Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

new system

Simonn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx S pack m5
gday. Right now iv only got a headunit but would like to update the rest of my system. Any of you car audio enthusiests feels free to yell out if you have any idea or whatever.
ok im thinking of putting in a front pair of amped splits I think im just going to leave the rear speakers stock read they dont do much anyway and ill be leaving the rear unamped.
Now I also want a subwoofer for the boot with some sort of amp.
now my question is What sort of amp would you recommend for the splits and sub not nessaserally intrested in the watts atm but how should I amp it all. Would it be better to run 2 seperate 2ch amps or maybe just a 4ch to do it all? Also my headunit only has one set of rca outs so if I decide to run 2 amps how do I go about doing this?
your help is much appreciated.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Ok you want front splits and a sub, nice easy setup. Firstly turf the factory rear door speakers, just unplug them or something, will only provide bad sound compared to any decent front splits, why ruin good sound?

Ok a nice 2-channel amp for the front splits, any decent brand will do, Pioneer, Alpine, Cadence, Kicker, etc etc, depends on how much you want to spend. You are probably wanting to run a mono amp for the subwoofer, monos are the best amp, especially something with a subsonic filter. Again comes down to budget, same with sub.

As for the single RCA output, you can either have a RCA splitter in your boot, pretty self explainitory name, makes one RCA to two RCAs. Or if your 2-channel amp comes with a preRCA output you can plug the RCA into the input of the amp and plug a RCA cable from the output to the mono amp.

You will also need a multi-amp wiring kit.

All of this comes down to your budget and what you are after. So tell us how much you want to spend in total (hardware and installation) and what sort of music you listen too (mainly for sub).

Nackerz

Rollin
Reaction score
Members Ride
2 n/a vl's 1 twin turbo vl vn ss vy sv8
me and the misses have got a $800 dollar setup and goes good its all fusion except one amp already had

Fusion head unit cd player ipod and radio
Fusion 6by9's x2
Fusion 6an1/2 x2
Fusion 12" sub with built in amp
Not sure what brand other amp is (4 channel)

Ok i have the two fronts running of the head unit
2 6by9's running of the 4 channel amp got it running on 2 channel tho
Sub running off built in amp that it has

It sounds good i will get pics

Simonn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx S pack m5
ok my budget is about $500 hardware only I wil install it myself. I mainly listen to house/club music.

sycvs

commo for life
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive
same music as me i have a 2008 sony head unit a two channel amp for my two 12" subs and two 6-9" clarions stock fronts in vs wagon havent amped any speakers yet but sounds nice and clear amp cost me 100 6-9 second hand 30 subs cheapo from repco 70 each pro audio does the job and home made amp wire kit except battry lead 500 will get you a decent set up
what you after loud or semi loud but real clear nice sound

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Ok well no way in hell you going to get two amps, speakers, sub and a wiring kit for $500, Your going to need a 4-channel amp and use 2 channels bridged for the sub.

*A set of $150ish splits. Look around and see what you get. I know Pioneer have a set around this mark that are really quite good. You don't want to spend less than this for your main speakers.
*Pioneer GM-6400F is a decent amp and could be had for about $250
*Pioneer TS-W307D4 is a decent sub for about $80-$100, try big stores like WOW or JB as this is a discontinued sub so if you can find one it will be quite cheap. I put mine in a $25 box from WOW and went really well.
*Wiring kit $50-$90, cadence kit is nice at about $90. You can also assemble the kit yourself from Jaycar parts and it will work out quite cheap.

Also try looking on Ebay for second-hand parts, can get some real bargains.

Simonn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx S pack m5
thanks for that. If I do run a 4channel amp for the speakers and sub how do I go about setting up the LPF and HPF becuase it controls all channels dosent it? I would like to just run one amp though alot more neater. How many watts would my amp need to be? for a pair of splits and also 10" sub
thanks

sycvs

commo for life
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive
watts depends on what sub and splits you get but some 4 ch have individual lpf hpf some control all so have a look around and find the separate ones

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Yeah watts depends on what you buy, same as filters. I personally wouldn't touch a 4-channel amp unless it had HPF and LPF, subsonic would be a bonus.
For what you are lookin at, 50-60wrms x 4 amps will work well. Hell my first amp was 40wrms x 4, a good old Alpine MRP-F250, was great. Nowadays 50-60wrms X 4 is more common. Walk into a JB or WOW sight and sound and see whats on the walls. Get real friendly with the sales people, good discount will ensue.

To set the LPF you set it to the frequency you don't want to play above, eg 80hz works well, for a sub. For a HPF you set it for what you don't want to play below, again 80hz works well. In this setup your splits won't play below 80hz and the sub won't play above 80hz.