Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need your opinion/assessment on possible project I'm thinking about ...

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Dunno.
I like the idea of a V8, 4x4, Commodore.
*Lift kit
*Snorkel
*Bull bar

Go speak to an engineer in your state and see what is required...

To find one, google is your friend.

Same applies if you don't want it engineered....Google a heap of panel beaters or coach builders

Be prepared for them to laugh at your idea too

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
not on an 80's Hilux chassie ,V8 Hilux most dangerous vehical on the road. I got the idea in my head a while ago that Id buy an old hilux until i saw what people think whats left of them are worth no thanks . I doubt any engineer will let you use an 80's Hilux chassie for a v8 .

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Dunno.
I like the idea of a V8, 4x4, Commodore.
*Lift kit
*Snorkel
*Bull bar
Holden did make the Adventra, which can be had with an LS1 V8 and AWD, and they're quite capable with some mods...

There's a YouTube channel which takes these cars off-road called "All Terrain Action," and they also have an account on this forum too...

xDJOHx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX/VZ
Holden did make the Adventra, which can be had with an LS1 V8 and AWD, and they're quite capable with some mods...

There's a YouTube channel which takes these cars off-road called "All Terrain Action," and they also have an account on this forum too...
Yeah, fair nuff.

I'm dealing with family inheritance. Don't wanna just get rid of Dads cars. So I've got access to a Commodore VX, 80's Hilux and a V8 308 block.

Just dropped in to the local smash repair & he said best to just chuck the V8 in the Hilux. Told me a Commodore shell won't fit on a Hilux chassis.

Boozer: yeah, fair nuff, pretty much what I kinda thought.
But if I'm gonna go that far, gettin a engineer involved, probably need to reinforce/recondition/fabricate the chassis. Not like I'm gonna try & stick it together with super glue/zip-ties/duct tape. I'd have to get the Hilux roadworthy first ...

Just working out what's possible, what's not ...

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Was a very common swap, the V8 into a Hilux way back in the 90's.....Can't say I ever heard or saw one that had any structural issues and I did see them being used as proper 4X4's...Not shopping trolleys either....

Remember seeing a V8 Hilux being used as a push car at speedway back in the 90's...The owner had it engineered with the 8 and drove it as his daily as well...Was in Bundaberg QLD

They also did V8 swaps into Landcruisers back in the 90's as well.....

The main thing is to change the diff gearing.....They'd be revving their tits off at 60 KPH with stock gearing and top out at 90 to 100 KPH...

The VX, I'd use it as a cruiser.....

xDJOHx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX/VZ
OK, just for perspective.

My first car was a Toyota Lexcen.
Which is almost identical to a VR/VS.
So upon taking ownership, my main priority, was going to the wrecker and replacing all the quarter panels, boot/bonnet lids, rear vision mirrors etc
Cuz I grew up travelling in Commodores.

So, the idea of taking the shell of a VX & chucking on the chassis of a Hilux, with a VK 308 V8 : makes sense to me ...

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
So, the idea of taking the shell of a VX & chucking on the chassis of a Hilux, with a VK 308 V8 : makes sense to me ...
Go & talk to a engineer, if you've got your heart set on it, & very deep pockets?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The sad bit to this is, I can see you starting it and loosing interest due to it becoming an absolute pain in the rectum trying to get it past engineering, or to scrape the cash up to get anywhere, therefore destroying the very car that seems to be held closest to your heart...That being the VX.

The best advise is, forget the Commodore onto Hilux chassis swap....It will be a nightmare on so many fronts...

Aim for the V8 Hilux swap and enjoy the VX for what it is

xDJOHx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX/VZ
Yeah mate, exactly.
All good

Commodore/Hilux: was only ever a hypothetical question mark.