Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MY17 Specs and Release Date

VFII•17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SS-V Redline Sedan LMF
No way I would spend $ on the Holden accessory because IMO the under bonnet experience is really lack lustre these days. There's not much that gives an indication of V8 at all with that boring (IMO) plastic cover. The 5 litre Aussie V8 I had in my Clubsport and Statesman looked neat with real metal induction tubing and separate valve covers for each bank. Now that's what a V8 should look like!View attachment 191170

I know someone who works at Holden and he states that the reason why they put on these engine covers is because when people fill in their customer surveys many had stated that they wanted the engine to look "neat", so they put the covers as per their request. I filled in my customer survey after I bought my VR Berlina stating that there were no drink holders - not one! So in the VT they added 6 drink holders, to be sure...

Anyone have any pics of Commodore engines - with and without engine covers? Or should this be another thread?

LastV8?

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VF2 Redline
So the no brainer is LMF? ;) I loved SuperCoach's JG with all the black trimmings (respect) and I always loved green in a Commodore/Kingswood/Torana/Monaro. My friend had a Kermit green Kingswood that I loved, a similar colour to the SG.

Again, I state that colour is subjective and everyone has a choice and preference to the colour they choose and like, whether it be on the road or a car they own. LMF was not the my first preference, but it is bold and SG is bolder. I fell in love with the first SOAG I saw in a showroom, until the dealer quoted me a ridiculous price. Thank you to him, I decided to change my colour and purchase an LMF elsewhere literally the next day, and much cheaper! When I first flicking through the colours to a friend of mine, she first looked at the LMF and said "that's hideous" - I hadn't told her I had already purchased it. A few weeks later I told her I purchased a car, show a sample picture of LMF and then said "love it!"
Well, since you have reminded me again that everyone has a choice...the no brainer is Spitfire Green (for me) AND I'm not going to make any comments about your friend's change of mind because, as you said, it's your decision so it matters not.

LastV8?

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VF2 Redline
I know someone who works at Holden and he states that the reason why they put on these engine covers is because when people fill in their customer surveys many had stated that they wanted the engine to look "neat", so they put the covers as per their request. I filled in my customer survey after I bought my VR Berlina stating that there were no drink holders - not one! So in the VT they added 6 drink holders, to be sure...

Anyone have any pics of Commodore engines - with and without engine covers? Or should this be another thread?
Well the LS3 crate engine is a bit of an ugly duckling so I guess they went cheap
LS3.JPG

VFII•17

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well, since you have reminded me again that everyone has a choice...the no brainer is Spitfire Green (for me) AND I'm not going to make any comments about your friend's change of mind because, as you said, it's your decision so it matters not.

Yes, I know.. I didn't mean to repeat myself to you (apologies), as we have both picked bold colours and we like these colours ans we don't car what anyone else thinks. I have only seen 1x LMF in a showroom and none on the road, and no SG in showroom nor on the road, yet. So that's a good thing.

Have you posted any pics of yours yet? Have you got it yet? I've lost track of whose got what and when.

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
Yes, I know.. I didn't mean to repeat myself to you (apologies), as we have both picked bold colours and we like these colours ans we don't car what anyone else thinks. I have only seen 1x LMF in a showroom and none on the road, and no SG in showroom nor on the road, yet. So that's a good thing.

I haven't seen a SG or LMF car on the road yet either. I feel like I have the only LMF Redline on the road in Melbourne at the moment, which as you say is good because the less that are sold, the more exclusive mine is.
Ralph D'Silva Holden in Preston has a LMF Redline in their showroom which has been there easily over a month. Every time I drive past it is still there.
I checked their website and its an auto with a black roof and they want a touch under $65k for it.

LastV8?

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VF2 Redline

Have you posted any pics of yours yet? Have you got it yet? I've lost track of whose got what and when.
No worries mate - page 180 and 182 and the bride with the box on her head. Enjoy your wait, there are plenty of good LMF photos here for you to see in between, especially Zero's

Trofius

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline sportwagon
Set focus you reckon or set focus you know? Even with a set focus the amount of light or lack of light can trigger the focus to be blurry, or out of focus. They may be in the same spot but doesn't mean every car will have a great shot every time. So the fun of cameras and photography.

303627_T3_zpsjpws7yha.jpg

Monday 16th January 7:47 am
Shot info....
size 6.4mb
dimensions 5184 x 3456
iso = 100
shot 3/5 sec. f/11 50mm
device Canon EOS 700D

303627_C3_zpstwjaaurc.jpg

, Monday 16th January 11:13am....3 and a half hours to fit the entire front end, motor, suspension, panels...wow..
size 7.7mb
dimensions 5184 x 3456
**** 1/8 sec f 3.5 18mm
iso 100
device canon EOS 700D

What are details of your pics, you will be able to compare and see if they are set settings or if the camera is on full auto.

VFII•17

Reaction score
Members Ride
I haven't seen a SG or LMF car on the road yet either. I feel like I have the only LMF Redline on the road in Melbourne at the moment, which as you say is good because the less that are sold, the more exclusive mine is.
Ralph D'Silva Holden in Preston has a LMF Redline in their showroom which has been there easily over a month. Every time I drive past it is still there.
I checked their website and its an auto with a black roof and they want a touch under $65k for it.

Well, when I get mine at the end of May (roughly) I will be the second person that you know whose got an LMF on the road in Melbourne. You may not see me often as I am in SE suburbs, but when you do see me you will know, as I will have distinct number plates.

I did notice about a week ago that when you go to the Holden website and you click on the Commodores, only the SS and SSV Redline have no pricing, but "Contact your local Holden dealer for vehicle pricing" (just checked again now) so the dealer can quote any pricing they so desire.

I also noticed that they had a used MY16 SSV Redline in Nitrate Silver for $61888 (I emailed my wife about this Feb 23rd), which increased to $62888 about a few weeks later, now it's down to $57990. I just did a Google search and saw a street view of the cars at Ralph D'Silva, and the same cars have been there since Aug 2016! :p

Last edited:

VFII•17

Reaction score
Members Ride
303627_T3_zpsjpws7yha.jpg

Monday 16th January 7:47 am
Shot info....
size 6.4mb
dimensions 5184 x 3456
iso = 100
shot 3/5 sec. f/11 50mm
device Canon EOS 700D

303627_C3_zpstwjaaurc.jpg

, Monday 16th January 11:13am....3 and a half hours to fit the entire front end, motor, suspension, panels...wow..
size 7.7mb
dimensions 5184 x 3456
**** 1/8 sec f 3.5 18mm
iso 100
device canon EOS 700D

What are details of your pics, you will be able to compare and see if they are set settings or if the camera is on full auto.

OK, I haven't got my car yet, so I can't compare. Lets compare the photos anyway:
- Both have the same dimensions 5184 x 3456
- Both have an ISO 100 (that's too low for indoors, but that's just the standard ISO)
- Both are a Canon EOS 700D camera (low end consumer DSLR camera)
- The 50mm and 18mm is how wide the shot would be, so the bottom shot is a wider angled shot
- The f11 and the f3.5 is the aperture - the f11 is a small aperture which means there was plenty of light (small aperature to allow less light) with a large depth of field (ie: so your car in the top shot is all in focus, even though the white car in front is out of focus, or out of the depth of field), and the f3.5 is a large aperture which means there was low light (large aperture to allow more light) with a small depth of field (ie: so your car in the bottom shot is less in focus from front to rear, and all other cars behind will be blurry)
- The 3/5 sec and 1/8 sec is the shutter speed - the higher the number the quicker the shot and the less blurry it would be - so 1/250th is a fast shutter speed (and there are faster)

So at a guess it would be set on an automatic setting, not a fixed focus, to allow the right amount of light for the shot. If the car is moving ever so slightly on the bottom shot then it be more blurry at a slow shutter speed of 1/8 sec. The minimum should be 1 / ISO or 1/100 in the photos you have. As an extreme example if the shutter speed is 1/2 sec the shutter would be open longer, so if the car moves whilst it is open, then it would be more blurry than what it is in the pic, even if the car was in focus to begin with. The camera is a 700D (consumer level), then it steps up to a 70D (semi-amateur level), a 7D (amateur level), a 5D (professional amateur level; this is what I have), and a 1D (full professional level) - and a couple of hundred models in between. I'm no professional, trust me.

I hope this explains it to all - apologies for the long explanation. Ask zero to post what he has to compare.

Trofius

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline sportwagon
OK, I haven't got my car yet, so I can't compare. Lets compare the photos anyway:
- Both have the same dimensions 5184 x 3456
- Both have an ISO 100 (that's too low for indoors, but that's just the standard ISO)
- Both are a Canon EOS 700D camera (low end consumer DSLR camera)
- The 50mm and 18mm is how wide the shot would be, so the bottom shot is a wider angled shot
- The f11 and the f3.5 is the aperture - the f11 is a small aperture which means there was plenty of light (small aperature to allow less light) with a large depth of field (ie: so your car in the top shot is all in focus, even though the white car in front is out of focus, or out of the depth of field), and the f3.5 is a large aperture which means there was low light (large aperture to allow more light) with a small depth of field (ie: so your car in the bottom shot is less in focus from front to rear, and all other cars behind will be blurry)
- The 3/5 sec and 1/8 sec is the shutter speed - the higher the number the quicker the shot and the less blurry it would be - so 1/250th is a fast shutter speed (and there are faster)

So at a guess it would be set on an automatic setting, not a fixed focus, to allow the right amount of light for the shot. If the car is moving ever so slightly on the bottom shot then it be more blurry at a slow shutter speed of 1/8 sec. The minimum should be 1 / ISO or 1/100 in the photos you have. As an extreme example if the shutter speed is 1/2 sec the shutter would be open longer, so if the car moves whilst it is open, then it would be more blurry than what it is in the pic, even if the car was in focus to begin with. The camera is a 700D (consumer level), then it steps up to a 70D (semi-amateur level), a 7D (amateur level), a 5D (professional amateur level; this is what I have), and a 1D (full professional level) - and a couple of hundred models in between. I'm no professional, trust me.

I hope this explains it to all - apologies for the long explanation. Ask zero to post what he has to compare.
Thanks for the info, I had a pretty good idea on what it all ment, but you explained it nicely. It can be quite frustrating adjusted settings , typically I use my entry level nikon for taking pics of my fish, lowish light, fast subjects, multiple reflective surfaces, Inc the subject,.....hundreds of pics later I might get a good one....photography can be tricky and frustration. For some reason I though I was replying to zero, which is why I suggested the comparison....not many have the pics yet.