Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need suggestions on brake rotor replacement

vaertigo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYIISS6m
Hey

Since noticing a massive wobble in wheel when braking from speed, and having been told by Holden post service that the brake discs need machining, ive decided to go for totally new rotors.

Looking into steel drilled, just wondering if anyone has experience withthe best to suit a Vy SS? Currently looking at dba slotted/drilled, anyone got any personal exp with 'em?

hinterland

commyvt
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Members Ride
vt sed turbo
hi
myself would just go with the slotted dba as there fine and dont have the cracking around the holes prob that ive herd several times about the drilled ones.

OZ38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 T5 SDN & VY V6 M35 UTE
If you have 17" mags or larger. Harrop do a large disc replacement for $1500.
Gives you a 343mm front disc and a 315mm rear disc. Uses your own calipers onto some adapter spacers brackets (supplied). You can also option up with slotted or drilled or both and add braided lines as well. the straight disc with adapter brackets are the $1500, then extra for the added options.

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
I paid $103 plus $20 postage for a pair of new and slotted rotors through ebay. They were brand new stock, removed for upgrade purposes (for HSV I think). They were then slotted and put on Ebay.

I have been happy with them, although they make a slight whirring sound under hard braking due to the slots.

Not sure if any more are available but the bloke's name was Tony Edwards and his email was [email protected]. He is located in Mooroolbark, Victoria. I bought them 2 years ago.

vaertigo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYIISS6m
1500.... hrm bit pricy for what im looking into. All im wanting are some replacements for the fronts and possible back at some stage. most i wanna spend is 120 or so for each.

http://www.dba.com.au/rotors_slotted.asp

Considering these or the Gold. Gonna do a ring around in the morning to see what prices they are going for. On a similar topic, i was suggested to speak to Hightek brakes in Victoria, anyone had dealings with them?

HSVKEV260R8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY1 HSV Clubsport R8 M6
vaertigo said:
1500.... hrm bit pricy for what im looking into. All im wanting are some replacements for the fronts and possible back at some stage. most i wanna spend is 120 or so for each.

http://www.dba.com.au/rotors_slotted.asp

Considering these or the Gold. Gonna do a ring around in the morning to see what prices they are going for. On a similar topic, i was suggested to speak to Hightek brakes in Victoria, anyone had dealings with them?
It's good you are looking at DBA as they generally are both the cheapest and also of good quality. I have always got good prices in Melbourne from either Race Brakes in North Melbourne or Bridge Brake and Clutch in Bulleen. Hope this helps.

vy_acclaim

Reaction score
Members Ride
HBD VYII Acclaim
DIY Replacement

There is a great article on DIY Replacement of Disk Callipers, brakes, etc; within the current issue of Street Machine. It has a picture of a black tricked SS Ute on the cover. I would scan the article and post it, but that would probably be a breach of copyright or something...

maxy0987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
on a side note, those doors on the ute are nuts, wonder how much they'd set you back...

Waabs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS A4
I've just picked up a set of DBA slotted and grooved (not cross drilled) front rotors and Bendix Advance pads. We'll have to see how they go...

Hgprem01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Commodore
Be carefull the type of pad and rotor combination you put on. Too hard a bad and they will warp the disc again very quickly. Try to run softer pads if you can, and the softer pads can help take out some of the run out in the disc.