Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MACE Cold Air Intake

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Hi Steve,

i think i can add a little to this debate. if done a fair bit of work on a otherwise stock ecotec VS, in particular work to find my lost fuel economy. i have been using EFIlive to datalog as i fix or modify things looking for improvements.

the very first thing we noticed (delcowizzid has been assisting with analysing datalogs) is that the inlet air temps were extremly high. this i found extemly odd as the very first mod i ever did to this car was to fit a Holden super6 OTR CAI(with k&N panel filter). the super6 cai works ok when the car is moving, but should you get stuck in traffic then it becomes a heatsoak nightmare. to put it in perspective, i was getting 50degrees C+ IAT temps on a 18degree C ambient day. with a minor mod (we removed the plastic strip between the radiator and the support panel allowing cool air from infront of the radiator to come upto the CAI) the IAT temps drop quicker once you get airflow but it still heats up when idling or stuck in traffic. so, in short the Holden super6 CAI is a heatsoak nightmare in VR/VS models and doesn't work real well unless other mods are undertaken. the super6 CAI does work better on VN/VP's which is purely because ofthe open grill design which allows cool air from the grill directly into the CAI.

in my opinion (and against most on this forum) a enclosed POD filter with some form of CAI is better then the factory VS super6 CAI, especially on VR/VS models.

anyway, i gotta go and pack the car now as i'm off skying early in the morning:yeah:

if only i had a MACE enclosed POD setup so i could datalog for a direct comparison :D

DrZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman "cam only"
Anything that goes over the radiator will draw heat from it which defeats the purpose of having a CAI.......
Hi Bredan,
If get a chance to read FirstVR_JC product feedback in this thread it should answer your question about a direct practical comparison between the two :thumbsup:.......
Cheers,
Steve
Hi Steve,
i think i can add a little to this debate.........if only i had a MACE enclosed POD setup so i could datalog for a direct comparison :D

Cheers guys for the quick and very helpful replies.
As soon as I'm finished moving and with my end of year exams (Yeah, UNI sure does suck sometimes) I'll likely have to give the MACE CAI a go for sure..

(Sorry for doing a partial down size on the quotes, reply far to large otherwise)
*for full quotes, read up

Thanks once again,
Brendan

MACE

Reaction score
Cheers guys for the quick and very helpful replies.
As soon as I'm finished moving and with my end of year exams (Yeah, UNI sure does suck sometimes) I'll likely have to give the MACE CAI a go for sure..

(Sorry for doing a partial down size on the quotes, reply far to large otherwise)
*for full quotes, read up

Thanks once again,
Brendan

All the best for those exams Brendan, I too have known your pain all to well :spew:

Cheers,
Steve

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
For the purpose of testing I think that can be arranged :D

let us know what your thinking and what you wanna do. i'm so over the super6 CAI. i've got the POD on the VN and i know it works well there. would be great to see it work on the VS also

Jezza

Now with LS1 power
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman International
hi i have a vl and was wondering about this and how much it costs for a cai and how much postage would be to adelaide so i know how much i will need

MACE

Reaction score

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
let us know what your thinking and what you wanna do. i'm so over the super6 CAI. i've got the POD on the VN and i know it works well there. would be great to see it work on the VS also

If you happen to get one fitted to the vs will you put back the plastic strip infront of the radiator?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
If you happen to get one fitted to the vs will you put back the plastic strip infront of the radiator?

i have fitted the MACE setup now and yes the platic strip will be going back on because i no longer get my air source from there.

the MACE setup does seem superior. the only complaint i've had from the missus is the increased induction noise :blah blah: :idea3: i may pick up some high density foam from work and stick it inside the enclosure to reduce some noise but that will be the limit of any effort to reduce the induction noise

i have EFI logs of back to back runs of super6 and MACE intakes and the MACE is cooler and cools quicker and has the benefits of the POD filter. so definitly a win win situation.

i will post these up for anybody that is interested in the results.

i may still add a pipe going through the bottom of the gaurd to the front bar to draw in 100% cold air in the future. this would the the best induction setup in my opinion and far superior to the factory super6 CAI