Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

mud flaps

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
so, what do they do, i said i wanted to take them off and mum and dad were like no blah blah anyway its my car and il do what ever i like and also mum said something about in the wet in puddles the map flaps do something to stop the water doin something idk but i was like they have nothing to do in the wet, umm so whats the deal with mud flaps? also are they easy to remove? i just dont like them because they hit the speed bumps and that

GlenM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
I'd say she meant that they deflect water spray from your tyres thus keeping it off the windscreens of following vehicles.

kcpwns

Kicker - Livin' Loud :)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Equipe
They're just held there by a couple of screws.

CAPRILICIOUS WL

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL CAPRICE
When driving in the wet, there job is to deflect the water downwards back to the road with out spraying it upwards on the cars behind you, they may also keep your rear guards clean to a certain extent.

I would personally take em off as they don't suit the body design of the car imo, but it's up to you :)

CORNYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ
I would personally take em off as they don't suit the body design of the car imo, but it's up to you :)

I too would personally take them off
If a car is getting sprayed behind you then it will back off till it's at a distance where is can see, that's only common sense

Antsmash

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Black
I agree, I have never been sprayed by cars because I follow at an appropriate distance if there's that much surface water! And with stones, well usually you'll have to be speeding through temporary works areas etc. to do damage.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
I took em off the stato, they have a nasty habit of getting crap caught behind them and cause rust.

Just beware, It is APPARENTLY a requirement that wagons have them on the rear, at least according to my Mechanic when i went for a pink slip.

this was mine underneath:

IMAG0169.jpg

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
They are also designed to protect the paintwork immediatly behind the wheel arch, by deflecting stones, tar etc away from the bodywork. They do a job, but you still get tar and stone damage, but it's further back from the wheels than it would be if you didn't have the mudflaps.