Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My Brand new car just purchased: 2006 SV6 VE

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
^^^ This. Get the transmission serviced now if you have no proof it’s been done recently (no seriously, do it now). The 5L40E transmission fitted to the early SV6s were the weakest transmission fitted to any of the VZ/VE/VF Commodores.

They do last a decent amount of time (the one in my SV6 lasted about 340,000kms) but once you’re transmission goes kaput on an SV6 the car is only good for the wreckers as..

A) You won’t find a secondhand one because they were only fitted to VZ and early VE SV6s (rare as hens teeth).

B) The rebuild cost is about $6-8k and there’s no guarantee that it will last as others on this forum have paid huge amounts for a rebuild and ended back at square one in a year or twos time.
Would you still recommend servicing the transmission at those Ks considering it may have never been serviced before? There are plenty who say it could cause more damage than good (I.e. slipping after new fluid is changed since the old fluid would have more grip since it has the worn auto clutches)?
I’m not sure

White beast 2023

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Commodore
^^^ This. Get the transmission serviced now if you have no proof it’s been done recently (no seriously, do it now). The 5L40E transmission fitted to the early SV6s were the weakest transmission fitted to any of the VZ/VE/VF Commodores.

They do last a decent amount of time (the one in my SV6 lasted about 340,000kms) but once you’re transmission goes kaput on an SV6 the car is only good for the wreckers as..

A) You won’t find a secondhand one because they were only fitted to VZ and early VE SV6s (rare as hens teeth).

B) The rebuild cost is about $6-8k and there’s no guarantee that it will last as others on this forum have paid huge amounts for a rebuild and ended back at square one in a year or twos time.
It was serviced at 215000 km, and it's not due 224,000 km or something as that's when oil needs to be changed which isn't until August,which I'll get transmission changed at the same time.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Would you still recommend servicing the transmission at those Ks considering it may have never been serviced before? There are plenty who say it could cause more damage than good (I.e. slipping after new fluid is changed since the old fluid would have more grip since it has the worn auto clutches)?
I’m not sure
Getting a standard service (fluid change and filter) shouldn’t be a problem as your only changing out 1/4 to 1/3 of the fluid, so most of the “grit” that helps a high km transmission is still there.

Usually the problems occur when people get a full fluid flush as well and replace all the old fluid with brand new fluid, leaving no “grit” to assist the worn clutch packs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
It was serviced at 215000 km, and it's not due 224,000 km or something as that's when oil needs to be changed which isn't until August,which I'll get transmission changed at the same time.
I know that the auto transmission service interval is something ridiculous like 150,000kms, which is probably too long IMO. I’d probably get the auto transmission serviced every 50,000kms at least to ensure its service life is as long as possible.

The service intervals on modern transmissions are specified to ensure the maximum amount of out of warranty work and transmission sales for the manufacturer (personal opinion). The manufacturer doesn’t give a shite as long as it lasts the warranty period.

Reactions: Lex

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
Getting a standard service (fluid change and filter) shouldn’t be a problem as your only changing out 1/4 to 1/3 of the fluid, so most of the “grit” that helps a high km transmission is still there.

Usually the problems occur when people get a full fluid flush as well and replace all the old fluid with brand new fluid, leaving no “grit” to assist the worn clutch packs.
Cheers mate. So you are essentially saying a basic service (filter and fluid) should be safe on even though never done?
Reason being, I am going to install a transmission cooler on my sv6 soon and I have been debating whether to just top it up (transmission cooler takes approx 350ml new fluid) or just change it.

White beast 2023

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Commodore
6 month Update of My car

Problems fixed
Sensors (Throttle Body Cleaned out)

Car Service
225000/224000
Fixed
Front Brakes
Front Strut

Items Replaced
Right Taillight
Back Window Brake Light

Other changes
New
Bombers Custom Plates

20230901_111313 - Copy.jpg
C

20230901_111327 - Copy.jpg

White beast 2023

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Commodore
Looks like I need to fix more items on my car apparently early this morning I had some small problems and earlier problems from the car service

Problems are as follows

Check oil warning lights coming up up on dash which needs to be replaced with oil pressure unit replacement.

Front steering with alignment needs to be fixed.

Engine mounts

I should be able to fix everything listed,but very frustrating that's happening now before Christmas oh well , the joys of driving cars.

Got quotes from ultra tune for some these items.

Front steering $165 but need get a quote for front wheel alignment

Oil pressure unit replacement
$280

Engine mounts
$500 +

The first two I can get done in the next 2 weeks but the engine mounts I'm going have to save for.

Thanks

White beast 2023

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Commodore
as Tommorrow i will be finally Getting 2 out 3 items fixed on mY car.

Question The Oil Pressure Unit is playing Up right now which i willl be be getting fixed tomorrow, the CHECK ENGINE warning light just came on the dash this morning is that connected too Oil Pressure unit playing up?

and also if is connected will the car be ok , As I need to work tomorrow morning and I don't want my car stalling or something really bad happening to the car before I hand it in to get it fixed as of tomorrow morning after work.

Thank You

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
Do you mean the oil pressure sender, which comes up as a check engine light? Or are you talking about the oil light being illuminated? If the engine light is showing due to the pressure sender fault, I still drove my sv6 when that fault happened for around a month and nothing happened. However, it had no stability control (traction control (ESP OFF), so drive at your own peril.