Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Never use engine cleaner

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
hey thought i should point out to people that at my work, someone bought in a vz v6 wagon (it was driven in, then towed away) and what the customer did was put engine cleaner in it, and bam, complete write off of the engine at least. having said that, the customer did not service his car regularly, and decided to leave the engine cleaner in his car longer than what the label says.what happened is that it circulated all the sludge around his engine and blocked everything inside it, and no doubt, prob ate away at his seals. thought id let people know before throwing engine cleaner in your vz v6, or if you do, only leave it in your car for 1 minute max, then drain it all out

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
Or drain the oil and fill it with warm soapy water and drive around the block a few times

Edit: Dont do that

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
Or drain the oil and fill it with warm soapy water and drive around the block a few times

derr

... it doesnt need to be warm, it'll warm up as you drive ;P LMFAO

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
Can't say I have ever put motor cleane in.. I find if you get it or at least change the oil regular..

spirto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Caprice II
Engine cleaner is the best way to cause problems. Service the car reqularly and you won't need to, but what most people fail to do is change the oil filter, it's there to pick up all the gunk the engine produces, and all engine cleaners will loosen up all the **** in the sump, and throw it around the inside of the engine. If you bought a car that the oil gets dirty within a week of daily driving, best thing to get done is have the oil sump removed, then cleaned, the oil pick up cleaned, and a quick wipe of the crank shaft area, but with most new cars this can be costly as the engine has to be raised to remove.... defineatly worth it if your changing to a lower km' engine.

Last edited:

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
hahaha some people have no idea

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Regular oil changes, as in 7,000 k's and of course new filter each change= clean engine.....

VzVzVz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S ute
I filled mine with brake cleaner and gave it a really hard run until i couldnt hear it running anymore, and for some reason, it wont start now.