Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Modern chinese tyres?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Question begs....How are you "blowing" tyres out to begin with? Got punctures and haven't realised it and all of a sudden the tyre is stuffed beyond repair? Is the tread lifting? Sidewalls cracking out or letting go? Love to hear what the explanation of "blowing" out actually is....

2ndly...Careful speaking about Chinese tyres.....A few people have mentioned they like Kumhos.....SHOCK HORROR....some of these are made in China. Unfortunately people hear the word China and associate it with crap, rather than research where some name brands are actually manufactured.

Linglongs.....These have been on the market for about 10 years now....In the early piece, they were crap, with a capital C. I thought they'd last in the Australian market 2 years tops.... These days, they are heavily involved in truck tyre manufacturing and I think they are applying that technology into passenger car tyre manufacturing, hence why they are still surviving in this market place.....

Achillies, I've been hearing some pretty good feedback about how good they actually are, especially for the money

I don't know about others, but when I say Chinese tyres, I mean ones that are from a Chinese company, with Chinese quality and Chinese quality control. Whereas known brands, that have tyres made in China are subject to proper quality control.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
I have a set of "Hong Choy" tires on the G6ET at the moment. They were fantastic for the first 15,000 kms - but now I'm probably going to put Continentals or Pirelli's on.

The Hong Choy's were/are so silent on the road and the grip - even in the wet was amazing. So bloody soft though that they only lasted 15,000kms (at the front) rears only lasted 8,000kms, but cost me under $115 a tire (19" wheels) So I can't complain.

They only other thing I've noticed with cheap Chinese tires is that no one can properly align them. All wheel alignment businesses hate them.

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Got the following on my VE, Dunlop 245,45,18 96Y SP Sport Maxx
Very good all rounder and does not break the bank.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Try for some Federal tyres. They are Bridgestone technology from an ex Bridgestone factory in Taiwan. The RX-8 boys love them and I had a set on my RX-8 - they were very cost efficient and although not up to the latest Bridgestone standard they certainly weren't terrible.

Federal Tyres Australia | Australia's Best Value High Performance Tyres

They have a very aggressive directional tread pattern and don't have circumferential grooves to dispel water. They're also extremely noisy. At 60kmph they howled.

After a fairly scary experience in the wet I decided to try another brand. I was on a flat, straight road and at about 80kmph the wheels started spinning and the rear of the car slowly started to slide out. Granted, the road surface may have played a part, although that wasn't the only time the rear had let go without me expecting it.

The achilles are quite predictable and you know how they're going to act in a wide range of conditions once you get used to them. I haven't used the atr sport 2's but I've heard that they're much better in terms of wet grip. I'll be trying them next time.

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON
Question begs....How are you "blowing" tyres out to begin with? Got punctures and haven't realised it and all of a sudden the tyre is stuffed beyond repair? Is the tread lifting? Sidewalls cracking out or letting go? Love to hear what the explanation of "blowing" out actually is....

I had 2 Potenzas rip when hitting Massive potholes, both on Pennant Hills road. A collegue was near me in traffic and apparently heard metal hit the ground- would explain why wheel alignments don't work! Lost 2x asymmetrical 2s more recently, the first I lost to a turtle in Dungog (Beaurepairs said it couldn't be fixed). The last one blew on the weekend due to a massive pothole in the country- it was coming to the end of it's life so I didn't attempt repairs.

I appreciate all the feedback given. It seems smart money is on a mideange tyre - I'm over shelling out $450+ for these fragile balloons.
PS I run my tyres at 36psi as per the card on my doorframe.

All5litres

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE Omega
I'm running cheap chinese tyres, about 110 bucks each and they perform ok and seem to be lasting well. I haven't had any issues with traction either but I drive like nanna...or maybe the 3.6 doesn't have the horses to break traction lol

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
Day to day, low speed, in the dry, you could run ANY set of tyres sold in Australia and they'd be OK.... because they have to satisfy minimum requirements to be sold here.

But that's not why you buy tyres. It's not for the 90% of the time you are using them and dont give a ****. It's for the 10% you NEED them, and pray to god in thanks when they do the job they are supposed to do in difficult conditions.

Seriously OP.... the couple of hundred dollars between really cheap chinese crap, and half decent tyres that you can rely on isnt worth the savings. It really isnt.

It's a contact patch on the ground not much bigger than the palm of your hand. The VE is a tremendously safe vehicle... but I'd rather that contact patch not put me in a situation where I'm testing crumple zones and insurance policies, and instead keeps me on the straight and narrow safe and sound.

Dont do it. Tyres are not the area in your life to cut back on.

kwaka738

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY09 Berlina Sportwagon
The day you stop two metres short of the car in front because someone else did something stupid is the day you think 'Thank goodness I put good tyres on my car'.

The day you embed your car into the car in front because someone else did something stupid is the day you think 'Why did I put these f...ing! cheap tyres on my car'.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
They only other thing I've noticed with cheap Chinese tires is that no one can properly align them. All wheel alignment businesses hate them.

Load of rubbish.....The ONLY issue I have ever struck and I have struck it with big buck brand name tyres is, getting the car driving straight due to belt pull.....ie, the belts in the tyre aren't perfectly straight under the rubber, allowing the tyre to pull the car one direction or the other.....Alignment is all about making sure the whole tread face contacts the road surface. So it doesn't matter if you've go no name tyres on the car, or a big name tyre on, alignment settings don't change.

IMA, belt pull I haven't struck for years.....