Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Manual or Auto License

Do you have a Manual or Auto License

• Manual License

Votes: 177 75.6%
  • Auto License

Votes: 50 21.4%
  • No License

Votes: 7 3.0%

• Total voters

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
if you need to watch the revs then you shouldn't drive a manual. different when you're flat changing in a semi up a hill while fully loaded. in a car not necessary if you're a good driver. my first car was a manual with no tacho. as soon as the car reaches a point where the car can still rev but isn't pulling any harder then you've reached the peak of torque and its the optimum time to change gear. when flat changing in a car you'd have better luck looking at the speedo and listening to the rev to match the engine rpm and driveline rpm.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
yeah the instructors car i learnt in was nasty. there was so much sound deadening in the fire walll, over heer voice i couldn't hear a thing. made me "learn" to use the tacho instead of the engine sound.

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
manual license, auto car but I grew up on a farm and have manual work cars so manuals are easy

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
in sa where i live your license doesn't state whether you can drive autos only or both but i can drive both but prefer manuals ( i've never owned one though )

VRFURY

Just Nic
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Berlina International Sportswagon
i learnt in my manual paddock bomb, but that was like 6 years before i got my license. I drove a manual for about six months when my VL was off the road. I looked like a total tool driving them cause my legs are to short and i have to sit way up close to the steering wheel, haha looks funny

AngryVN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE
Most definatly a manual.. for me its the only way to go

Schmoburger

Capt'n Kombi
Reaction score
Website
www.baywindowmafia.tk
Members Ride
'83 VH Vacationer wagon and '76 Volkswagen Kombi.
I'm on me red P's in NSW... I did my test the first time round in mum's automatic VR... not becasue I can't drive a manual, but because I just wanted A license so I would A) be more employable and B) have some degree of independance... whichever way you look at it, there is a whole lot less you can stuff up in an auto, so why not make it easy for oneself in the interim?

See.. in our household, I have mum's VR, dad's BMW, and my VN all with auto's at my disposal... so why be anal about getting a manual license first time round when three out of 5 cars available to me is automatic?

That said, I booked and took my manual test a week later and again passed awsomely in dad's Pajero... because auto's annoy me and my Kombi is a manual, and my preferred mode of transport. :D

I started teaching myself to drive stick before i even got my license, using my old Mini Moke and dad's beaten up Rodeo on our property and picked it up in one afternoon, but I agree that there is a difference between being able to operate a manual and actually drive one... but it does NOT lie in being able to do bloody clutchless gearshifts and other such bullshit.

Rev matching and double declutching WITH a clutch is good to learn, as it saves wearing out your synchro's.... but not using a clutch is just bloody stupid. They gave you a clutch so use the bloody thing.. or buy a semi-automatic Beetle! ;)

DARGAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Commodore
Auto. One thing thats seriously shits me is the ego of some people that drive manuals. Its like they think they are ultimately better drivers or something. I drive an auto because the only cars I had access to as a learner were a VT Wagon and a Ford Explorer LTD so obviously I now drive an auto.

I drove a manual once, "unauthorised" and didnt do too well because my foot was shaking so much it was hard to keep steady on the clutch. Then in year 10 I did a two day driver education program through school. Sounded awesome till I found out we were driving manuals.

Did the drivers ed course, PISS EASY. Hill starts, first time every time success. Loved it. Didnt stall once over two days of driving round tracks, over hills and swirving through cones. If i got in a manual today. I'd probably stall, buts its not rocket science and im sure i'd be cruising happily tommorow.

I once heard someone say to a chick who asked if his car was auto or manual. he replied, i'd shoot myself before I drove an auto. I turned and said "for most of us, our dicks between our legs, not between the driver and passenger seat".

If you have any intention of getting a manual car at some stage then your a fool not to get it first time because then you have the option of driving an auto or manual.

GLD-086

Reaction score
DARGAN said:
Auto. One thing thats seriously shits me is the ego of some people that drive manuals. Its like they think they are ultimately better drivers or something.

Well I don't think I'm a better driver, because I drive a Manual, but you do learn alot more. IMHO

My brother has a Auto VL, which is a nice car to drive, but I get bored with just accelerating, braking and steering.

I like driving around in my VL and mum's 5 Speed Laser, because it keeps me into driving. When I drive an Auto, I seriously feel alot more lazy and not as alert.

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
I got my manual licence on me Ps the thing that scares me is all these people say i got AUTO but can drive a manual well why dident ya get a manual licence from the start ?? And wen ya get of ya Ps ya free to drive wot ya want now that is wrong wen i was younger my girlfriend at the time had a auto licence on Ps (NSW) wen she got her full licence she wanted to buy a manual car so i had to teach her man that was scary as at the time i only had me VK and that was auto and our new car was gunna be ready at the end of the week so it was off to another car yard to test drive a manual car and teach her in a few days i was lucky as she had driven a manual befor but only on her oldies block ohh and the tractor lol.