Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MIL - Check Engine

Kittty_Kitza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
Hi, I'm new here, so feeling my way around, and hope its ok to continue a new post of an old thread as I can't locate the old one

I have a VE, purchased new, built May 2007, with LY motor - just clocked 142,000kms, always serviced by same mechanic. Check Engine light appeared in October 2015 together with oil light - mechanic serviced, changed oil filter, and replaced a new part (I know nothing about cars) anyway fixed problem, until recently x3 more times over a short period (no oil light just flashing check engine light) first time, I forgot to take the handbrake off for roughly 5mtrs, however MIL didn't appear until I'd driven 40kms, and after I leaned on the handbrake whilst levering myself into the driver’s seat (breaking the lever, not the handbrake, and showing my age LOL) hearing a crunch sound as the brake released from my weight. On inspecting oil, discovered the dipstick read end was broken off so couldn’t check levels, nearby mechanic placed 2 litres oil in anyway; check engine light didn’t appear again (Purchased new dipstick, reading was ok) 2nd time mechanic checked diagnostics, showed P0008 and a message - Position System Performance (Bank 1) mechanic stated nothing to worry about, turned off MIL, however asked to come back if came back on. Couple weeks grace - you guessed it - 3rd time, on staring engine, flashing CE light illuminates. After reading others comments in the old posted forum, I'm really worried its something major like timing chain. Apart from the flashing check engine light the cars performance hasn't changed. Any ideas what else this might be? No other diagnostic numbers came up in the read out. Thanks in advance for any insights.

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
You could possibly try what this guy did, his mechanic was doing services (Who should change your oil filter but didnt even )
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/check-engine-code-p0008-2.204583/post-2818224
Il quote what he said...
Hi, I realise this thread is starting to age a bit but I just thought I would share my experiences for those owners still looking for an answer. I have owned a VE SV6 MY09 (Built during 2008, compliance Jan 2009) since new, serviced as required according by the handbook and currently has around 110,000 km on it. Around October 2015 it started throwing random intermittent oil and check engine warnings, this turned out to be the P0008 code with no other codes. Every time the oil warning came on a check of the dip stick showed the oil was full. During March 2016 the frequency of this error increased to a point that it did not go away. Yesterday I decided to do a filter and oil change. This was the first time in 7 years that I had worked on the car, every other service was done by a GM certified mechanic, the oil filter looked like it was original, even though I had been paying for filter changes. After filter and oil change the car fired up without any sign of the engine warning light. Checked it with my scan tool and bingo, no logged codes and no impending codes. From what I have read in other forums I now believe the old oil filter was that contaminated it had upset the oil flow and tripped the oil and P0008 error due to a drop in oil pressure. Apparently the camshaft actuator relies on sufficient oil pressure and if this drops the sensor is tripped.

This is just my experience with the problem, and the filter and oil change is the only thing that I have changed in the vehicle. I have not updated any software or made any other changes. If any knowledgeable mechanics can shed more light on this please do so. My fix was not $2500 for new cam chains, but $90 for a new oil filter and fully synthetic 5/30 oil. One thing I have learnt from this is don't trust the mechanics. I will now be doing my own filter and oil changes and only sending the vehicle to the garage for things I cant do.

All5litres

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE Omega
Apart from the flashing check engine light the cars performance hasn't changed.

My performance didn't change either but my chains were stretched and my car had approx 150 thousand km on the clock. I had the check engine come up on the dash and it was reset by the mechanic but came back a few weeks later too. Sorry man but my money is on the chains....hope I'm wrong though!

S.D.M.F

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport R8
Are you still using the mechanic that services and reads the oil level with a broken dipstick ?
I'd start by finding a new mechanic.

Kittty_Kitza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
Haha, no I'm sure the Mechanic didn't do that, well I would hope not at any rate. My hubby (bless his soul) passed away in January, one of his many illnesses was very shaky hands, he may have broken the end off whilst checking and didn't realise. Thanks for your comment though - may still need to check around if nothing is solved this time round

Kittty_Kitza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
Yeah, I'm starting to believe your right, given the age and the kilometres, the chains may definitely be starting to stretch - thanks for your comment, I hope we are both wrong, and its something not so expensive, or at least not fiddly :(

Kittty_Kitza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
Xplaya: I did read Darryl_L thread this morning, but then couldn't find it again. I would certainly hope my Mechanic (whom I've always used) would check what needs checking in a service, however I don't get a print out of what's been done, I think this is something I will be asking for in the future. When I phoned this morning, was informed the chains are not as expensive now, (under $1,000) so if it is the timing chain then hopefully the cost isn't as expensive as $2500+ that would be a killer! Might just mention this thread and see what is said ;) Thanks for your comment.

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
The chain kit is not the most expensive part, it's the labour (and finding someone who can and wants to do it). Re the mechanic saying a P0008 is "nothing to worry about" says a lot about him knowing nothing about this type of engine.