Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Names Compulsory on the 2016 Census

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
"if you provide misleading information you could be fined $1800".

Well then if they know that some are giving false information then why do they need to know what's what.
Sounds like they already know too much.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Well then if they know that some are giving false information then why do they need to know what's what.
Sounds like they already know too much.

Big Brother, all up in our business.

Why collect names other than to cross reference with other departments?

I have nothing to hide, but I do like privacy to a degree.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Without having even looked at the on-line census forms, I can imagine that omitting an answer won't work because the program won't advance to the next question/page if a question remains unanswered. Which makes it very difficult to opt out of questions you deem sensitive or invasive. At least with a manual form, you can debate the matter with the census collector and state that you refuse to answer certain questions because you have issues with them.

While some here have stated they don't have issues with the census being invasive, I have to wonder just why they need to have names. They haven't needed them for previous census' and the information they required was provided to their satisfaction at the time. So why the change now? I am suspicious about that aspect.

Where's my tin foil hat?

Skydrol - got a spare you can lend me?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
There may be a way around text box answers but we'll see next week

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
For the census here in NZ we have always had to supply our names. They tell us that the info isn't shared and only used for statistical purposes but hey, do you trust the government?

At the end of the day they will already have all the data that you supply on the census form however it will be held by various institutions and not all in one location. The idea of the census (so they tell us) is to get a snap shot of the entire population at a particular given time which would provide most accurate picture for planning purposes etc Up to you whether or not you believe that.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
At this point I don't even think their system will cope.

People have been calling for days now and been getting an automated "our system is busy please try later" when trying to order a paper form so I cant image millions of people attempting to use their website at once is going to end well.....

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
At this point I don't even think their system will cope.

People have been calling for days now and been getting an automated "our system is busy please try later" when trying to order a paper form so I cant image millions of people attempting to use their website at once is going to end well.....

I agree that the online process will likely cack itself despite their claims that it can handle X hundred responses per second.

However, placing my tin foil hat on, I also expect that the automated response on the phone system is designed to make it all too hard to request a paper form so people will be channeled to the online form. Much like when trying to deal with Centrelink on the phone as opposed to via MyGov.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
A Census official knocked on our door and left the paper form on the front porch when she asked my wife not to open the door as she didn't want our dog to get her. (LOL!!!) So we have a paper form with our unique number on it.

But I fully agree... The website isn't going to cope.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
I will be fishing in international waters that night. Bugger.

Don't complain when schools, hospitals and public works miss you area, after all there is no one living in that area so why bother.

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
Website will break for sure. It will be down for hours. However it doesn't have to completed until some time in September. And apparently if you have your code already, you can just login and do it now? I plan on doing it this weekend before the rush.

Status
Not open for further replies.