Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

monaro bonnet on vx ss?

Kieran263

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais Wagon 6.0 A6
Well each speed hole is worth 10rwhp, and these are two big speed holes, so I'd say 40ish rwhp.

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
what about if i add a cop chip?

Kieran263

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais Wagon 6.0 A6
The standard cop chip gives you an extra 185rwhp and a redline of 12,500rpm.

zapper-l67

LS# Eat One Today...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
I think you might be getting a bit carried away guys.

The test was done on a 30deg day in summer on a cruse around the great ocean road.
Under bonnet temps on my friends identical commodore without the vents got up to 220 deg Fahrenheit using old stock jaycar Fahrenheit temp probes and logging software.

Both car were moving between 30Kph on the real twisty stuff up to the 100Kph limit. My VX with the Monaro bonnet scoops with the rubber baffles cut out showed a consistent 50 Deg and up to 80 deg Fahrenheit lower. That shouldn't be to hard to believe.

Also when we puled up with the cars at Apollo Bay we opened the bonetts and the non vented car was clinking and clicking as it was cooling down where mine was barely hot at all..
So what I am saying is the vents do work, as for HP difference I couldn't say.
Zapp

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
Ok farenheit, that's a bit different. And from your test, 100kph, it reduced temps. Fair enough, to be expected at those speeds. But what are the performace implications of this? You're going to need more than just a temperture gauge to work out what the lower temps may do (if anything) for the car. That said, I would very keen to see if there are any benefits, might justify my putting them on my car a bit more...

zapper-l67

LS# Eat One Today...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
The only down side I have found to the bonnet vents is the engine gets bloody dirty and every time you wash the car you need to wash under the bonnet as well so it doesn't get away from you and start looking ****..
Zapp

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
Ok farenheit, that's a bit different. And from your test, 100kph, it reduced temps. Fair enough, to be expected at those speeds. But what are the performace implications of this? You're going to need more than just a temperture gauge to work out what the lower temps may do (if anything) for the car. That said, I would very keen to see if there are any benefits, might justify my putting them on my car a bit more...

well farenheit is a massive difference.

i dont really care if the engine runs "cooler" - im more interested on if their are gains to be had. and i honestly think its about the same as the two hole mod.

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
Mhmm, agree. I don't think it's gonna make any real difference as far as gains, be nice if there were some actually testing done regarding power.

Killr6

tutut
Reaction score
Members Ride
BA XR6T
well farenheit is a massive difference.

i dont really care if the engine runs "cooler" - im more interested on if their are gains to be had. and i honestly think its about the same as the two hole mod.

there are no gains, its just a cooler engine, which in the long run the money you spend on a new bonnet gives you a cooler engine then a stock bonnet, and the bonnets are sexy and i looked into them a while back, but they are worth what you pay for them imo.

and did your two cars have different intake systems? or were they the same as well?

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
i seriously dont see the point unless its for looks. and IMO they dont look that great.

if you want gains get an exhaust.