Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

normal air intake vs pod filter vs cold air intake: fuel economy

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
Need it locked lol. Seems to be excavated a lot

Sent from my HTC One

hssteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy berlina series 2 7seater wagon
Well I say pod over Box filter even k&n box filter allday long k&n box filter at regular driving temperature sits halfway between hot and cold with my pod couple little adjustment regular driving temperature is one bar below half but go the box filters guys so I can keep my tricks under my own hood every second counts !

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
^^^ Cool story bro, but intake temps have little to do with running temps. Also, this thread is ancient.

It's also pretty well documented that there is basically nothing between them performance wise.

hssteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy berlina series 2 7seater wagon
Well that's what I thought but going fast on a cents not dollars is my thing knowledge is the key turbo superchargers forces air faster in too you engine try the wreckers holden you want a second hand air flow meter off a v8jackaroo turbo diesel engine or something quicker than yours well you should find out what holden drinks the most fule and take its air flow since meter

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Okay then Mr. Troll.

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Well that's what I thought but going fast on a cents not dollars is my thing knowledge is the key turbo superchargers forces air faster in too you engine try the wreckers holden you want a second hand air flow meter off a v8jackaroo turbo diesel engine or something quicker than yours well you should find out what holden drinks the most fule and take its air flow since meter

Do you even english? Got a headache trying to read that...

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
Thats umpossible!

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Wow what a difference, so glad I spent that $270 its so worth it...

Before my fuel economy was 8.5L / 100 and now would you believe it my new economy now is 8.5L / 100

It's going to pay off so fast

(Customer testimony) ....

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Don't you worry I would never actually spend any money on a cai or pod or any of that make believe junk. Haha

Now shut this thread down mods!!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Go and find my thread on Standard air intake (including K&N filter/ Super6 CAI) Vs MACE CAI (enclosed pod filter) which has proper data-logged intake air temp results for various driving conditions to get the truth.

But just in case you can't be bothered, the MACE CAI is better everywhere when used on VR/VS model Commodores, by that I mean cooler air intake temps. If you don't believe that cooler air intake temps make a difference, well good for you.

FYI, in the standard ecotec V6 tune, air intake temps above 22° C it will start to remove ignition timing but below it will add a little ;)

/close thread.