Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My Custom SSV Grille.....opinions??

waynebatt

Only milk should be 2L
Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm Sportwagon
Hey guys,

Firstly i wanna start of by saying that this grille is an idea i got from someone else on the forum. So credit must go to them. I forget thier name but they will know who they are.....

So ive been wanting to custimise The grille on my 2011 SSV Ute but refuse to put a chev grille on there, even though i do think they look good. And with very limited options out there i decided to go with the custom mod i saw on the forum here a while back....

Finally had a couple of days off over this weekend and decided to go ahead and give it a shot. Was nervous about it as i didnt have a back up grille in case i stuffed this one up, but i think it came out ok....

Anyone wanting to do it themselves will need:

*Philips head screwdriver
*Sheet of grille Mesh from supercheap Auto ($24)
*Hack saw blade ($3)
*Sandpaper (some coarse grit, and some fine grit)
*Selleys Areldite ($15)
*Kebab Skewer to spread the araldite ( lots of other things will work, but that is what i used)
*A couple of small Quick-Grip Clamps
*Small side cutters
*Metal File
*can of black paint (Black was my personal Choice but you could spray whatever colour you want)
*And finally a bit of patience and a couple of hours of your time

So here is the steps taken to get the job done. PM me if u want some more detailed info....

1. Remove current holden grille from the car

2. Use hacksaw blade to cut out all the honeycomb mesh, cut around the inside surface of the boarder that go's around the whole grille and forms the shape of the grille

3. Tidy up all the burring and what not around the boarder caused when using the hack saw blade. Sand with some coarse grit paper then clean up with some fine grit paper (i used 400grit)

4. Use the two clamps (use more if u like) to hold the new mesh down onto the boarder of the grille. Leave extra mesh around the outside which you will trim off later. You will need to have the grille lying in its back with the surface of the grille facing up so as the areldite doesnt run and cause a mess. BE SURE NOT TO LET THE GRILLE FLEX OUT OF SHAPE! its important to try and keep the boarder of the grille in its original shape. if you areldite the new mesh on with the grille boarder out of shape then it wont fit back into position as nicely and you will have gaps around the grille where it meets with the front bumper.

5. With the grille on its back and the new mesh in position, mix up a batch of areldite and begin to apply it around the boarder of the grill so as it binds the grille boarder and the new mesh together. I used a kebab skewer which i would scoop up some areldite with and then run it along the mesh while twisting the skewer around so as to apply the areldite in a nice straight line without leaving large unever blobs everywhere. The areldite go's off pretty quick, so might be best to do a couple of batches and do it a bit at a time. Then once finished, allow at least an hour or so for the areldite to go nice and hard and bind with the mesh nice and strong.

6. once the areldite has gone off properly, use the small set of side cutters and go around and snip off the mesh neatly around the boarder of the grille.

7. Use a file to clean up the edges of the mesh so as to prevent and protruding bits of mesh from scratching the paintwork on your bumper as you re-install the grille.

8. Once all cleaned up, give the whole grille a couple of light coats of paint so that everything is all a consitant colour. The raw edges of the mesh and also the areldite will not be the same colour as the mesh itself so the coat of paint it basically to give it all the same colour appearance. This can be done whatever colour you want.

9. And then finally, add any badges or whatever to give the nice finishing touch to your new grille. I went with the SSV badge as i really like the look of it.

So here's some pics of how it all turned out. Hope you all enjoy, And you're more than welcome to CONSTRUCTIVELY crticise and suggest any possible ways to make it even better.......Unfortunately im having alot of trouble with the internet right now and was unable to put up a couple of other photos, most important of which are the one of the step where i areldite the mesh on, and also the final finished product with the SSV badge applied. I will try and get them up tomorrow when hopefully the internet it working better haha. Finished product with the badge looks awesome. PM me if u want me to MMS or email it to you, as i know that will work.

Cheers

photo(7).jpgphoto(8).jpgphoto(9).jpgphoto(11).jpg

SV666

The Commodore Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS EXEC SII
Doesn't look bad at all! I would like to see a head on view but further out as in capture the whole front end of the car not as a close up view. I think there was someone who had something similar to this a while ago I stumbled across on he had his ssv logo offset to one side which i liked. i noticed in the last photo you haven't down the lower grill will that be next on the job list?

Gravity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY11 SSV Wagon
Look forward to seeing more images. You could try putting them on an image hosting website like imgur.com, that might be easier.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
Looks like ricer mesh seen in front bars of Lancers. Sorry but I vote no.

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
I vote yes she looks good, but you should give it a cote with something over the top to stop the paint from chipping off (this happened to mine).

Evolution of mine so far
img0809t.jpg

35638869.jpg

img1275.png

HUX 90

POSION VE SS UTE
Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SS UTE
I think it needs some sort of surround or lip to go around the grill in my opinion. But I still think looks good, great work.