Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Night Photography

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
They are pretty good aurthur but if I were you I would raise the ISO and lower the make the shutter speed a bit quicker. This will prevent the lights in the photograph from bleeding past their bounds as much. Just don't go past 400 ISO otherwise you'll get pixelation.

Just my 2c :D

Not saying your wrong, more a question to learn more BUT,

If you up the ISO setting wont it make the sensor more sensitive to light, in turn over exposing the photos? Or does doing this only change your effective range on appeture and shutter speed "effectiveness"

itsArthurKomar

sexy beast
Reaction score
Members Ride
super awesome time machine
yeah man i will, :) and probably going to do a photography course also :) like the camera im using doesnt give me much of a choice for manual set up so i had to use a preset of the camera that allowed me to take descent pictures at night
Arthur, when you get your dslr, make sure you work on exposure. Most of the photos you posted are blown out badly and a few very soft (maybe more camera issue than user, no idea) :)

B-roca

I’m an F-18, bro
Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
Arthur, when you get your dslr, make sure you work on exposure. Most of the photos you posted are blown out badly and a few very soft (maybe more camera issue than user, no idea) :)

+1 to this.

Not saying your wrong, more a question to learn more BUT,

If you up the ISO setting wont it make the sensor more sensitive to light, in turn over exposing the photos? Or does doing this only change your effective range on appeture and shutter speed "effectiveness"

Yea that's why I said up the ISO and quicken up the shutter speed, which would prevent over exposing the photograph. ISO is how sensitive the sensor is to light, just like film speeds in film cameras, so by making it a bit higher you can avoid having stronger light sources in the photographs from bleeding past their bounds.

yeah man i will, :) and probably going to do a photography course also :) like the camera im using doesnt give me much of a choice for manual set up so i had to use a preset of the camera that allowed me to take descent pictures at night

Good on you mate, sure if you can do a photography course jump at the opportunity, just remember a course won't make you an instant pro photographer you need to learn by going out there and taking photographs and preferably getting feedback on them, that is the best way to learn.

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
@ B-roca. Thanks for the reply.

Just got myself a Cannon 30d so I've been experimenting with that,
might put up some pictures when I pick up my new car.

B-roca

I’m an F-18, bro
Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
@ B-roca. Thanks for the reply.

Just got myself a Cannon 30d so I've been experimenting with that,
might put up some pictures when I pick up my new car.

Good on ya mate, while I was waiting to get my Sony A290 I borrowed the schools D3000 and went around and took the photographs for one of my assessments. Unfortuently I took them all at 800 ISO and above and they all turned out like pixelated crap :D so now I only shoot at 100 ISO or 200 ISO at night.

Next on the list for me is a tripod, blur is fricken annoying

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Good on ya mate, while I was waiting to get my Sony A290 I borrowed the schools D3000 and went around and took the photographs for one of my assessments. Unfortuently I took them all at 800 ISO and above and they all turned out like pixelated crap :D so now I only shoot at 100 ISO or 200 ISO at night.

Next on the list for me is a tripod, blur is fricken annoying

Thats called cheap products.

Image is 1600 ISO 30 seconds. Printed in 16 x 24 just fine. I have 6400 ISO images that have been wall mounted for brides in 24 x 36.

crackenback.jpg

B-roca

I’m an F-18, bro
Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
Thats called cheap products.

Image is 1600 ISO 30 seconds. Printed in 16 x 24 just fine. I have 6400 ISO images that have been wall mounted for brides in 24 x 36.

Wow that shot is amazing! So when you say "that's cheap products" you mean that more expensive cameras will be able to do much higher ISO's without pixelation.
Because I'm only a budget student photographer I have only been able to use lower end cameras such as the Nikon D3000 and my Sony A290.
I'm guess I should really have more of a play with my A290 but have been rather put off anything higher than ISO 400 after the Nikon D3000 made some completely random blue pixels in the completely black background.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Wow that shot is amazing! So when you say "that's cheap products" you mean that more expensive cameras will be able to do much higher ISO's without pixelation.
Because I'm only a budget student photographer I have only been able to use lower end cameras such as the Nikon D3000 and my Sony A290.
I'm guess I should really have more of a play with my A290 but have been rather put off anything higher than ISO 400 after the Nikon D3000 made some completely random blue pixels in the completely black background.

The high end "pro cameras" will handle very high ISO. My 5d2 handles low light much better than my 1d4(so much so that the 1d4 is being sold in anticipation of a 5d3 release). I need high ISO performance for natural light portraits. The random pixels sound like hot spots, easily removed in raw :)

itsArthurKomar

sexy beast
Reaction score
Members Ride
super awesome time machine
yeah thnx man, im hoping to do a 1 ear course next year :) so hopefully i get some mods Done to the SeeDy(thought i should give it a nickname haha, comes from SIDI) :p bye the end of this year and also save some money for next year for expences and such :).
and then a course and then load and load and load of photos / when i get the DSLR also haha
+1 to this.

Yea that's why I said up the ISO and quicken up the shutter speed, which would prevent over exposing the photograph. ISO is how sensitive the sensor is to light, just like film speeds in film cameras, so by making it a bit higher you can avoid having stronger light sources in the photographs from bleeding past their bounds.

Good on you mate, sure if you can do a photography course jump at the opportunity, just remember a course won't make you an instant pro photographer you need to learn by going out there and taking photographs and preferably getting feedback on them, that is the best way to learn.