Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

No Pride In Work Anymore

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
is it just me, or are other people finding that businesses no longer want to do their job?

Ive been trying to chase sock filters for my ITB velocity stacks. Shouldn't be that hard considering theirs companies that just specialize in filters right? wrong.

i started off with UNI filters, good reputable aussie company. i wanted to make their life as easy as possible so i wrote them a detailed email, i took down all the measurements, took photos with a ruler and attached, thoroughly described what i need/ wanted. and did a final request to have them specially made in black (was willing to pay extra for this option) instead of Red, Green, Blue, Yellow as that would look tacky as hell sticking out of my bonnet not to mention cop attention.

so i sent the email off to the technical email address as i thought this is a little more specialized. no reply after a day, so re-sent it. waited 2 days, still no reply... so i forwarded it to the sales email and got a response. now i got nothing against females in the work place, but i got something against incompetent workers in the work place. even with my detailed description AND pictures, she still managed to quote me the wrong size, to the point where the internal spring that sits inside the trumpet to hold the filter up, would slip over the outside of the entire trumpet with a few mm spare to rattle around. and in regard to the colour, it was a straight no. there wasnt a 'ill get in contact with our supplier to see if we can order some black foam in' it was just 'your option is red, and only red'

i didnt bother with them after that. i did a bit of ebay searching and found a company called RAM AIR. after i did the currency conversion i could see their prices were alot cheaper then UNIs. but the main thing was they are black! so i emailed them through ebay and got a response

MS-001-WEB-2-216x216.jpg

Hi,

We do make a sock filter that is able to fit over 95mm trumpet/bellmouths, These are secured using cable ties

Sadly they not listed on eBay

i thought well thats a start! asked a couple questions about shipping and if he could put them on ebay for me to buy.

HI Andrew,

We ship everything from the UK internationally, If you can contact our office that would be great

Regards

patience was wearing thin, so i emailed through the RAM air website as he didnt provide me with anything. once again 2 days pass and still no response! so i email the ebay feller again saying i still haven't got a response..

I have found your message in our account, I will reply to it shortly

Regards

smh... so he FINALLY got back to me

Hi Andrew,

We do the CS-090, This isn’t online yet as it is a new filter

It is a single sock that has a ID of 90mm (it will of course stretch) and is secured over the bell mouth’s using a cable tie

What length are your trumpets/velocity stacks? The filters measure 150mm in height, If this is too long they can be cut down with a sharp Stanley blade

We can of course ship over to you in Australia

perfect! i sent an email back thanking him and said great, how do i order them? and asked a couple more questions. that is now a week ago with no reply, i have sent a 2nd email asking if he received my previous email and still nothing.

mind you this isnt a $10 sale, it will be between $300-$400. i mean how hard is it to reply to a email, its so much more convenient than a phone call for both parties.

so right now im in limbo, playing the waiting game

Screenshot_2016-01-16-19-23-16-1.jpg

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Totally agree on service slipping in some industries , it took an Auckland based company 6 months no less, to back to me regards a dyno-tune , excuse they gave was , a Email service error , yeah right and my ass plays the clarinet .

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I emailed trickshift a month or so ago about there manifold and shipping to nz. No reply.
I used there online enquiry form less than a week ago informing them I'm in Sydney for work in September if that makes shipping easier. Still nothing.
I might ring them next month. If that fails; I suppose ill effen fly to Brisbane next year and knock on there door!
And this is for thousands of dollars to be spent! !!!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Nope this seems typical.

I emailed an ebay supplier for a fluid filter, didn't hear back for 3 months........

You'll probably find that the average joe blogs worker at said company really doesn't care if they get one more or less sale. I did online sales/customer service work for some years, the easy enquiries are dealt with first, the harder ones take longer. It was a PITA though when you spent ages helping someone one out with technical details etc only to never hear back

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
It isn't just sales people that don't seem to give a sh!t.

Most people are all about themselves these days and everyone else can go to hell.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
On the flipside, I have recently dealt with companies in the UK and in the USA regarding parts for my Rangie. Quick response and good pricing. I dealt with 2 reps from the UK company and one at the USA company and they couldn't have been more helpful. Even after finding a local supplier for the bits I needed out of USA, and telling the rep that they were cheaper here, she was still really good. No grudge for having lost the sale.

It's fairly well known around here that this town has bad service. It is starting to turn around, more and more places I go to are starting to realize that the customer pays their wages so they need to provide the best service they can. Years ago, before the explosion of online sales, people here had the attitude that you have to travel to Perth to buy what you need and we are the only ones down here that have it, so what choice do you have. Now, I think the retail industry down here is getting better.

As far as online purchasing goes, I don't think I have been messed around or had no contact in anything that I have bought.

A little story to reinforce my experience. Bought a camera off Ebay, the advertised postage price turned out to be too low, the seller told me this. I offered to meet him halfway with the extra for postage otherwise it would have made the whole purchase to expensive for what I was getting. On this occasion I didn't hear from the guy for about a week. Sent him another message telling him I'm happy to pay half of the extra postage or he can refund me the total amount. Still no word for a couple of days, then lo and behold, a package arrives with the camera. He sends it anyway. I tried contacting him to offer to pay him a little extra but still no word. True, I had no response from the guy, but the end result was actually good.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
A lot of it boils down to your contact point.

I find that if I find a good person at a company they get repeat business - if not I just file them under "people I've cancelled orders with".

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Main issue is a lot of niche company's are having trouble going from thinking local to global...My son runs a small home brewing business and has had trouble with US and Uk business feeling trepidation for shipping 1/2 way around the planet for small orders :) so he uses mail forwarding business in the respective countries as most ship free inside their zones,then they forward ship to aus....
Imagine walking into a business and there is 120 ppl in line in front of you ;) thats what company's have to deal with when they are using online sales and email is the only form of contact...another way to get their attention is ring them :D Ive found when I do this I tend to be able to work out a happy compromise...that said being put on hold for 20 min gets bloody expensive

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
now im torn between 'do i email them again' or 'do i wait X amount of time for them to get back to me'

and its very easy to piss someone off via written message. i can dig myself a hole if he decides to bump the prices up because ive been flooding his inbox.

and i would completely understand where he would be coming from. ive been on both ends of this. at my old job as a sales person, i was constantly bombarded with email enquires.

i had a template which i use to copy and paste with the usual bullshit 'thanks for your enquire, we will endeavour to respond back asap' yada yada.

but there would always be that one person who would send a second email or call, then you have two people wasting their time on the same enquiry.

dont know how people cant comprehend the more money going into your bosses pocket means the longer you have a job.

and with the unemployment rate, and every tom dick and harry looking for a job, you best hold onto what youve got

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
In my job I deal with many different stakeholders and am on the phone quite a bit. 'Phone tag' is common. About 70% of my calls are returned considering suppliers, clients and other regulatory bodies.