cheers Pete.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Went for a 300k round trip run today.
Cruising most of the way had to pass 2 vans in passing lane put foot down in econ. mode just sailed pass with ease great pickup.

If I was in the car by myself I proberly would have really gave her some but really didn`t need to.
The car is running well.

I`m very pleased with the the 2 products I have got from Mace.
Thanks Steve.

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Quick note - ABS sheeting that is sold in australia (not pellets that are used to injection mould items) contain about 2-4% Gypsum / Talc which gives it a UL94-VO flame retardancy rating, so the Sheet Steve makes his Air boxes from is actually more heat retardant and flame retardant than the factory blow moulded items.

They also contain about 2% Carbon black which improves the UV restance rating, and increases it's thermal softening point. Stiffer and more long lasting.

MACE

Reaction score
Quick note - ABS sheeting that is sold in australia (not pellets that are used to injection mould items) contain about 2-4% Gypsum / Talc which gives it a UL94-VO flame retardancy rating, so the Sheet Steve makes his Air boxes from is actually more heat retardant and flame retardant than the factory blow moulded items.

They also contain about 2% Carbon black which improves the UV restance rating, and increases it's thermal softening point. Stiffer and more long lasting.

Thanks for the finer details of the plastic used, some of which I wasn't aware of :)

I'm guessing you've never worked in the plastics industry before :p

big_mack69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX commodore S2 S pack
Just installed the MACE CAI yesterday and it works great, sounds really good and is great value for money, already had someone admire it lol

Cheers

DSC_0094.jpg

DSC_0093.jpg

DSC_0092.jpg

DSC_0091.jpg

DSC_0090.jpg

DSC_0089.jpg

DSC_0088.jpg

DSC_0087.jpg

DSC_0086.jpg

DSC_0085.jpg

DSC_0084.jpg

DSC_0083.jpg

greenVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx exec
am looking at getting the mace cai in a few weeks just wondering what the sound is like?, as a mate has an ss induct. growler one on his car and was wondering if the sound is similar?
also at around the same of putting cai in im putting a 69mm throttle body on and was wondering if it would be best to get it tuned?

feedback much appreciated
cheers!!!

MACE

Reaction score
am looking at getting the mace cai in a few weeks just wondering what the sound is like?, as a mate has an ss induct. growler one on his car and was wondering if the sound is similar?
also at around the same of putting cai in im putting a 69mm throttle body on and was wondering if it would be best to get it tuned?

feedback much appreciated
cheers!!!

Hey greenVX,

It will sound similar to the SS induct kit. In regards to going a 69m throttle body it will work well, however depending on your driving style and if you have an auto without a shift kit you may want to get it tuned to tweak shift points.

In saying this though there are other items to consider first such as our manifold spacers and higher ratio rockers etc, depending on your requirements and budget.

If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,
Steve