Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MACE Cold Air Intake

henrytad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SS 6.2L
installed the mace CAI kit on my commodore executive vz. after starting the car, the car struggles to stay on n keeps reving up n down n eventually turns off and displays the message "check power train". has this happened to anyone else? if so, how did you resolve it?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
did you forget to plug anything back in?

henrytad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SS 6.2L
nah everythings fine just the way it should be. cars still struggling. apparently no one else is having this problem except me :S

henrytad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SS 6.2L
hey again guys, just tried disconnecting the battery, left it for two mins to reset the computer and it works fine. errors gone and the car isnt struggling anymore. cheers and thanks, and hope itll b a help to anyone else who gets the same problem

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Well thats random. Putting a CAI on the car shouldn't mess with the ECU.

henrytad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SS 6.2L
yeh youd think that aye, but they make the commodores so intelligent these days. you know at first i put just a pod filter on the hose and the car wouldnt work, then i took the lid n shoved the pod through there n connected it and the car worked fine. for an entire day i was going where the hell is the sensor. but at least its all worked out now

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
yeh youd think that aye, but they make the commodores so intelligent these days. you know at first i put just a pod filter on the hose and the car wouldnt work, then i took the lid n shoved the pod through there n connected it and the car worked fine. for an entire day i was going where the hell is the sensor. but at least its all worked out now

We all knew that machines would take over the world one day, I guess it all started with Commodores.

DrZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman "cam only"
Hi All,
I've been seriously considering a CAI for my VS V6 Calais (Namely one of MACE's), but I'm curious about one thing. I've had a look through the threads and there is a lot about CAI's but not the question I want to know.

What would be better for my car, one of Steve's CAI for the VS or an Over The Radiator CAI? Or would there be that minimal amount of difference it shouldn't even matter?

Then in that case which one would be easier to home install, cause the MACE one looks pretty darn easy.

Cheers,
Brendan

Aussie V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E 308/T350. 1989 FJ75 Toyota Troopcarrier
What would be better for my car, one of Steve's CAI for the VS or an Over The Radiator CAI? Or would there be that minimal amount of difference it shouldn't even matter?
Anything that goes over the radiator will draw heat from it which defeats the purpose of having a CAI.

Some would say the amount of heat transfered is minimal and that is true for a race car cause it is always going at speed so it has a Ram Air effect helping to keep things cooler. However street cars are driven in stop-start traffic so the Ram Air effect is minimal in a few situations and this is when the heat soak develops. The main issue then is cooling the over the radiator CAI down again.

The huge advantage I can see with Steve's design is it is not in the path of a heat source, remember heat rises. Being beside the radiator and insulated from it, drawing air from around the headlight allows Steve's CAI to take in air that is at ambient temperature not heated by the radiator.

Hope that helps.

MACE

Reaction score
Hi All,
I've been seriously considering a CAI for my VS V6 Calais (Namely one of MACE's), but I'm curious about one thing. I've had a look through the threads and there is a lot about CAI's but not the question I want to know.

Then in that case which one would be easier to home install, cause the MACE one looks pretty darn easy.

Cheers,
Brendan

Hi Bredan,

If get a chance to read FirstVR_JC product feedback in this thread it should answer your question about a direct practical comparison between the two :thumbsup:

If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,
Steve