Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need help with wiring VR with VS body loom

kyekye

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore / VS SII Calais hybrid
Okay ill give a detailed explanation of what's been done and what i'm trying to do and what i need help with / Errors i have

I have a VR Executive commodore, it was an auto but i have done a full manual conversion (Taken all the ecu and engine looms etc from my old write off factory manual)

Next i brought a VS SII calais that is also a write off,

I have taken all the body looms, dash, heater box, everything from the calais and done a transplant into the vr for the calais upgrades etc,
So far everything is working Except the car wont even try to crank, i have done a lot of looking and reading and cant find information on it as everyone is just like "No, you're not allowed to put the buick into a vs, etc etc"

from wiring diagrams i have looked at it shows that the body loom to ecu plug (9 pin Under dash plug) has 2 different wires between vr/vs

In the vr its the 12v Crank Signal wire
in the vs it is the brake fail light wire

even when i try to bridge the starter relay there is no crank attempt,
Everything else works, the fuel pump primes, security disables, power windows, door locks, all work

so far the only thing i haven't checked is the Warning light check relay (as it has a new 5 pin relay in there and should be good) and slip rings
i was hoping someone might have some info on a wire i have to move/change to get it to try and crank

Yes the car ran fine and started without fail before the transplant

TIA i would like to get her back on the road soon!

kyekye

Reaction score
Members Ride
Forgot to mention, The Vr is a v6 and the vs SII body loom is from a v6

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Did you notice how totally different the engine & body loom for a vs to vr really are?

If you have managed to repin & changed wiring etc to work what fault codes are showing?

If you're using vr eng/trans with vr ecu/loom into what is basically vs calais shell then you'll need to make a sub loom so it all matches & works.

Also if using vr ecu with vs calais bcm have you had vats disabled?

kyekye

Reaction score
Members Ride
the calais loom has definitely thrown me for a bit of a loop especially with the additions (like the auto ac)

i have made an extension loom for the engine to firewall and matched the pins accordingly,

i havent had vats disabled yet however the main issue im facing is, while trying to bridge the starter relay im not getting anything to the starter at all she wont even try and crank, im wondering if i missed a wire somewhere,

when i hit the key i can hear the relays switching for efi etc but the brake fail light pops up everytime i hit the key

i remember reading some pins need to be changed to work with the vs loom but i cant for the life of me find that post

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Get vats disabled...fairly sure you'll get fault code 31 theft deterrent signal missing or something like that.

kills the party fuel/spark cut & think cranking also....vats off in memcal will still need matching keyhead to vs bcm.

Some things between vr & vs dont match at all....even some plugs match but when check wires they'll need repinning.

There is a reason why we say get same model donor car or parts as often people get caught out by changes thinking all the models are the same when they really are not vs totally different to vr which has some differences to vn/p.

kyekye

Reaction score
Members Ride
im wondering if i keep the vs loom and get a vr hi bcm if it will fix the vats issue, as im trying to avoid having vats removed if possible in one way or another haha,

from what i have found the pins and plugs seem the same vr to vs its just the vats signal as far as i know is different between the 2

i appreciate the help regardless, and will keep working away at the little things to see if i can get something viable,

i would have prefered a vr calais for the loom transplant but havent been able to find a "complete" wreck (minus motor and box not worried about them)

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
No way around it other than disabling vats as v8 memcal it doesn't match keyhead/bcm...even if vr bcm still wouldn't work not from same car.

Security still works as need bcm/keyhead.

Draimond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
I thought you could run whatever ECU you want and the VS or VR BCM would still work independently (assuming correct wiring)

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I thought you could run whatever ECU you want and the VS or VR BCM would still work independently (assuming correct wiring)

Too much mix & matching but in this case basically has to have vats off in vr ecu to work with vs calais bcm/keyhead assuming all wiring is done corrrectly.

One of main reasons we say repeatedly use same model donor parts as vs has major differences to vr...all the models have differences but people think same bodyshape blah blah blah...then headaches lol.

How the fark people think vt/vz is simple plug n play/bolts straight in is funny as hell

kyekye

Reaction score
Members Ride
Okay!

i have an update, got a new vr hi bcm, car is running! now i have a couple gremlins to sort, the biggest issue, drivers auto down and wipers, i know i need to change some bcm pins for this but im not sure which pins,

anyone got a pinout diagram for the vr hi bcm, i already have the vs one i just need the vr one so i can repin accordingly!