Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Replacement Keys

tezza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
I bought Replacement Key Buttons! The trouble with them is that after a while they keep coming out when you push the buttons. I asked the question to the Ebay seller on the replacement moulded shells and he replied that all the buttons are a 1 piece rubber mould inside the key shell like the original. I just ordered 2 Key moulds of ebay for $12 (Includes postage)
Eagers in Brisbane want $88 for a new key, includes programming.

I got some replacement buttons for my set and they have stayed put in their place for the past 6 months. Make sure you get all of the old rubber out for the new key buttons to sit in correctly.

hd007124

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb
Vh vc vb vk vl original blank key contact if keen

WHCapriceHBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX
I bought 2 new plastic key shells for $11 on Ebay. They came with 2 blank key shanks too.

6 sets of black rubber buttons for $2.

Cost $15 to have the blank key shanks cut.

Then simply open up your old key by wedging and levering the plastic case apart. Pull out your electronics. Insert it into the new shell. Pop in the new rubber buttons. Pop in the newly cut key shank. Screw it together. Done. (I did this at my desk at work in 30 minutes, it was that easy.)

Total cost $28 and no programming or any of that rubbish needed. Brand new key x2.

Mine have been great now for the past 12 months. Cheapest easiest thing to do to these cars. If you're programming keys or paying over $30 you're making it too hard for yourself...

ChocolateCharlie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Executive
$350 is a joke but we're not laughing. I did this a few years back so relying on fading memory for the finer details. Pretty sure I got a blank off eBay for pretty cheap, around $30 (local). Then, this bit I remember, I rang around a few key cutters and found a Mr Minit that could programme and cut my new key. He charged about $70 or so and it took him no time at all. The new cut took a bit of working in and out of the door lock to bed it in and works great., still going.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
$90-$110 is about the price for a new key supplied, cut and programmed from most locksmiths.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
I was just quoted $350 for a new key, coded... and I have to take the car to them, this has to be a joke?

$90-$110 is about the price for a new key supplied, cut and programmed from most locksmiths.

I'll be finding out what the current joke around here is soon. Lost my key over xmas and thru goodwill of my bro am now using my spare. Would be a good idea for me to get a new 'spare'.
Seems there's only one bloke in the whole region of this part of nowhere who keeps getting named and he's two towns away. I'm in no rush to get stripped but I'm due in his direction for other reasons in a couple of weeks so I'll start the "how much "? game then.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
FYI Contacted nearest locksmith and for supply, cut and program for VX it's $130 which in these parts is 'quite reasonable'. IE there's no enormous 'Regional Excess' being added.

Now I just have to get two towns away at the same time as they're not being 'mobile' or arrange to find them only one town away sometime.